Utilities

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
28 Feb 2013 8:14 AM by tamaraessex Star rating in Colmenar, Malaga. 508 posts Send private message

tamaraessex´s avatar
I was at a dinner a couple of months ago when one Brit boasted about climbing over the wall and getting his water from next door so his bill plummetted. Nobody else looked as shocked as I did, and one other guy suggested the first chap could do the same for his electricity quite easily as the house next door was still on builders' supply. It was like they didn't think they were stealing. Until I asked his wife how it felt to be a gangster's moll.

Blog about settling into a village house in the Axarquía. http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/tamara.aspx

Like 0      
28 Feb 2013 9:36 AM by Mungry Star rating. 329 posts Send private message

well if the washing machine is on and its boiler fed (not my expertise)

its also making sure your boiler is working overtime so thats double.

but as for the thermostat in the boiler.

i highly recommend not touching it.

i have turned them down in one or two houses because i just dont need piping hot water in the summer and after i touched what was working they suddenly became tempromental.
They would trip out and do all kinds of stuff

if it works i say leave it

i coldnt stay away from you miserable whining whingers for some reason

Like 0      
28 Feb 2013 12:39 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Re the thermostat for hot water.

There no point in having the water hotter than hand hot. As you will be paying to heat the water then cool it down. The thermostat will click when you turn the adjuster, when it turns on or off.

With mine I have fitted a light to show when  the power is actually being used to heat the water, that is in addition to the switch which just shows it is turned on,  i.e with the potential to heat the water when it falls below the set temperature.

Like 0      
28 Feb 2013 12:47 PM by Mungry Star rating. 329 posts Send private message

exactly what i thought and i thought i was being energy efficient turning it down in 2 different houses.

out of the 12 houses i had in spain i did it in 2

and those were the problematic ones.and now i just leave it alone.

i coldnt stay away from you miserable whining whingers for some reason

Like 0      
28 Feb 2013 1:01 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Mungry,  
                     Guess you were unlucky.

For several years I did repairs on holiday rental apartments (about 50 or so).  I never had any problems.  I was for ever turning down thermostats which had been turned up my people staying . They of course were not concerned about how much power was consumed.  Like those who used the A/C and then open the windows to warm up or cool down, when they over did  it.

Like 0      
28 Feb 2013 1:31 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

With mine I have fitted a light to show when the power is actually being used to heat the water, that is in addition to the switch which just shows it is turned on..............................................

This made me smile. As a child the airing cupboard with the imersion heater was in my bedroom. This was only allowed on on certain days and my Dad fitted a bright orange light outside the cupboard so he could tell at a glance whether we were cheating his system! Happy days.

Poppyseed

Like 0      
28 Feb 2013 1:48 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Poppy
                My reason is:  

I have solar water heating but when we have had a couple of days without sun, I use the emersion heater. 

I try to have it set to just hand hot, but tank thermostats are not precise, so between being off and turning on, and the off again, the water can be too hot or too cold.   

With the extra warning light, I can easily keep an eye on what is happening.

I wish I could buy a digital tank thermostat,  but I have not been able to locate one (if they even exist) .  If anyone can help I would appreciate it.

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Pool Safety - suggestions please - 9 posts
Sun - satellite outages - possible interruption to signal - UK TV Costa Blanca - Calida - 2 posts
Lowest Price Wireless Internet - 0 posts
In the Alpujarra - 0 posts
Summer Car Hire - 0 posts
can anyone help - 1 posts
can anyone help please - 0 posts
can anyone help please - 0 posts
hi can anyone help please - 1 posts
Car tax 2013 - 3 posts
Buying Fish in the Supermarket - 8 posts
Living in El Galan - 2 posts
Kristina Szekely Real Estate filing for Bankruptcy - 0 posts
Whats the "Coolest solution" to Air Con - Inverters or Non Inverters - 5 posts
Bacchus on the Oasis estate, Los Alcazares. Great food - 13 posts
Capital Gains Tax - 37 posts
Property tax advice - 4 posts
Wildlife in Axarquia - 0 posts
Falling pound, but a silver lining - 25 posts
A building not conforming to current standards, what does this mean? - 6 posts
Looking for second airconditioning unit. - 3 posts
Lack of Response by Spanish entities. - 1 posts
Car Insurance in Spain - 4 posts
Out of the blue Social Security Bill for 7.5k - 13 posts
Longer term Car Rental on Costa Del Sol - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 27

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x