Ryanair - An open letter that says it all

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
03 Jan 2013 3:56 PM by Sten46 Star rating in Hatton, Derbyshire &.... 243 posts Send private message

Thanks for the speedy reply, fb - taxi from LHR to Nottingham would add a bit to the 70e one-way fare, though!

Steve

Steve.

Like 0      
03 Jan 2013 4:17 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

sten46

Absolutely! Which is one of the reasons we dont use LGW unless we have to. Taxi from Portsmouth to Gatwick is currently around £55 one way and its only 50 miles...

Our preferred UK airport is Southampton, still £25 taxi from Portsmouth but so much more civilised than LGW or LHR. This does impose a limiting factor though in that we tend to use Flybe to Malaga which is our nearest Spanish airport. We then use the coach from Malaga to our Granada village for the princely sum of just 6.75€...

Flybe could be an alternative for you if you could consider LBA or MAN as a viable UK airport. For that matter even SOU is viable with a decent train service from Nottingham or Derby direct to Southampton Airport!

fb

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      
03 Jan 2013 4:23 PM by nfm2862 Star rating in Welling, Kent & Al A.... 1460 posts Send private message

nfm2862´s avatar
I have just priced up return flights with Ryanair, London to Almeria for 17th -31st August with the total cost amounting to £895 for 2 people with one piece of 15kg checked in luggage each.

Easyjet want £793 for the same dates with 20kg checked luggage each.

The same dates, London to Alicante with BA have a total cost of £625 with one piece of 23kg checked luggage each.

So for an extra one hour journey in each direction, I can save either £168 or £270 - How is it possible for Ryanair & Easyjet to promote themselves as "budget airlines" when they quite clearly, are anything but?

In fact I could travel Business Class with BA for only £30 more than the Ryanair price (& have a total of 6 times more luggage!)

www.alandaluscarhire.com

www.vera-apartment.com

www.verathalassa.es 

Like 0      
03 Jan 2013 4:25 PM by MetGB Star rating. 52 posts Send private message

Exactly nfm, I rest my case - budget my backside.

Like 0      
03 Jan 2013 5:18 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

Simply put it is a fact that people have got used to the idea of local airport to local airport travel using aircraft almost as a glorified bus service and this to some extent is where Ryanair excel.

The snag is that like many UK bus companies, Arriva, First, and Stagecoach for example, having established a local client base they are at liberty to ascibe their own conditions and fares. Seasonal variations in fares are a prime example, as soon as the kids are on school holidays fares virtually double overnight. The airlines would answer this by saying that it helps to offset the losses through the periods when the kids are at school, which is of course total BS because as soon as the client base starts to drift away, the operators simply upsticks and go elsewhwere to cultivate another client base.

Ryanair have this down to a fine art; they cite almost any reason for moving out of an established location, air bridges, airport passenger taxes anything... Alicante is a case in point...Last year they cut something like 50% of their services, but when one takes a closer look at the actual destinations that were withdrawn they were the much smaller and less popular destinations which are no doubt being subsidised by the vastly more popular UK, German and French destinations...

Good for business up to a point because there will always be those who demand local to local and the likes of Ryan are only too happy to oblige... at a price... and provided the local authorities are prepared to offer considerable subsidiies.

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

legal question if someone can help me please - 3 posts
Honda CRV luxury - 4 posts
trigger - 3 posts
Happy 2013 from Costaluzlawyers - 4 posts
A Record to be proud of.. - 1 posts
Non Resident Taxes HELP/ADVICE NEEDED - 13 posts
Prescriptions can anyone help - 2 posts
Wanted 3-6 month Rental Property - 1 posts
Costructing my European identity further - 1 posts
Spanish House exchange - 5 posts
What happened to the ICP? - 8 posts
Help for a non-EU citizen wanting to spend time in Spain - 0 posts
How much reduction is it customary to ask for on asking price - 28 posts
Robin-Hood-Style Politics -Tax the Rich to feed the Poor - 18 posts
Electricity in Spain, does anyone understand it? - 86 posts
Too late for an accomodation in Madrid for New Eve? - 2 posts
this ought to cheer everyone up - 1 posts
Brummie who moved to Oz seeks renewed contact - 0 posts
Newbie here :) - 1 posts
Long Term Parking at Malaga Airport - 0 posts
Septic tank on old property, what to do - 4 posts
Merry Christmas - 0 posts
Remote controlled cars - 2 posts
Some Help please - 7 posts
Great Spanish Crash - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 25

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x