So.............

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
13 Oct 2012 7:02 PM by sheerdrop Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

Do any "moving to..........." posts on this get any replies or is it a wee bit beneath you all :D Justy noticed all of these posts have no replies. Ach well we are "moving to............" get yes all (toungue is firmly in cheek :D) 

Like 0      
13 Oct 2012 7:45 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

They may be a element of (find out yourself, we had to) but no, not beneath us.

A lot of "we are moving to" posts are from people who really maybe shouldn't be considering moving at all and are just looking for positive encouragement to fuel their half baked ideas. A good example is people with older school age children that intend to uproot them just before exam time or people with no hope of getting  a job and no real plans of how they are going to get by, people who think they are pensioners at 50.

Another example " I am a single mother and along with my toddler we are moving to Marbella next year, can anybody tell me what child care costs are" 

The best advice for anyone moving to anywhere in Spain is bring enough money with you to last at least a year better two.

Like 0      
13 Oct 2012 7:48 PM by sheerdrop Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

"Another example " I am a single mother and along with my toddler we are moving to Marbella next year, can anybody tell me what child care costs are" "

So if it was me I would say child care costs are............... but perhaps this is not the right forum for me :) Enjoy your 2 years funded by my banking (i'm guessing your a banker) 

Like 0      
13 Oct 2012 10:09 PM by maddiemack Star rating in Grantham, Lincolnshi.... 194 posts Send private message

Hi Sheerdrop..

It's easy to give someone advice but, it it's GOOD advice you want, you will have to provide a more comprehensive explanation of your circumstances...which goes for anyone wanting advice on some aspect of moving to Spain. I guess you've done your homework and have a pretty good idea of whether you can get work in Gibraltar fairly easily.  If you're thinking of moving to Spain even if you don't secure a job before you go, it's excellent advice to ensure you have enough cash to live on for at least a year.  In these dificult times, with jobs being difficult to come by, two years cash to live on isn't 'pie in the sky'.  Perhaps you have skills that put you in a great position as far as jobs are concerned?  Gibraltar is probably one of the better places to be as far as obtaining employment goes....as-well-as schooling for your ten-year-old.

As far as settling into life here as a ten-year-old is concerned, it really does depend on your child.  As a teacher for many years, I would say...if your child is the type to revel in new experiences and enjoy the challenges they bring, it won't take her long to make new friends and settle into her new life!

Tell us more and we can be of more help.  We all know that you can spend hours on the net doing your research but there's nothing better than getting information from folks you can correspond with and get the 'real' lowdown!  Good luck!

Like 0      
13 Oct 2012 10:29 PM by gerrryuk Star rating in Mezquitilla, near To.... 179 posts Send private message

gerrryuk´s avatar

Good advice Maddie, give enough & you'll get back better, it'a working for me !

Like 0      
13 Oct 2012 10:36 PM by tamaraessex Star rating in Colmenar, Malaga. 508 posts Send private message

tamaraessex´s avatar
And l've answered your "Moving in March" thread :-)

Blog about settling into a village house in the Axarquía. http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/tamara.aspx

Like 0      
13 Oct 2012 11:08 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar

Sheerdrop, one thing I would suggest (in addition to having sufficient funds to last a while if you haven't found employment before relocating here) is, if you are considering putting your 10yr old into a Spanish state school, to give him/her spanish lessons before arriving.  At that age he/she may find it difficult to integrate without knowledge of Spanish - even if there are English speaking children in the school.  Unless you are resident in Gibraltar/have a Gibraltar address you will not be able to enrol your child in one of the schools there.  The fees of international schools in the area (from Sotogrande to Marbella) are well in excess of €10,000 pa.  We relocated to Spain three years ago and chose to place our son (who had just turned 10 at the time) in an international school as it was less disruptive for him and he had no knowledge of the Spanish language.   He has settled well and loves it here.

You talk about finding employment in Gibraltar - but from your initial question (on another thread) it appears you don't intend to live there.   A lot of people who work in Gibraltar tend to live between La Linea (very Spanish) and Manilva (Duquesa especially, many British there), as the commute is pretty simple.

As maddiemack says, the more information you can provide, the more advice others can offer.

Like 0      
13 Oct 2012 11:26 PM by davmunster Star rating in Carvajal\Belfast. 843 posts Send private message

davmunster´s avatar

No idea about schools as it was never relevant for us but NO ONE who posts on here has ever been in a British or Irish bar - they ALL speak fluent Spanish and are fully integated with the natives

David

Like 0      
14 Oct 2012 10:27 AM by maddiemack Star rating in Grantham, Lincolnshi.... 194 posts Send private message

God forbid! lol

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Require details of the Bank(s) which funded AIFOS with Hacienda Marina, Belamadina - 0 posts
Moving in March - 12 posts
Hello :) - 0 posts
2 Seater Setee for sale - 0 posts
FOLD UP ALLOY BIKE - 0 posts
Non Residents Income Tax (Impuesto sobre la Renta de no Residentes) Form 210 - 0 posts
La Zenia Boulavard.....Superb - 1 posts
El campo - 0 posts
FOLD UP ALLOG BIKE - 0 posts
ORANGE GAS BOTTLE - 0 posts
RENAULT RX4 SPORT - 0 posts
Internet and Telephone - 6 posts
A company called Sun Coast Leisure in Marbella - 20 posts
Pine Dresser for Sale - 1 posts
Help Travelling please How to get to Reus - 6 posts
Help Travelling please How to get to Reus - 3 posts
Number of Spanish Millionaires is going to double - 7 posts
Nobel Peace Prize 2012 for the European Union - What do you think? - 15 posts
Ayamonte area. - 0 posts
Nueva Sierra De Altomira Urbanisation - 0 posts
Handy Man Required - 5 posts
Introduction - 0 posts
Moving to Almeria - 0 posts
Cam Bank/Cleyton GES Final legal decision - 2 posts
fishing licence for Murcia - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x