Moving from NIE to residencia

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
18 Apr 2012 10:25 PM by auntielinda Star rating in San Miguel de Salina.... 646 posts Send private message

Whatever you say John you can only pay tax in one country 

Great Auntie Linda

Like 0      
19 Apr 2012 8:24 AM by elaineG Star rating in Spain . 409 posts Send private message

Sorry Auntie but you are wrong. 

John is right. 

You cannot choose where you pay tax. 

If it should be in Spain and you decide to pay in UK then you still are liable to pay in Spain

Like 0      
19 Apr 2012 8:50 AM by auntielinda Star rating in San Miguel de Salina.... 646 posts Send private message

I am merely stating my experience which is what this forum is about, the HMRC contacted me to ask whether I wanted to be taxed in UK or Spain as my pensions are paid by UK .

I elected Spain as I think if you commit to live in a country you should pay your tax there, it is not the same for Government pensions they don't have the choice, even though they are resident in Spain they have to pay tax in the UK.

You may be getting the wrong end of the stick, you are both right in a sense but may not have considered those in receipt of these type of pensions, if you are a house owner or resident of Spain you do have to file a tax return, hence the reason my hubby files a NIL return & he isn't the only person I know,  who does that so they can't all be wrong nw can they. 

Great Auntie Linda

Like 0      
19 Apr 2012 9:01 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Auntie,  If you read my post, repeated below, you will see it was not me who was confused.

I said

Thanks Aunties, that’s what I said.

But just to make it clear.         

For a person who is Tax Resident in Spain.   

A UK government pension, which taxable only in UK,  is a pension paid to a former government employee.  Such a pension is ignored in Spain.

A   UK government 'old age pension'  is taxable only in Spain.

Like 0      
05 May 2012 11:37 AM by rapp Star rating. 22 posts Send private message

Last year my wife and I obtained our Residentia and as I understand it due to a Double Taxaton agreement we do not have to pay tax in Spain if we have already  paid it in the UK.

We have requested and received a certificate from HMRC stating we pay our taxes in the UK.

What forms do I need and where, in order to file this certificate.  We live just inside the Cordoba boarder.

I do not wish to spend large sums of money employing Accountants for what on the face of it should be an easy matter.

rapp

This message was last edited by rapp on 05/05/2012.

Like 0      
05 May 2012 12:58 PM by GuyT Star rating. 511 posts Send private message

what on the face of it should be an easy matter

ha ha ha. how much time have you spent in spain?

Like 0      
05 May 2012 1:54 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Rapp

There is no possibility of being able to choose where you pay tax. The law dictates where you must pay.

If one is tax resident in Spain then, just like USA, one  must declare their worldwide assets in Spain

Exception are:-

A UK government pension is taxable only in UK (that’s a pension paid to a former government employee, not an O.A.P).  Such a pension is ignored in Spain.  And tax on rentals income generated in UK., that too is paid in UK

A   UK government 'old age pension'  is taxable only in Spain.

Double taxation agreements between countries vary from country to county but in general they are to ensure that you do not pay tax in two jurisdictions. So, for example,  having paid tax on an OAP in Spain you do not have to pay again in UK.  They have nothing to do with choosing where you pay.

There is no possibility of being able to choose where you pay tax. The law dictates where you must pay.

Like 0      
10 May 2012 7:53 PM by twinmummy Star rating in Formentera del segur.... 82 posts Send private message

Hey, if life ain't complicated enough, some people are not so lucky to have a choice in where they live or what law they are able to follow. In my opinion the only way someone as never broken a law in their lifetime is if they have the means financially to be able to follow them. Just my opinion but i am sure other less fortunate people would agree how nice it would be for a simple life. X...

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

taking dogs to murcia - 1 posts
Help Please - 18 posts
TV problem with community 'rules'. Help? - 0 posts
TV problem with community 'rules'. Help? - 50 posts
Is it a good idea to go for buy to let now? - 25 posts
the problem with the ENDESA ON LINE WEBSITE! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr !!!! - 15 posts
BARGAIN - Stunning White Sofa + Matching Furniture For Sale - 0 posts
Edinburgh Crystal Decanters - 2 posts
help - 0 posts
help - 4 posts
best bank for direct debits for utilities - non resident ! - 5 posts
Driving to costa blanca from calais - 7 posts
Car Malaga hire - 6 posts
quesada to gibralter - 10 posts
El calon - 3 posts
Help with Santa Greenhills - 4 posts
FURNITURE WANTED - Costa Del Sol - Elvira Area - 0 posts
health care coin area - 0 posts
car for sale - 0 posts
FREE Gatwick/Valencia flights 11/04/12 ~ 09/05/12 - 0 posts
Car insurance question - 5 posts
Taxis from Malaga - 8 posts
Kitten Wanted - 1 posts
Car Wanted! - 2 posts
As in the UK so it shall be in Spain... - 9 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 28

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x