Foreign registered cars - Is there a crackdown going on?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
03 Apr 2012 12:00 AM by keatsfan Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

I have seen a lot of police (local and Guardia Civil) stopping foreign plated cars over the last few weeks here in Sitges. We are still waiting for our residency papers, so cannot register our car locally yet. I am wondering what will happen if we get stopped.

Also, it seems the process to register a foreign car in Spain is difficult and expensive. We are thinking of keeping this car in Switzerland (where we have a business) and buying a 2nd hand car here in Spain (or even a long term rental). We have been here for a few months and will likely only stay another year.

Appreciate any thoughts or general advice.

keatsfan

Like 0      
03 Apr 2012 11:51 AM by carolk7 Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

I would buy a spanish plated car, second hand cars are expensive in Spain but some people returning back to their own countries are often selling them reasonable enough.

Like 0      
03 Apr 2012 2:19 PM by mobailey Star rating in San Cayetano. 461 posts Send private message

mobailey´s avatar

To keatsfan you have 6 months in which to transfer your car on to Spanish plates.  It is not that expensive unless you need new headlights so they point the right way,  this depends on the car some have adjustable headlights or are centered and so do not need adjusting the car we bought over had centered lights and did not need changing.  As for the police cracking down I would think this is happening as they have to raise more money and this is a easy way to do it.  

Mo&Bryan www.bryansblinds.com &  www.discovercostacalida.info Why not see if can we help  

Like 0      
03 Apr 2012 2:28 PM by keatsfan Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

My car is a '98 BMW 328i Cabrio. I imagine the headlights are ok. Is there any way to know what the registration costs (barring anything unforeseen) will be before the registration process? I ask, because we have the option of leaving this car in Zurich and buying a 2nd hand car in Barcelona. 

2nd hand cars are a bit pricier in Spain, but if it saves us time and expense to buy one here, then so be it.

Thanks all!

Like 0      
03 Apr 2012 2:38 PM by mobailey Star rating in San Cayetano. 461 posts Send private message

mobailey´s avatar

ITV (MOT) is around 50 euros and you will have to pay for new plates ours were about 25 euros but to be honest it should be cheaper to replate the car than buy a second hand one.   If you do decide to bring the car to Spain go to the British consul in Alicante and get a Baja as this will stop you having to pay import duty.  The baja is a document that show you have bought thecar here for your own use and not with the intention of selling it on, this means you can not sell it for 12 months.  Hope this helps.

Mo&Bryan www.bryansblinds.com &  www.discovercostacalida.info Why not see if can we help  

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Euribor versus IRPH - 4 posts
New ITV centre San Pedro - 5 posts
chiclana - 0 posts
Same old problem. - 5 posts
looking to buy a car and assistant - 1 posts
ADVICE FOR A BANK - 9 posts
Public Speaking Conference in Marbella - 1 posts
If Spain did reintroduce the peseta... - 37 posts
Julie - 1 posts
Kyero???? Gone??? - 2 posts
The Sherrif of nottinham rides again - 9 posts
Warning against a scammer sending messages to members - 13 posts
Retirement in Spain - 0 posts
New laws and taxes on bringing uk car on uk plates. - 33 posts
New rules on NIE and Residencia - 138 posts
Applyling for Spanish Nationality - 24 posts
IBI TAX AND WHO PAYS IT? - 7 posts
please recommend a reliable car mechanic - 3 posts
Where are they now? - 2 posts
Registering on the EU Citizens Register (replaced the Residencia) The form in English - 53 posts
DO I NEED AN NIE NUM TO OPEN A NON RESIDENT BANK ACCOUNT - 11 posts
Party walls/fences - 5 posts
Spanish registered car for sale in UK - 3 posts
Cancel my Residencia - 53 posts
In Europe Sticking To The Rules Matters - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x