Endesa electricity supply

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
18 Feb 2012 12:00 AM by Marilyn Rees Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Hi Alex,

We moved into our apartment about a year ago and paid 524,37 euros for the connection to Endesa who were to upgrade our power supply to 16.7 kw to accomodate the underfloor heating. We are paying around 65 euros per month standing charge and would very much like to find a cheaper provider.

Unfortunately, we can only get the underfloor heating to work in two rooms at any one time and even then with a limited heat. Having read your blog we are unsure whether Endesa have actually upgraded our power supply since there is no visible ICP installed. In fact, when Endesa carried out the upgrading work we do not think that they gained internal access to our apartment.

We do not know whether our supply is adequate or indeed whether underfloor heating and/or  the thermosatats are faulty.

We need a good electrician!

Can you contact us privately to make arrangements for a visit?

Thanks,     Marilyn

Like 0      
18 Feb 2012 9:33 PM by villamarre Star rating. 13 posts Send private message

Hola

I have been dealing with Endesa for 2 years after receiving notification that we had to have an ICP fitted,we duly did all the work and contacted Endesa and waited for nearly 2 years for them to come and inspect and seal the ICP and upgrade our "potencia contratada" from 6.57 to 8.050 KW.After raising 2 official complaints at their office in Huelva an engineer came out and changed our meter to a new digital meter and when I asked him to come in and inspect the ICP he said he didn't have to.Because I can speak Spanish I chatted to him and it transpires that they can now program the new meters to cut your electric supply like the ICP would if you draw more current than you are contracted for,thus making the ICP redundant.This will mean that they can catch all the houses that draw more electric than they are contracted for and wont have to issue everyone notices to have ICP's installed.

Like 0      
19 Feb 2012 9:02 PM by costa.del.sky Star rating. 97 posts Send private message

However, you upgraded your supply which sometimes they change the meter for, whist its true that these meters are now becoming more common, as long as you have an ICP installed in your property, they cannot force you to change the meter at a later date (or at least not yet). 

They cannot oblige you to change meter if you dont 1) Ask for it or 2) Upgrade your supply.

Reason being is that when changing the meter they are obliged to charge you a connection fee for disconnecting the old one and connecting the new one. The companies WILL NOT pay it themselves (30million homes x 20€ connection fee =no no) They make the customer pay for it, by making it obligatory when they 1)Dont have an ICP fitted already and request the ELECTRIC COMPANY fits it or 2)When you upgrade supply.

You could have avoided changing your meter by having it fitted by a qualified electrician registered in Spainand avoiding calling our your provider. Did you report the change when it was done to the electricity board? If you did, they will NOT have been able to charge you the "recargo por falta de ICP" fee, and you would have been better keeping hush hush in my opinion, as at the end of the day its just a way for them to make money. The cables to property in England can handle 100amp, and so can newer properties in Spain, to limit someone to 20amp or 25amp for tariff reasons is silly. If you use it you pay for it. Difference here is, no matter what you use, no matter if your property is EMPTY, they are always certain of at least 26€ a month from you. Be it via your tariff, meterbox rental, and taxes.

ICP devices do not exist and are not used in the UK... There would be uproar. Its a shame over here it is accepted.

Like 0      
19 Feb 2012 9:11 PM by costa.del.sky Star rating. 97 posts Send private message

I have been dealing with Endesa for 2 years after receiving notification that we had to have an ICP fitted,we duly did all the work and contacted Endesa and waited for nearly 2 years for them to come and inspect and seal the ICP and upgrade our "potencia contratada" from 6.57 to 8.050 KW.

In these two years, were you charged "un recargo por falta de ICP" fee? 

After raising 2 official complaints at their office in Huelva an engineer came out and changed our meter to a new digital meter and when I asked him to come in and inspect the ICP he said he didn't have to.Because I can speak Spanish I chatted to him and it transpires that they can now program the new meters to cut your electric supply like the ICP would if you draw more current than you are contracted for,thus making the ICP redundant.

Correct, but by changing the tariff you were on, they changed the meter for the new one with the ICP device built in. Do you or did you really need 8kw? Most homes are sufficient with 5.5kw and a 25amp ICP.

I generally recieve phone calls from Endesa from properties where I have installed an ICP in the past, they ask me if I fitted it and I say yes, avoiding the need for them to send around additional folk to inspect. That is most likely what happened to you. (When I call endesa to report it fitted they call back after a week or so).

Were you having problems with your 6.57kw supply? At the end of the day, you have only increased it by 1.5kw, which is roughly half what a kettle uses, so you havent increased very much...

Like 0      
21 Feb 2012 2:22 PM by villamarre Star rating. 13 posts Send private message

No we werent charged because we are on liberalised market tariff,also they only charge the increase when they check the ICP which we had installed.

We never had problems with the supply before 6.57KW but we were unlimited before we had ICP fitted and as we have pool,4 water heaters and 4 bedrooms
 I calculated what we could use as an extreme and then had that supplied and we have only tripped out once in 2 years and that was because everything was on including dishwasher and tumble dryer.

Our meter doesnt have ICP fitted we had already had it installed because we received the letter from Endesa stating that we had to,but now that the new meters are programmable I dont think they are bothered with ICP unless you change supplier/tarriff/contract.  

We did use a qualified electrician to carry out the work and he supplied us with all the necessary certification,we had to have the meter changed wecause we were 3 fase before and single phase now ,but as i said all the meters are being replaced free of charge in our area and the whole of spain has to be completed by 2015 see below

endesadistribucion es/ES/subdominios/endesadistribucion/faqs-tg.asp?lang= 

Like 0      
21 Feb 2012 9:59 PM by costa.del.sky Star rating. 97 posts Send private message

I took some pictures today of the meter with the ICP built in if you are interested in seeing them, there is also the sticker in the photos too.

http://www.satellitetvcostadelsol.com/electrical-icp-meters-and-tariffs

Like 0      
02 Feb 2013 1:22 PM by lizh Star rating in Estepona/London. 161 posts Send private message

Anyone else being overchaged by Endesa? Had Mad bill? What have you done?

What is it with Endesa? Our house is empty except when on holiday there. We were ticking along with Endesa charging an average of €75 a month. Then we asked for the potencia reduced from 17 to 10 and they insisted we have an ICP fitted INSTEAD of a new meter!!.  Since reduced potencia (10)  the ICP trips out if we have four hob rings on at the same time as the oven!  At that point the average bill went UP to €185 a month (empty house mind)  and after taking this in November we got a November/December bill for €1600!  I think they've lost their marbles. Electrician battling to sort it out for us. I haven't paid €1600 but that's a worry.  

Like 0      
02 Feb 2013 3:57 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar
If your electricity is tripping out on 10kw (that's 43A) then you need to get someone to check your equipment out. If you're not using electricity, the most you should pay is about €23 a month.
7.5kw should be ample for any domestic property (and we have 5.75 with no tripping out at all even with being all electric) unless you're using half a dozen fan heaters, all the rings on the oven and boiling a couple of kettles while running a hair dryer!
Seriously, if you are drawing 43A then there is something wrong. The bills are also very wrong. No-one tapping into your supply when you aren't there? (Like the caravan site, maybe)

Like 0      
02 Feb 2013 5:45 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar
Actually, going by the Iberdrola website which should be about the same, the standing charge for 17kw should be around €45 a month including tax and for 10kw about €20 a month including tax. The ICP is a way of limiting the amount of power you are contracted for.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

multi use broadband for a community - 2 posts
Memory Foam Mattress Toppers - 2 posts
Ryanair - Alicante Airport - 1 posts
Not all thieves are stupid - 1 posts
Property market - 2 posts
Legalising Minutes - 5 posts
SPAIN'S CORRUPTION CRISIS - 0 posts
Polaris world - 5 posts
Los Altos De Las Palas - 2 posts
Medical expenses - 1 posts
Online Community Website - 7 posts
Translator - 3 posts
Vera Playa Al Andalus Hills, offered a bank repo - 12 posts
Telefonica - 5 posts
Torrox Costa (Any Info would be gratefully received) - 5 posts
Air Europa vs Easyjet - 3 posts
mortage applied for and now stuck in the system - 4 posts
Help required using IKEA website in Spain - 2 posts
Endesa - 12 posts
Weight loss in Spain !! - 1 posts
Careful with your credit cards - 0 posts
Saw this in the seaside gazette, made me smile. - 0 posts
Spain's Rip-Off Dentists! - 48 posts
Novosol Property Rental - 2 posts
Help with Spanish Translation - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x