Have I really won the lottery?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
06 Feb 2012 12:00 AM by Eva2008 Star rating in Reading. 152 posts Send private message

Eva2008´s avatar

Hi all,

Just got a letter through the post (in Reading Berkshire), from Spain...

The letter head is ABC.es and the title says

INT'L AWARD PROMOTION 2011/2012 - La primitiva europa

LOTTERIA DE NAVIDAD 2011 INTERNATIONAL SWEEP STAKE

RE: AWARD CLAIM NOTIFICATION FINAL NOTICE

Basically, it says, that I have won a share of the El-Gordo De La Primitiva  Sweep Stake Lottery/International award program, held in madrid on the 22nd Dec 2011 and that I must claim the money by 17 Feb 2012.

I am to fill out a claims form and fax it to them (form asks for my banks details).

Anyone else got one of these or shall I tell by boss where to stick his job now?

Like 0      
06 Feb 2012 2:21 PM by gcarton Star rating. 144 posts Send private message

I think you will find it's a con trying to get bank details. Did you buy a ticket?

Guy

Like 0      
06 Feb 2012 2:27 PM by Eva2008 Star rating in Reading. 152 posts Send private message

Eva2008´s avatar

I was in Spain a few months ago, but cannot remember buying a ticket!

The letter says that 56940 tickets were purchased by Andalucia Vista, and that all participants were selected through a computer ballot and my name was attached to ticket number 054-9879 blah blah, serial number 01-4231.

Like 0      
06 Feb 2012 2:28 PM by steve and anita Star rating in in San Cayetano. 324 posts Send private message

steve and anita´s avatar

Hi, and congratulations if you have won !!!

Personally, I would check out online and see if you can find the results of the draw, I found the website a long time ago and cant remember what the website was, tho Im sure theres others with the results.

Please dont give out your bank details without confirmation  !!!!!

Regards.

Like 0      
06 Feb 2012 2:32 PM by Eva2008 Star rating in Reading. 152 posts Send private message

Eva2008´s avatar

This is the web link that it says I can check my ticket!

http://loteria.abc.es

its all looking good!

Like 0      
06 Feb 2012 2:34 PM by gcarton Star rating. 144 posts Send private message

06 Feb 2012 2:35 PM by steve and anita Star rating in in San Cayetano. 324 posts Send private message

steve and anita´s avatar

Thats great then, but still check it out well, too many scams going on at the moment.

You are welcome round for a drink if you have won !!!!  lol.

Best of luck to you.

Like 0      
06 Feb 2012 2:45 PM by Eva2008 Star rating in Reading. 152 posts Send private message

Eva2008´s avatar

Actually Steve and Anita, its beginning to look a bit fishy..the letter says there was a mix up and that I should keep it quiet for security reasons...lol

Damm, wish I'd not quit my job before posting!

Like 0      
06 Feb 2012 2:47 PM by Eva2008 Star rating in Reading. 152 posts Send private message

Eva2008´s avatar

Thanks for the link Guy, so many things on that letter are also on that link.

What I dont get is, they are not asking for amy money upfront, but they are asking for my bank details. How can they take money out of an account by just having the account numbers and DOB or am I being naive?

Like 0      
06 Feb 2012 2:50 PM by gcarton Star rating. 144 posts Send private message

They get you a number of ways.

1) The fax number they give you could be a premium rate charging number

2) They go to/call your bank and pretend to be you

3) They will try and build a relationship with you and get you to "pay the taxes" upfront. It happened to somebody we know and she lost £3000. A sorry lesson.

Guy

Like 0      
06 Feb 2012 2:52 PM by Eva2008 Star rating in Reading. 152 posts Send private message

Eva2008´s avatar

ahhh well, was nice dreaming for a while!

I shall file it in the bin..

Better go and beg for my job back...

Like 0      
06 Feb 2012 3:50 PM by rockinrodders Star rating. 81 posts Send private message

Think ID Theft.

With just your name, date of birth and account details they are pretty much able to get loans or credit cards in your name.

Like 0      
06 Feb 2012 5:01 PM by VickyWincham Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

A lottery win wouldn't contact you - you would contact them and they wouldn't need bank details.

Nothing legit should ever ask for bank details.

Vicky

Like 0      
06 Feb 2012 5:44 PM by wizzard2 Star rating in Costa Blanca. 32 posts Send private message

You have done the right thing filing the letter in the B1N file.

This is a classic way to get your details and you would of ended up with an empty account.

Almost all e-mails etc. offering you money for nothing,is too good to be true and that is what this is.I would suggest to anyone who receives a notification of money for you for something you know anything about is to check web sites like   Hoax Slayer who check dodgy e-mails etc. and let you know why they are hoax,their are several sights that do this and you dont have to pay a penny.

Consider yourself lucky you thought to check this out first,you were a lot wiser and a lot richer than many people who have always dreamt of getting a windfall and now regret it

Like 0      
06 Feb 2012 5:54 PM by Eva2008 Star rating in Reading. 152 posts Send private message

Eva2008´s avatar

Hi Wizard2, yep I've always been a bit suspicious when someone offers you something for nothing. These people really know how to catch their victims, they use peoples dreams of a debt free lifestyle against them, even savvy people can sometimes get the pound signs in their eyes and throw caution to the wind with the "maybe its real..." type thoughts.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Like 0      
06 Feb 2012 7:45 PM by ojosazul88 Star rating. 171 posts Send private message

Its incredible with all the press about these types of lottery scams that people still even believe it!!, Its a classic 419 Nigerian scam

so NO, You have not one. Why dont you check the lottery ticket numbers that you have bought on the official spanish lottery website?

I mean you did actually buy some lottery tickets?

Like 0      
06 Feb 2012 7:51 PM by ojosazul88 Star rating. 171 posts Send private message

Now that i have read one of your prevous posts Eva, you mention you do not remember buying a lottery ticket, well i think everyone would remember, YOU CANNOT WIN IF YOU DIDNT PURCHASE!!!,,  The spanish lotteries do not send out letters!

Look, they send send out millions of these letters knowing a small minority will bite, call it greed, call it gullible, call it naive, they hook their victims in with these tactics, dont be their next victim.

Like 0      
06 Feb 2012 9:34 PM by rod Star rating in Uk and Spain. 469 posts Send private message

I wake up most MORNINGS with a suspicious e mail some of them are hilarious

Sgt pepper of the US national guard has left you 10 trillion dollars in GOLD BULLION in his secret bunker in IRAQ please forward 50 US dollars to release your asset from IRAQI quarantine

THIS is a MATTER of URGENCY

BLAH BLAH BLAH

They must think we are AS STUPID as them

Rod

This message was last edited by rod on 06/02/2012.

Like 0      
11 Feb 2012 4:25 PM by manxmonkey Star rating in Channel Islands. 81 posts Send private message

manxmonkey´s avatar

Hi Eva, When I lived in Spain I had a win through a friend who I was glad talked me into it, I think we had a 100th of a ticket or something silly but it was still a goodly amount, not enough to buy a villa but more than enough to buy a car.  However I am positive I was sent a cheque. I sort of remember receiving it in a nice official envelope and it being a very official cheque / draft.  it was maybe 20 years ago so I'm sure things are different but Premium Bond wins still come in cheque form (hmm reminds me they don't come as often as they did) so I'm pretty sure this is a scam.  I'm amazed no-one has replied who has won more recently as there are lots of prizes each year. One thing though, I am positive they would write to you and not email you.

Like 0      
11 Feb 2012 7:41 PM by Belgravia Star rating in Valencia. 7 posts Send private message

Hello

If you Google part of the message, you may find that other people have said it's a scam.

Les

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Tax on Rental-Deductions - 8 posts
PROPERTY ADMINISTRATOR - 2 posts
Crisis?? - 0 posts
Earthquake - 3 posts
Mazarron apartment - 2 bed and 1 bath. - 1 posts
Working in the UK and having shares' dividends in Spain - 1 posts
Working in the UK, with share dividends in Spain - 0 posts
Recommendations for child friendly restaurants - 2 posts
EXPATS WALK FOR THEIR VILLAGE - 0 posts
surina - 4 posts
cats - 0 posts
FREEZING YUK - 6 posts
Riding a motorcycle in spain on a full uk bike licence - 6 posts
MR WIPPY - 3 posts
ITV test - 4 posts
Barclays Bank Espana accounts - 0 posts
Medievil Market in Orihuela - 5 posts
How Spain has changed in 10 years....??!!!! - 73 posts
GC Resorts / Silverpoint / Las Canarias. Advise please - 8 posts
Wanted koi carp - 1 posts
De-registering a Spanish Mortgage - 0 posts
Spanish gas boiler legislation in a rental property. - 3 posts
Non resident tax form certificate charges at Sol Bank - 3 posts
Water usage - 6 posts
cam mortgage - 8 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 23

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x