Working in Gib, living in Spain - who do we pay tax to?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
14 Feb 2012 7:44 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar

Rayann, Why would you not have to pay tax in any country when all the three countries you mention are EU?  We lived in the middle east for many, many years and didn't pay tax at all, but upon arriving here in late August 2009, my husband had to pay tax to the Spanish authorities, as his emloyer (he worked for a US based company and was paid out of the US!) used a payroll agent here to ensure everything was legal.

So, even though he worked for a US based company and was paid out of the US, as we became resident here we fitted the 'criteria' for tax liability - even though we hadn't spent 183 days here!  The 183 day rule in Spain is only one of the criteria applied for tax purposes (as Roberto has mentioned earlier in this thread).

This message was last edited by Pitby on 14/02/2012.

Like 0      
14 Feb 2012 7:59 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

I am not a tax expert, but I'm pretty sure Ray one of those countries will want to claim you as a fiscal resident! The 183 day rule is just one criteria. But if you can get away with it and stay out of jail, good luck to you.

I believe there is such a thing as a fiscal nomad, but it must be pretty rare, and hard to get away with. I have a Canadian friend who lives and works aboard a US registered vessel based in Thailand. He genuinely has no land address (unless you can count a week or two a year in my spare room!) so he possibly qualifies. I know he doesn't pay any taxes, anyway!

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
14 Feb 2012 10:43 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

rayann, in your situation you are expected to designate which country to pay tax in, I can assure you you are not exempt from paying any tax anywhere in the EU. I am sure you already know this, or you should! It could be a while before they catch up with you, if they ever do but it certainly isn't legal and could cost you dear in the end.

Poppyseed

Like 0      
15 Feb 2012 5:50 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Rayann

You say you are resident in UK. May I ask how that was decided?

In Spain even if you don’t spend any time here, you are still resident if your main home is in Spain, your family live here, or your centre of activities is here.

I cannot imagine that if you really do qualify as being resident in UK that HMRC understood your question if they said you don’t need to pay there.

Like 0      
15 Feb 2012 3:48 PM by rayann Star rating in Terreros & South Shi.... 79 posts Send private message

Thanks for all the replies. My residential country (domicile) is uk, I will not have more than 91 days this tax year in uk. I work in holland on a 2 weeks on 3 weeks off rota I am in either UK or ES when i am off, mostly ES. In NL or ES I will not have more than 180 days to qualify for tax reasons and I am not resident in either. My accountant says why should I pay uk tax, as I am under the qualifying days to pay tax. Hard to believe no tax anywhere I know,but we will see.

Like 0      
15 Feb 2012 6:12 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

. "Hard to believe no tax anywhere I know,but we will see. " It's hard to believe because it's not true! You may get away with it but it's not legal and your accountant should be advising you of that. To be honest I also think you'd be advised to keep this sort of information to yourself.

Poppyseed

Like 0      
15 Feb 2012 6:19 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar

Ray, I think you'll find that, just like any country, there are more than one or two criteria that qualify you as tax resident - not just how many days you reside in a country or earn money in a country.  If you are "officially resident" in the UK and are domiciled there - even if you are paid in the UK by a UK company and taxed at source, albeit posted to work overseas - then you may, as Poppyseed says, want to keep this information to yourself if you are planning to claim the tax back!!!

It's easy to google for yourself to see if you are liable for UK tax - and I would definitely question the person/entity who "reliably" advises you to claim your tax back!! 

And just to add to my previous post, my husband, during the end of 2009 when we first arrived here, was spending most of his time working in two other EU countries - he wasn't working in Spain for most of that time to the end of 2009 (the Spanish tax year).  But he, with his family, was resident here as his prime residence, making him liable to Spanish income tax.

This message was last edited by Pitby on 15/02/2012.

This message was last edited by Pitby on 15/02/2012.

Like 0      
16 Feb 2012 2:22 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Rayann

Where is your main home?  If you have a spouse and/or children where do they live ?

Sorry ask personal questions but you seem to just a ‘little evasive’ on some points.  Myself and others here are doing our best to answer your post.

Like 0      
17 Feb 2012 10:09 AM by rayann Star rating in Terreros & South Shi.... 79 posts Send private message

Johnzx, I have said twice I live in UK, Prime residence. so I am not being "evasive"  No family in Spain. Family UK.

Thanks again for all the constructive replies. I agree, too much information given out. So me signing out.

Adios amigos,

A tax exile.....

Like 0      
17 Feb 2012 10:59 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Rayann

Apologises for upsetting you but we were all trying to help answer the question you posed.

It would seem that none of us can believe that you can legally be a tax nomad, and that somewhere along the road you have been given incorrect advice, That may have been the fault of the person you asked or they may have also misunderstood your position.

A friend of mine, a Brit living in Spain,  a few years also said he was a tax nomad and that HMRC had assured him that he was not tax liable. That was until he got another letter from them a couple of years later. It cost him a lot of money and time to resolve the error which, HMRC said, was because he had not explained the facts correctly.

Good luck

Like 0      
17 Feb 2012 12:32 PM by rayann Star rating in Terreros & South Shi.... 79 posts Send private message

Hi John, no problem, not upset. I know it's a strange one, and hard to believe. So IF I can actually claim it back it will be invested for 7 yrs so if they ask for it back in that time I can give it back.

Cheers.

Like 0      
17 Feb 2012 12:58 PM by gcarton Star rating. 144 posts Send private message

I was actually in a similar situation a few years ago and in fact have often lived or worked outside the UK. The last time I used to commute to Italy during the week. The test for Italy and most tax jurisdictions in 183 days. The other test is "center of economic interest". HMRC will always presume you to be resident unless you can prove otherwise. They will also want to look at foreign sourced income and assess whether it has been taxed at source or not. The usual test for them is whether ones family is still ordinarily resident in the UK. They also expect one to sell ones house and chattels, unless you can prove residency has been attained elsewhere. For the first year one needs to be in UK less than 90 days.

I did retain UK tax status.

One has also to be very careful keeping records. Days of arrival and departure also account.

This message was last edited by gcarton on 17/02/2012.

This message was last edited by gcarton on 17/02/2012.

Like 0      
26 Feb 2012 7:00 PM by gizmopussycat Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Do not worry "Tax Nomad"......There is such a situation. Both my husband and I were in the Merchant Navy....employed by a UK shipping company but always abroad. Our home was in th UK, which we owned.

We would have to spend X amount of days outside the UK (which we did, due to the nature of the employment) to be able to claim ALL OUR TAX BACK!!!!

Our residency was UK and we did pay tax there but the whole lot was refunded (via Seatax Accountants) in Doncaster. I believe a similar rule applies to oil rig workers.

I think you need to be resident for tax purposes in UK but you should be able to reclaim the entire amount.

Like 0      
26 Feb 2012 7:19 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

There are quite specific rules that apply to seafarers which certainly do not apply to rayann or anyone else living and working within the EU.

Forgot to inlude the link

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/Taxes/BeginnersGuideToTax/IncomeTax/Taxallowancesandreliefs/DG_078394

This message was last edited by Poppyseed on 26/02/2012.

Poppyseed

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Dentist (Filling Needed!) - 4 posts
help needed to trace my friend - 0 posts
Squatters - 22 posts
NIE Expiry date? (Non and Resident type) - 3 posts
mijas golf estate - 1 posts
Car hire at Faro. - 0 posts
Please contact - 1 posts
Urgent Appeal - 2 missing dogs - Rio Grande (Coin) - 2 posts
Lomas del Golf - 2 posts
La Portaria, El Mudamiento - 0 posts
Cutbacks by UK Town Halls & Councils - 1 posts
flights from alicante - 3 posts
Exporting a Spanish car. - 3 posts
Any information on Tormos and area ? - 0 posts
LHD Merceded 500 Sl sports in Marbella - 0 posts
Schooling in CBS - 2 posts
Bargain car for sale 695 euros, - 0 posts
Seeking long term rustic rental, AKA, 'the impossible' - 0 posts
Looking for English natives to spend some time together on holidays. Exchange English/Spanish/Basque - 2 posts
WANTED: Set of Golf Clubs - 1 posts
WANTED: Set of golf clubs - 0 posts
Fly BA from London to Malaga. Cheaper or what? - 2 posts
Abandoned Cars in Estepona - 2 posts
Car for sale - 2 posts
Journalist seeks information endesa etc. - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 34

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x