The name 'Omeia'

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
28 Nov 2011 12:00 AM by DelToro Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Hello, my first post here.

I've been trying to find some information on the name 'Omeia'.   This is a name which has been used in our family for generations.  Is this a common first name in Spain?  What is the meaning and origin of this name?  

I've recently discovered Omeia was the first arabic family to enter Spain to conquer the lands during the conquest of the iberian coast.

I do have Spanish ancestry, but am now wondering why an Arabic name has been used, unless there could be some arabic ancestry via Spain?  Is it common for a Spanish family to use a name which is Arabic?  

This could be a long shot, but any information, links etc.. would be great.

Thanks for reading.

Like 0      
28 Nov 2011 4:57 PM by lobin Star rating. 256 posts Send private message

The name Omeia is not a common first name in Spain.

If you look up OMEYA (with a Y instead of a i as this is probably the way the name evolved in Spain) in the Spanish version of Wikipedia you find a very detailed description on how the Arabic Omeia family came to conquer the Iberian peninsula and became the rulers (Califas) settling in Cordoba.

According to the article it appears that the members of this family unltimately disappeared although there might be some descendents from this family in Spain under the last name of Omeya or Benjumea (I can't see the relationship with Benjumea but this is what the article says).  In any event, neither Omeya or Omeia are common first or family names in Spain.

Other first and family names of Arabic origin are still used in Spain.  After all, the Arabs ruled the country until they were expelled by the Christians at the end of the XV century, but Omeya is not among the more frequently used ones.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

COSTALUZ LAWYERS TRIUMPH AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!!! - 6 posts
iBI - 4 posts
Problems connecting freesat - 1 posts
Unpaid car tax - 3 posts
form 210 ------ No Stickers - 0 posts
SCAM! BUT BY WHO? - 0 posts
Sweet Trees for Everyone - 0 posts
Kindle in Spain - 51 posts
import your own climate... - 1 posts
The Rental Scammers are Back Beware - 2 posts
Travel agent's licence IC - 0 posts
Using ducted aircon to heat the house - 16 posts
MARIANO RAJOY - PROPOSALS FOR CHANGE - 7 posts
TARIFA - 0 posts
GRAZALEMA - 0 posts
Who wants to come here? - 4 posts
Electric and Water contacts in old name - 13 posts
Handsome Bailey - 1 posts
Plant a tree this Saturday at The People’s Forest in Marbella - 0 posts
portillo kiosk in san pedro - 0 posts
advice needed - 5 posts
Late payment of IBI - 9 posts
Looking for work - 3 posts
Help with Tax/Vat - 2 posts
Van going to England - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 2

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x