Unpaid car tax

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
27 Nov 2011 12:00 AM by jacko6251 Star rating. 23 posts Send private message

I am returning back to the UK in early January and am transfering ownership of my Spainsh plated car to a close friend..

I have had the car for two years and was under the impression that there is no requirement to pay road tax in Spain and that

it was funded by petrol prices instead !  I have since been told that there is a road tax system in place that should be paid yearly.

I regisstered my car at the local trafico office and have never received any payment request during the ownership.

I f I transfer qwnership to my friend, Is he responsible for any unpaid road tax on the vehicle and are the trafic office

likely to pursue payment ? 

Like 0      
27 Nov 2011 12:10 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5240 posts Send private message

The ‘road tax’  circulation tax is imposed by the town hall in the municipality in which the owner is resident.


It is normal that one must know that they must pay the tax, same as IBI, rubbish collected, garage entrance tax etc.


You will not be able to transfer the ownership until the tax has been paid (I believe that includes the year in which the sale takes place, e.g..1st Jan 2012,  the tax for 2012)


 On an occasion when I sold a motorcycle in around March, we had a problem as the tax due for that year was not known by the town hall.


ALSO Do not fail to ensure that the ownership has been transferred to your friend, otherwise you will be legally responsible for the vehicle,  road tax, fines etc  ’for ever.’

Like 0      
27 Nov 2011 12:34 PM by jacko6251 Star rating. 23 posts Send private message

 Thanks John,

I bought the car from a registered garage and would have ( wrongly ! ) assumed that I would be contacted if there were any outstanding funds to be paid ! 

Does anyone also happen to know the cost involved ( apart from any unpaid taxes ) in transfering ownership of a vehicle ?

Like 0      
27 Nov 2011 12:52 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5240 posts Send private message

By far the easiest way to make the transfer is by using a GESTOR. 

They are in effect ' people who fill in official  forms'. 

If you ask, preferably one that does not specialise in dealing with non Spaniards, they will give you a price, over the counter.'

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

form 210 ------ No Stickers - 0 posts
SCAM! BUT BY WHO? - 0 posts
Sweet Trees for Everyone - 0 posts
Kindle in Spain - 51 posts
import your own climate... - 1 posts
The Rental Scammers are Back Beware - 2 posts
Travel agent's licence IC - 0 posts
Using ducted aircon to heat the house - 16 posts
TARIFA - 0 posts
GRAZALEMA - 0 posts
Who wants to come here? - 4 posts
Electric and Water contacts in old name - 13 posts
Handsome Bailey - 1 posts
Plant a tree this Saturday at The People’s Forest in Marbella - 0 posts
portillo kiosk in san pedro - 0 posts
advice needed - 5 posts
Late payment of IBI - 9 posts
Looking for work - 3 posts
Help with Tax/Vat - 2 posts
Van going to England - 0 posts
Curry night with accommodation. - 1 posts
What is legal regarding UK cars and businesses - 2 posts
What is legal regarding UK cars - 2 posts
Hours Per Day?? - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x