Car Hire again folks

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
31 Oct 2011 12:00 AM by JHW Star rating. 0 posts

Hi just to share an experience----just got clobbered for being too trusting.

An e mail appeared in my in box to purchase insurance for tyres windscreen ect at 10:50e from Economy car hire.com--good idea takes away some of the bill when collecting the car-----oh how wrong can one be---

Collecting the car from Centauro in Murcia -------they will not recognise this---so exact a futher 28e for exactly the same reason ---if you do not take this insurance from them  then 300e deposit  will do nicely!!!!

So why did I spend the 10.50e???--the answer from Economy car hire is that ----it was OPTIONAL--another prifit making gimmick , but not obvious until caught out.

Perhaps that is why Goldcar's queue had about 200 people in it and Centauro had 4!!

Hope this helps others in this day and age where pennies need to be looked after.

Like 0      
17 Feb 2012 8:25 PM by petermadd1 Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

The 300 euros is not taken as a deposit, that amount is just reserved against your credit. The reserve is removed within a few days of returning the car undamaged. Any damage to tyres and windows is paid by you and reclaimed from Economy. Goldcar are often marginally cheaper but usually apply considerable pressure to buy their add on insurance. I and many I know will not use them. Trouble with car hire is we all have different experiences often depending on the staff on duty. Touch wood as I'm picking up a car from Centauro tomorrow!

Like 0      
17 Feb 2012 11:22 PM by MikeandHelen Star rating. 193 posts Send private message

The problem here is that if you take an insurance policy to cover tyres, glass etc which is not covered by the fully inclusive insurance that the hire company advertises, you actually need to buy the additional insurance from the hire company itself. Fully inclusive does not mean fully inclusive in Spain.

If you buy additional cover from a broker then you may have to make the security transaction as required by the hire company, AND if you do have a situation that involves such damage you have to pay the hire for it THEN make a seperate insurancce claim.

Buy additional cover from a hire company and they will process the claim on yur behalf. Hopefully, this is what a rep from Goldcar told me.  

So my recommendation is to take the fullest insurances cover available from the hire company, not additional cover from a third party broker.  Beware, you may find that you thinking you are dealing with a hire company but it is actually a broker. There are misleading web sites out there! See my other posts! 

Mike. 

Like 0      
18 Feb 2012 2:19 PM by JHW Star rating. 0 posts

Thank you for this --I hope your trip went ok today.It is always good to share experiences J

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Extra Buzon for the Correos? - 1 posts
it is not just Spain - 9 posts
Spanish Reg car for sale on Costa del Sol - 0 posts
Please help explain my Iberdrola bill to me - 1 posts
Beat this for a bank robbery - 1 posts
Renting a parcela for commercial use in the summer - what rent? - 0 posts
How long does a bond apply - 1 posts
excuse me this is test of editing - 0 posts
Thule Rapid System Car Roof Bars with Locks - 2 posts
Pace DS445NB SKY box - 0 posts
Micra Photos (see ad below) - 0 posts
Nissan Micra 2006 LHD Spanish plates - 3 posts
Editing a post - 8 posts
Seal for oven - 6 posts
Transport of goods from UK to Spain - 7 posts
WATERPROOFING TERRACE WITH CAUCHO - 8 posts
no paper work ??? - 4 posts
The Royal British Legion Poppy Appeal 2011 - 1 posts
iPhone 3GS, 32GB for sale - 0 posts
End of the road - 5 posts
Mediterranean Roast Chicken - Yum! - 7 posts
Long term rental required in Manilva, La Duquesa, Sabinillas area - 0 posts
Unidentified caterpillar/larvae found in garden - 2 posts
Airport road closed - 4 posts
Increased property sales ? - 5 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x