help with deferred UK pension

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
18 Sep 2011 12:00 AM by D_B_S Star rating. 178 posts Send private message

For several years my wife and I have been spending our year split between the UK (4-months), Spain(4-months) and Dubai (4-months). We have recently sold our property in Spain (Mallorca) and intend to spend most of the year(9-months) based in Dubai.

In 2008 my wife deferred her UK pension and it's my intention to do the same when mine becomes due since the deal from the UK government seems to good to miss.

My question is -- since we will not be residents of the UK or EU (including the countries that have special arrangements for pensions), will the basic pension we receive be based on that at our pension age or is it based upon the increases that are being applied each year.

I tried reading info from the various UK sites providing info on pensions but can't find an answer to my question. Hence I'm seeking an answer from the members of EoS.

Regards,

David

Like 0      
18 Sep 2011 7:39 PM by Irene&Alan Star rating in Formentera del Segur.... 701 posts Send private message

Irene&Alan´s avatar

Ring this number +44 191 218 3600

This is a forecasting service for Brits living abroad and although it might not be the EXACT place to tell you what you want to know, we´ve found them very helpful and will tell you who to contact.

Irene

Like 0      
18 Sep 2011 7:54 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

This info is from the Pensions Service website

Does living outside the UK affect State Pension deferral?

If you normally live outside the UK and you have not already claimed your State Pension, you can put off claiming when you reach State Pension age.

When you finally do claim, we will work out your pension entitlement based on the amount you would have got if you had been claiming it at the time. This will include any yearly increases to the State Pension, even if you are living in a country where these increases don’t normally apply.

Once you have started to get your State Pension, you will only get yearly increases to your State Pension and your extra State Pension if you are living in certain countries. These are:

• countries with which the UK has an agreement on social security that allow yearly increases to be paid (the UK means England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland), or
  • countries in the European Economic Area (EEA) listed

below. Countries with which the UK has an agreement on social security that allow yearly increases to be paid:

Barbados Bermuda BosniaHerzegovina The Channel Islands Croatia The Isle of Man Israel (see page 42) Jamaica Kosovo The Republic of Macedonia

Mauritius Montenegro The Philippines Serbia Turkey The USA. The agreement with Israel applies to the territory

administered (run) by the Government of Israel on

19 July 1956. Any territory that is outside Israel, as defined

here, is not covered by the agreement. For more advice,

you should contact the International Pension Centre. See

page 61 for contact details.

Countries in the European Economic Area (EEA): Austria Belgium Bulgaria Cyprus Czech Republic Denmark Estonia Finland France Germany Greece Hungary Iceland Ireland Italy

Latvia Liechtenstein Lithuania Luxembourg Malta The Netherlands Norway Poland Portugal Romania Slovakia Slovenia Spain Sweden Switzerland is not a member of the EEA, but as a result of

an agreement with the EU, the EU rules on social security

will also largely cover Switzerland. Gibraltar is not a member of the EEA, but the UK applies the EU Regulations to Gibraltar as though it is an EEA country. Other EEA countries treat Gibraltar as though it is part of the UK.

If you live outside the UK and have claimed your State Pension, you will not normally be able to choose to put off claiming it to earn extra State Pension or a lump sum. However, you may have this option if you live in one of the EEA countries listed above and you are a UK national, a national of one of the EEA countries or you are entitled to live there for other reasons.

For more information on this, contact the International Pension Centre. See page 61 for contact details.

Poppyseed

Like 0      
18 Sep 2011 7:54 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

This info is from the Pensions Service website

Does living outside the UK affect State Pension deferral?

If you normally live outside the UK and you have not already claimed your State Pension, you can put off claiming when you reach State Pension age.

When you finally do claim, we will work out your pension entitlement based on the amount you would have got if you had been claiming it at the time. This will include any yearly increases to the State Pension, even if you are living in a country where these increases don’t normally apply.

Once you have started to get your State Pension, you will only get yearly increases to your State Pension and your extra State Pension if you are living in certain countries. These are:

• countries with which the UK has an agreement on social security that allow yearly increases to be paid (the UK means England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland), or
  • countries in the European Economic Area (EEA) listed

below. Countries with which the UK has an agreement on social security that allow yearly increases to be paid:

Barbados Bermuda BosniaHerzegovina The Channel Islands Croatia The Isle of Man Israel (see page 42) Jamaica Kosovo The Republic of Macedonia

Mauritius Montenegro The Philippines Serbia Turkey The USA. The agreement with Israel applies to the territory

administered (run) by the Government of Israel on

19 July 1956. Any territory that is outside Israel, as defined

here, is not covered by the agreement. For more advice,

you should contact the International Pension Centre. See

page 61 for contact details.

Countries in the European Economic Area (EEA): Austria Belgium Bulgaria Cyprus Czech Republic Denmark Estonia Finland France Germany Greece Hungary Iceland Ireland Italy

Latvia Liechtenstein Lithuania Luxembourg Malta The Netherlands Norway Poland Portugal Romania Slovakia Slovenia Spain Sweden Switzerland is not a member of the EEA, but as a result of

an agreement with the EU, the EU rules on social security

will also largely cover Switzerland. Gibraltar is not a member of the EEA, but the UK applies the EU Regulations to Gibraltar as though it is an EEA country. Other EEA countries treat Gibraltar as though it is part of the UK.

If you live outside the UK and have claimed your State Pension, you will not normally be able to choose to put off claiming it to earn extra State Pension or a lump sum. However, you may have this option if you live in one of the EEA countries listed above and you are a UK national, a national of one of the EEA countries or you are entitled to live there for other reasons.

For more information on this, contact the International Pension Centre. See page 61 for contact details.

Poppyseed

Like 0      
18 Sep 2011 8:02 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Pensionsandretirementplanning/StatePension/DG_10027570

See 'Useful Links' then download PDF Deferring Your Pension from above website. (Deferring your pension if abroad is page 41.)

Sorry previous post duplicated and I couldn't delete it

Poppyseed

Like 0      
19 Sep 2011 8:38 AM by D_B_S Star rating. 178 posts Send private message

Thanks very much for the information it is most helpful.

We will continue to defer my wife's pension and I will defer mine for a few years as the 10%+ per year is better than we can achieve with cash deposits.

It's rare the government give you a good deal but this is too good to pass on.

Enjoy your day - As it's a bit warm today 34C now rising to 36CD I'm off to the Ski dome this AM and water skiing after lunch.

Regards,

David

Like 0      
19 Sep 2011 4:20 PM by D_B_S Star rating. 178 posts Send private message

Poppyseed

thanks for the link have just downloaded and found all the info required. Would recommend it as required reading to anyone reaching retirement age.

Thanks again.

David

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Goodstitch - 0 posts
Restaurant Recommendation Wanted: El Ejido/Adra area - 0 posts
Rant about grants...... - 1 posts
Registering properties with Valencian tourist board - 2 posts
Halal or Vegetarian Restuarants Costa Blanca South - 5 posts
Rural Rentals illegal !! - 6 posts
Taxes as a freelancer - 5 posts
situations vacant. - 0 posts
situations vacant - 1 posts
URBANIZATION'S PRESIDENTS TERM OF OFFICE - 2 posts
Easyjet Summer Flights - 4 posts
Rental agreements - 0 posts
Transfer of car ownership - 13 posts
One way car rental con for less than 8 days hire?? - 1 posts
My bank is insisting we take life assurance with them for our mortgage - 6 posts
URBANIZATION'S PRESIDENTS TERM OF OFFICE - 4 posts
White land - 1 posts
ew payment method for Ryanair - 10 posts
YAMAHA CYGNUS X 125 FOR SALE - 2 posts
Pay as you go wifi? - 7 posts
Problems with tenants - what are the options for landlords - 3 posts
help needed - 1 posts
Dickmanns car hire - Disgusting - 17 posts
VALDEACEDERAS: ROOM IMMEDIATELY AVAILABLE - 0 posts
School places La Cala advice - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x