Petition To Stop Travel Insurance Companies Denying Immediate Care To Stoke And Heart Attack Patients

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
20 Jul 2011 12:00 AM by elviriadreamer Star rating. 99 posts Send private message

elviriadreamer´s avatar

If you have five minutes spare PLEASE could you sign this very important petition. I understand it is more important to me than others, BUT this is a situation that could happen to ANYONE who travels abroad after taking out travel insurance.

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/stop-travel-insurance-companies-denying-immediate-strok.html

As current policies stand, if you are taken ill on holiday and your GP back in your home country cannot be contacted YOU WILL be refused care. In the case of serious illness, particularly stroke and heart attacks this is NOT acceptable. Immediate care is required and should be given. Heart attacks kill. Stroke kills...Time is brain!

Thank you in advance to anyone who does take the time to contribute, sign or sharing this petition.

This message was last edited by elviriadreamer on 20/07/2011.

Like 0      
20 Jul 2011 11:59 AM by elviriadreamer Star rating. 99 posts Send private message

elviriadreamer´s avatar

Oooops please forgive the typo in title...should read STROKE. But cannot edit it  :)

Like 0      
26 Jul 2011 8:22 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1114 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

If in Europe, surely this is where the EHIC card (formerly the E111) comes into its own? Don't leave home witout it...

Just a point but if you have an existing EHIC card you might want to check that it is still valid... with a validity of five years its easy to forget to renew it...

fb

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      
26 Jul 2011 11:31 PM by elviriadreamer Star rating. 99 posts Send private message

elviriadreamer´s avatar

Hi Foxbat

Unfortunately it was in Turkey (non EEA/EU), so my EHIC card/E111 was not useable. No matter where I travel, even if in Europe I take extra fully comprehensive cover no matter what.

This was purely denial of care and repatriation despite having medical cover and repatriation as standard. Sadly, this was a case of being cheaper for me to die and be buried in Turkey at a cost of 400 lira (approx £160 then) than thousands for brain surgery, care teams, hotels for lengthy recuperation, special aircraft home etc.

Luckily, I survived two strokes(a third of people who suffer my kind of stroke die on the spot) and still cost them a fortune for the special aircraft and intensive care team...sadly with disabilities and a death sentence I wouldn't have, had they fullfilled their obligations immediately.

This is not an isolated case either (one guy was in Spain with a heart attack but he did not mention his EHIC card, his was again private insurance)...and it must not happen to others.

Thank you for taking time to read it Foxbat  :)

Like 0      
27 Jul 2011 12:11 AM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

elviriadreamer

On the basis of what you have told us, I'm pleased to have signed your petition.

More than happy to sign this petition, it's a disgrace that this non treatment could happen anywhere in the modern world regardless of where, This insurance company is not fit to sell it's products and should be exposed as not worth the paper it's written on

Steve Varney

Like 0      
27 Jul 2011 3:12 AM by kev2006n Star rating in Sussex and Playa Fla.... 344 posts Send private message

I am so sorry to hear about your stroke. However, you may find it difficult to get insured in the future as you have a pre existing condition. I had a major heart attack and find it impossible to get cover when I declare my condition. So just take out basic cover, in case something else happens, and hope E111 will help if I have a further problem. Kevin

Like 0      
27 Jul 2011 1:51 PM by elviriadreamer Star rating. 99 posts Send private message

elviriadreamer´s avatar

Hi Steve...Thank you so much for signing the petition. Every signature really does count. It will run until 31 Dec 2011 when I will then present it to our government. Your comment also was appreciated. These people don't mind taking premiums but when faced with a life or death patient denial of care to anyone (not just me) is not acceptable. Many thanks :)

Hi Kevin...Try AXIA, they are for people with pre existing conditions and are very good (last year in Turkey I was taken ill and had no probs receiving immediate care/scans etc in fact they even waived my £150 excess). Yes I do struggle as costs for me are now through the roof as I have only had a curative procedure on one rupture so will continue to have leaks/bleeds. The other artery was beyond repair and couldn't be coiled or stented. As you will know having a heart condition (sorry for you too) we are not favoured by insurers. Thank you so much for taking the time to sign and wish you a healthy future  :)

THANK YOU to others, I think may be from here who have also signed...your support and comments are appreciated. Kindness from strangers is unmeasurable. Many thanks  :) 

Like 0      
28 Jul 2011 8:35 PM by normansands Star rating in Kent. 1281 posts Send private message

Sorry to hear of your problem but thank you for bringing it out

Regards

Norman

Like 0      
29 Jul 2011 2:57 PM by elviriadreamer Star rating. 99 posts Send private message

elviriadreamer´s avatar

Hi Norman

Thank you for signing!  I am glad I have brought it out too (but no thanks needed) as we now have 4 cases of denial of immediate care for stroke or heart attack.

Luckily we are all alive, but it is not acceptable. I wonder just how many more will come forward and state their case before the petition ends.

Anyone who wants their specific case highlighted is welcome to to contact me to arrange doing so.

Thanks again your support is appreciated  :)

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

State secondarary school - 4 posts
Bureau de change Torrevieja, at last - 3 posts
Should we have the original Escritura de Compraventa (title deed) if we have completed with no mortgage - 10 posts
Sun beds - 2 posts
CPS check Spain - 5 posts
Tax advice on moving to Spain - 2 posts
sewage! - 6 posts
Moving To Estepona - 1 posts
Currency Exchange - 1 posts
disco equipment - 0 posts
walkie talkies adult - 0 posts
A.D CLAIMS & LITIGATION MANAGEMENT - 2 posts
Big Mat - 6 posts
For Justin - 5 posts
Beaches on Costa - 11 posts
Grant Application in Asturias - 0 posts
Certificate of conformity for Spanish registered car - 8 posts
Fortecstar 1.8m Sat Dish in Northern Spain - 2 posts
Newbie - 0 posts
For sale - 0 posts
info for the legal system in Spain - 3 posts
Hello everyone - 0 posts
Dog hotel: Santander - 0 posts
Is it a good idea holding large amounts of cash in Spanish banks? - 4 posts
Student VISA trouble - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x