Is it a good idea holding large amounts of cash in Spanish banks?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
18 Jul 2011 12:00 AM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

I don't think so personally, especially after seeing this chart.  I've moved almost all of my euros into Sterling over the last year or so. 

I know there are state guarantees that cover you for up to 100,000 euros per account, but would the Spanish state be able to afford to pay out in the worst case scenario?  I doubt it somehow...

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
18 Jul 2011 2:47 PM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

Might be worth asking TJ222?

Like 0      
18 Jul 2011 5:42 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

18 Jul 2011 5:51 PM by Kenny Ackers Star rating. 42 posts Send private message

Kenny Ackers´s avatar

Of course - As long as it is Pesetas

( Think i will root through the drawers see if I can find any)

Hee Hee

Like 0      
18 Jul 2011 7:04 PM by Costachris Star rating in Yorkshire and Arroyo.... 38 posts Send private message

I wouldn't trust any state guarantees in Spain whatsoever and I base this on the collapse of the Icelandic banks. I opened accounts with Kaupthing Edge and Icesave as they were recommended by Martin Lewis the guy that's often on TV and on http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/. I was re-assured by the fact that the banks were backed with a guarantee from the Icelandic Government so in the case of problems I had a cast iron guarantee to get my money back. Well, they did go bust and the Icelandic Government honoured their guarantee but only to Icelandic citizens - not a penny for foreign investors until Brown threatened and seized their assets and compensated British investors.

Lesson learned. I don't trust our own politicians let alone foreign ones. I don't need to re-iterate the way that people, who regularly contribute on here, have been treated so outrageously by the Spanish Government and the Spanish banks in relation to guarantees. I know Spain and Iceland are different in that Spain is fully in the EU but I don't play Russian Roulette with my hard earned cash.

I maintain only sufficient funds in my Spanish accounts to meet the bills I have to pay on our place. I know the banks are offering some good savings deals in Spain in order to recapitilise. TJ222's threads are a good read on this as are the articles online in the Telegraph and Guardian all of whom seem to be stating that things are far to volatile to take any risks at the moment, particularly this week following the bank stress tests and the crucial EU Leaders meetings later in the week.

This message was last edited by Costachris on 18/07/2011.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Student VISA trouble - 0 posts
Malaga Airport Cercanias Station - 6 posts
Who would buy a place in Spain now??? - 3 posts
The Euro Weekly News Online - 1 posts
Dacion en Pago - 37 posts
A debate on Capitalism - 60 posts
ELECTRICT SCRUBBER FOR USE OUTSIDE - 1 posts
Dation in payment with shortfall - 5 posts
Just finished RAce For Life :-) - 5 posts
Wanted bunk beds. - 0 posts
Is It Better To Buy or Rent Property in Spain ?? - 58 posts
Purchasing a property with a UK company - 31 posts
WANTED RIVIERA DEL SOL - 1 posts
Power limiter (ICP) endesa - 2 posts
Best UK post codes for Humax Foxsat HD 500GB - 2 posts
On the Rocks - 0 posts
Poetry.. This is my favorite English poem ...Please comment - 5 posts
Did Your Bank Fail the Stress Test? - 2 posts
Woman like this should not be allowed - 13 posts
ILLEGAL HOMES IN SPAIN 5 - 0 posts
CERTIFYING DOCUMENTS IN GIBRALTAR - 5 posts
schools in spain - 18 posts
Hoping to move but got a few barriers to cross first... - 13 posts
renting - 0 posts
Petrol & Diesel Prices in Gibraltar - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x