Musicians and live music in Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
26 May 2007 12:00 AM by howardandkay Star rating in Daya Nueva near Alm.... 76 posts Send private message

howardandkay´s avatar

OK, I'm starting a thread for musicians and everyone else who likes live music. We're moving to Spain in a couple of months or so, with the usual provisos - will it be ready when we expect.

I'm a musician and will be bringing all my instruments over and will be hoping to find some musicians to jam with. Anyone on EOS going to be around?

If this thread gets going I just know it's going to veer about, because it's a wide subject with lots of different tastes.

We're moving to Daya Nueva and I've noticed from another site that there is live music in the village.

I learnt to play the guitar about 44 years ago, phew... makes you feel old, Just about the time that the Beatles were coming into prominence. Since then I have had many influences on my playing and have learnt to play other instruments, mainly the mandolin and banjo. Other instuments are a melodeon and fiddle. I've flitted from pop to folk to Bluegrass and back again, but I have to say it has been mostly enjoyable and fulfilling.

Will be nice to hear from others of their experiences and likes.

Like 0      
27 May 2007 11:22 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
It doesn't seem that we have many musicians amongst us!

Where we are in Manilva there are many fiestas throughout the year and they always have live bands playing.  It's great....but probably not for the people who live in the main street putting up with the music until 5 in the morning. 

I'm sure in many towns and villages in Spain it's the same.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
28 May 2007 9:26 AM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

Hi

I am not a musician (I used to play the flute at school, and only the cows in the field next to our house seemed to appreciate my music!), however I know two very talented people who will be moving to Santa Ana del Monte, near Jumilla once it is completed - just don't ask us when!  

Bob plays the guitar very well and Jackie plays the keyboard, plus they both sing.  I think Jackie has a fantastic voice, but don't want to embarrass her by saying so! They enjoy Gilbert and Sullivan, but Bob is particularly known for his rendition of "I'm Cardiff born and Cardiff bred"!  Also, Bob once played in a group that did a cover version of "I'm leaving on a jet plane".

Jackie and Bob - hope that you don't mind me blowing your trumpet for you.  Those of us who have heard them are hoping they will be entertaining us once we are all living in SADM.

Sue

Sue Walker

Author of "Retiring the Ole Way", now available on Amazon

See my blog about our life in Spain: www.spainuncovered.com

Like 0      
28 May 2007 9:47 AM by howardandkay Star rating in Daya Nueva near Alm.... 76 posts Send private message

howardandkay´s avatar

Looking forward to the fiestas and live bands Justin, and I like the look of your new car.

Sue thanks for your reply, I like a mix of music, and some of it I try and play. Not a lover of mushy country and western, but I have enjoyed a bit of Gilbert & Sullivan.

I hope some others will post about any great live music they have seen in Spain.

Like 0      
28 May 2007 12:02 PM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

Hi

We aren't really jazz fans, however John and I were staying at the NH Hotel Rincon de Pepe in Murcia at the beginning of the month, and noticed that they have jazz in their bar on Thursday nights.  As it was a Thursday, it would  have been rude not to drop in for a look, wouldn't it?  The bar is very atmospheric, with a stretch of Arabic wall incorporated into its design, and I have to say the group were really good, so we ended up staying for several drinks!

Also, several years ago we were in Valencia for Las Fallas.  On our last night, wandering back to the hotel, we decided to pop into a bar for coffee and brandy.  We then saw that there was a bonfire outside, where they were burning the ninots, and also people were going into a huge marquee. Well somebody invited us in (it would have been rude not to!) and we found a bar in the corner and a group just starting to play.  The music was lively and we partied until 3 in the morning, when we decided that we should leave them to it as we had a plane to catch later on!

Sue

Sue Walker

Author of "Retiring the Ole Way", now available on Amazon

See my blog about our life in Spain: www.spainuncovered.com

Like 0      
28 May 2007 8:44 PM by howardandkay Star rating in Daya Nueva near Alm.... 76 posts Send private message

howardandkay´s avatar

Change of instrument, change of style, good fun these avatars!  Just an excuse to put this on really.

One of my favourite numbers I like to perform is 'Weather With You' by Crowded House, but I certainly don't want to bring the weather with me to Spain, especially after this washout of a Bank Holiday.

Like 0      
27 Jan 2008 10:39 PM by howardandkay Star rating in Daya Nueva near Alm.... 76 posts Send private message

howardandkay´s avatar
Just reviving this old thread in the hope that some more musicians have joined the site and would be interested in having a jam session.

Like 0      
28 Jan 2008 9:30 AM by Acapulco Star rating in Costa Blanca South.. 342 posts Send private message

Acapulco´s avatar
Sadly I have no musical talent,just love many kinds of music , especially Bluegrass.

If you're going through hell keep on going, you might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

college in murcia - 2 posts
Apartment for Rent in Almerimar (Alta Entinas) - 1 posts
MARBELLA HILL VIEW - UPDATE - 3 posts
Looking to Purchase in Costa Del Sol - 2 posts
Did you buy a discontinued Thader? - 12 posts
Hi All - 2 posts
hi - 4 posts
Disney World - 38 posts
Rental companies - 2 posts
Thanks To Georgia - 1 posts
Transferring money to Spain for completion - 6 posts
New EOS Team member - 3 posts
message board - 5 posts
MOT / NCT requirement - 7 posts
Associated Costs for bits needed in the house - 4 posts
Community fees at completion - 3 posts
Oldest rock band destined for chart stardom - 7 posts
Trevorcra - 3 posts
Long Term Lets/ Long Term Problems? - 0 posts
Short Term Rentals - 5 posts
Free Language Courses For Your MP3 - 1 posts
new to webb site - 4 posts
we sell ford focus trend wagon 1.8. We buy Family Car - 0 posts
Clare and Mike Aldridge - 0 posts
Is there anybody out there? - 12 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x