Tethering iphone 4 to ipad 2 on vodafone.es

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
22 Jun 2011 12:00 AM by Crispy Cod Star rating in Fuengirola. 28 posts Send private message

Crispy Cod´s avatar

Does anyone know if it is possible to connect to the internet on an ipad using an iphone 4 as the inetrnet connection. I think the term they use is "tethering" . Reading on the apple forum in the states you have to ask for this to be enabled and they charge you extra for it. In the UK from what i have read it is free. I cannot seem to find anything about this operation in Spain.

I was going to buy an Ipad 2 with 3g but the cheapest monthly plan i can get is 32 euros so am thinking of buying the wifi version from UK as i get a discount on it which makes it approx £150 cheaper than the 3g version. Then through vodafone.es you can get an I phone 4 for 129 euros and 40 euro a month contract so for an extra 8 euros amonth i will have 2 devices and a load of free minutes of phone calls.

Obviously this would only be of a benefit if i can use the i phone like a hotspot and connect the ipad using wifi. Anyone out there currently doing this, or even using there laptop on wifi with a connection through their i phone

Like 0      
22 Jun 2011 9:43 PM by lobin Star rating. 256 posts Send private message

I have an iPhone 4 that I use to share the internet connection with a Mac Laptop (tethering) very efficiently. My iPad is a 3G one and I have a duplicate microsim card as the one on my iPhone so I share the same 3G connection included in the price of the iPhone connection provided you have the iPhone Plus plan which costs 25 euros per month. However, all of this is with Movistar. I don't know whether Vodaphone offers the same although I would imagine their prices and packages will not differ too much from that of the competition.

If you live in Spain the price difference for a 3G iPad is definitely worth it as there are not many public WiFi services available specially in non-urban areas. If you can get a plan like the one I have with Movistar, your iPad 3G connection will not cost you anything except the initial one off 6 euros they charge for the duplicate microSim card for the iPad.

I don't think you can use the iPhone in tethering with the IPad as I don't see how you can connect these two devices. The iPad does not have a USB port. But like I said with the duplicate microSim card, you don't need to.

Like 0      
22 Jun 2011 10:01 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar

I use my iPhone to tether my iPad to use the connection - you do it via the bluetooth facility.  I also have the 3G iPad and find I never use the sim and always use the wifi - both at home and when I am out (as, if there isn't a wifi zone available I can tether it to my iPhone).

I have a Movistar contract and have never had to request this facility - you just use the "Personal Hotspot" facility on your phone and connect your iPad via the bluetooth.

Edited to say:  Not sure about Vodafone, but would think that it's the same unless Vodafone have somehow blocked the facility (which I don't see why they would, as they also issue copy microsims for the iPad if you have an iPhone contract with them).

This message was last edited by Pitby on 22/06/2011.

Like 0      
23 Jun 2011 9:22 AM by Crispy Cod Star rating in Fuengirola. 28 posts Send private message

Crispy Cod´s avatar

Thank you both for your replies.

So weighing up the cost difference my idea seems the way to go.I will end up with two devices,350 mins of calls,350 sms,2 x vip numbers and 500mb internet plus 150mb for use in europe.

This will only work out around 6 euros extra per month,but when you take into account i spend about 20 per month on my payg phone i will be in pocket around 14 euros.

You have got me thinking now though to still go for the ipad 2 64gb 3g and take this micro sims. I did not know about these as when i enquired the best plan for me with the ipad was 32 euros per month for a sim only.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

long term rental in Elviria - 0 posts
To the Airport - 13 posts
Noches San Juan - 10 posts
Boundaries - 14 posts
Military Jet Crashes at San Javier Airport - Thankfully nobody hurt - 0 posts
TIPOA CAR HIRE ALICANTE AIRPORT - 9 posts
need advice!!!! - 6 posts
Free Calls and cheaper packages better deals than BT in Spain offer - 0 posts
For Fans of Charlton Athletic, Bristol City & Cardiff City - 1 posts
OWNERS OF EDIFICIO CORAL, RIVIERA DEL SOL! URGENT PLEASE - 1 posts
YES! YES! YES! - 7 posts
Hola - 0 posts
TAG Purchase - 4 posts
What is perfect swing ? - 4 posts
La Manga Murcia to Marbella by Car - 2 posts
Palmera properties - 0 posts
There's an uncertainty about Spain's and Europe's future - 14 posts
Public liability insurance - 5 posts
How to overcome parking difficulties in Fuengirola - 0 posts
Help snake - 6 posts
CGT on bond - 2 posts
Wanted, pop up beach canopy - 3 posts
ELEC METER - 1 posts
seafood restaurant reccommendations - 0 posts
Trailer wanted just south of Alicante - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x