Days out from Los Acazares - suggestions please

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
15 Jun 2011 12:00 AM by KERRYB Star rating in Wales & Murcia. 113 posts Send private message

Can anyone suggest 'days out' from Los Alcazares'. We have a hire car booked and are staying for a week.

We have previously visited categena Murcia puerto mazarron all of which we have enjoyed.

Looking for something different perhaps a traditional mountain village with a nice restaurant and walks

Thanks for your help

Like 0      
15 Jun 2011 11:10 PM by hugh_man Star rating in Kent/Roda . 1593 posts Send private message

hugh_man´s avatar

There are very few, if any pretty mountain villages in the Murcia region but a trip to Alhama and the Sierra Espuna drive are worth researching, with a converted monastery near Aledo and Totana,  the Ricote valley North of Murcia has some attractive sights and the mountain coastal drive through Sierra de Mula south of Cartagena is worth a trip.

Closer to home is Cabo de Palos and Calblanque National Park as well as the mud baths at Lo Pagan 

Caravaca de la Cruz a very important relegious site and Calasparra are also worth some research.

Have a good trip

Like 0      
16 Jun 2011 12:37 PM by nigela Star rating. 415 posts Send private message

I would sugest a visit to the guns at Mazzaron - it is an old war time fort but the views are stunning.  If you do go take a torch for visiting the tunnels and some water if it is hot.

Like 0      
16 Jun 2011 7:51 PM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

Although Jumilla isn't exactly a mountain village, it is a lovely town with a recently restored Castle and plenty of good restaurants.  Nearby is the pretty village of Santa Ana del Monte, with its Monastery and great views over Jumilla, which is in the Sierra de Santa Ana as the name suggests.

If you like wine, there are also lots of bodegas to visit!  Here is a quick look at some of the local sights:

www.youtube.com/watch

John and I do free walks round Jumilla.  If you are interested in more information, PM me.  Also, if you say when you are going to be in Los Alcazares, I can let you know of any events of interest while you are here.

Sue

Sue Walker

Author of "Retiring the Ole Way", now available on Amazon

See my blog about our life in Spain: www.spainuncovered.com

Like 0      
16 Jun 2011 8:01 PM by KERRYB Star rating in Wales & Murcia. 113 posts Send private message

Hi Sue

We are visiting Friday 24th June to Friday1st july

We did Jumilla a couple of years when we stayed at La Torre.

We only managed to find 1 bodega in the town but did manage to walk from the village up to the castle.

Happy for any suggestions

Thanks for your help

Kerry

Like 0      
16 Jun 2011 8:28 PM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

Hi Kerry

There are actually 4 bodegas within walking distance of the town centre, plus LOADS more in the countryside!  The Castle has been restored and is well worth a visit, especially as at the moment there is a minibus to take you up there (1€ for the return trip) and entry to the castle is free.  Everybody we have taken there has been impressed by the sympathetic way it has been restored and there is lots of interesting information about its history.  It is only open at weekends during the summer months.

Calasparra is also worth visiting, especially the Sanctuary in the mountains, plus you can see the paddy fields and try Calasparra rice!

Have you looked on www.simplynetworking.es?  It is a website in English specifically about the Murcia region.

Enjoy your trip!

Sue Walker

Like 0      
16 Jun 2011 8:39 PM by Jimbofinn Star rating in Chiclana De La Front.... 224 posts Send private message

Jimbofinn´s avatar

Follow this link which shoud give you the "Fiestas what's on in Valetine" a very pretty and traditional village just outside Calasparra.  It covers the dates that you are out here.

Have a great time

Like 0      
16 Jun 2011 11:00 PM by KERRYB Star rating in Wales & Murcia. 113 posts Send private message

Hi jimbofinn

There does not appear to be a link?

Like 0      
17 Jun 2011 8:59 AM by Jimbofinn Star rating in Chiclana De La Front.... 224 posts Send private message

Jimbofinn´s avatar

DOH!!! silly 'ol me this should take you there:

http://nexonr.com/?p=1667

Any problems, just navigate to the .com part of the link and you should find it.

Like 0      
17 Jun 2011 6:28 PM by KERRYB Star rating in Wales & Murcia. 113 posts Send private message

Hi Jimbofirm

thanks for the info.

The area looks really nice

Is it about an hour drive from Los Alcazares?

regards

Kerry

Like 0      
19 Jun 2011 7:09 AM by KERRYB Star rating in Wales & Murcia. 113 posts Send private message

Doing a bit more research I think it's more like 90 mins

Like 0      
19 Jun 2011 9:23 AM by Jimbofinn Star rating in Chiclana De La Front.... 224 posts Send private message

Jimbofinn´s avatar

Yes, you are right about the time, but if you have experience of driving on the Spanish roads you will certainly know that the lack of traffic makes most journeys very enjoyable with startling contrasts in the countryside.  Near to Valentine is the embalmse (reservoir) Argos.  Very pretty wooded walks along its shoreline.

PS don't forget a visit to the Santurio de la esperenza a few miles further on (if you don't mind "churchy" like things) bur very pretty with lots of shaded areas near the Rio Segura.

Like 0      
19 Jun 2011 10:43 AM by KERRYB Star rating in Wales & Murcia. 113 posts Send private message

Thanks Again Jimbofinn

Can you recommend any restaurants?

Preferably Spanish although my spanish is extremely limited!!

Like 0      
20 Jun 2011 9:57 AM by Jimbofinn Star rating in Chiclana De La Front.... 224 posts Send private message

Jimbofinn´s avatar

Good restaurants - a rather subjective matter!  A newly opened restaurant in Calasparra is the Santa Palabra in Calle Del Hospicio.  We sampled it's cuisine a few weeks ago.  Very traditional and we thought good quality - but pricey.  Alternativley the restaurant at the sanctuary is meant to be good, as is the one at the Los Viveros camp site.  I know that there is one in Valentine but can't remember the name/exact location suffice to say it's in the village square & I believe has odd opening hours.  But if you visit during the festivities I'm sure it will be open?  Every restaurant in this area is very Spanish  There are no Chinese Wok / Italian / English style eateries in the are that I know of.  I'm sorry that I cant be any more help than that - good luck.

This message was last edited by Jimbofinn on 20/06/2011.

Like 0      
20 Jun 2011 10:22 AM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

We have eaten at the one in the Sanctuary.  They do several menús, which includes one with paella (not surprisingly!).  Reasonably priced too, considering where it is.  The surroundings are lovely and I would recommend going on a hot day if you want to be cool.  We went on a Sunday with John's grandsons, and the kids loved swimming in the river.

Sue

Sue Walker

Like 0      
21 Jun 2011 12:15 AM by KERRYB Star rating in Wales & Murcia. 113 posts Send private message

Hi

Thanks for the responses

How do I find the sanctuary?

Regards
Kerry

Like 0      
21 Jun 2011 2:31 PM by Jimbofinn Star rating in Chiclana De La Front.... 224 posts Send private message

Jimbofinn´s avatar

Take the A7 to Murcia. Take the C415 (Mula/Caravaca) and follow to Cehgin taking junction 57 the Madrid / Calasparra road (C3314).  Follow along for several miles, ignore the 1st junction for Calasparra and take the 3rd which is the slip road/junction for Calasparra centro.  Take the 3rd exit off the roundabout and go straight across the next roundabout.  The Polvora restaurant should be on your right at this point it looks like a largish log cabin with a gravel parking area.  Approx 250 yards go straight over the mini roundabout and follow the road on down to the the sanctuary, where there is ample parking.  You shoud see plenty of signage for the sanctury that says something like " Santurio De La Esperenza" .  Prior to the sanctuary on the right is a view point that overlooks the Rio Segura and the rice fields.

Enjoy your day

Like 0      
21 Jun 2011 7:33 PM by KERRYB Star rating in Wales & Murcia. 113 posts Send private message

Thanks again for all your help

As you know the area so well Please could I be really cheeky and ask a day visitors guide to suggested places to visit whilst in the area.

My plan is to set off reasonably early and arrive around 10.30 just in time for coffee.

We simply like wandering and exploring

Cheers

Kerry

Like 0      
21 Jun 2011 8:39 PM by Jimbofinn Star rating in Chiclana De La Front.... 224 posts Send private message

Jimbofinn´s avatar

Caravaca de la Cruz The Monastry.  Moratalla (Saturdays are market day).  The area of the Fundacion de la real piedad in the town of Cehegin.  You can also go white water rafting on the Rio Segura but you need to visit the website Qalat.com for details. The cueva del puerto (cave paintings)- again through Qalat.com.  You might also telephone the tourist info office Details on this website: http://costacalida.angloinfo.com/afdetail.asp?Rec=6880 You may also want to visit the Cenajo Reservoir and dam.  I  am of the opinion that if you just do the Sanctuary, Monastry ,Moratalla and Cehegin your day will be full enough.

Have fun and regards

Like 0      
24 Jun 2011 8:46 AM by KERRYB Star rating in Wales & Murcia. 113 posts Send private message

Flying out today can't wait !!!!

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

estate agent - 1 posts
Why shoot the messenger? - 12 posts
Can a Community function? - 7 posts
Spanish Language Radio - 3 posts
AIFOS in court again ! ! ! - 11 posts
sevillana-endesa - 1 posts
BBC 1 HD signal has disappeared - 1 posts
quad bike wheels & tyres - 0 posts
Corruption matters - 2 posts
Villa Ibiza - 1 posts
International School in Campo de Gibraltar - 34 posts
The Ambassador talking. - 7 posts
Aifos owners face prison (Again) ? - 2 posts
Developers appeal against decision...who knows? - 11 posts
getting license de obra for ibiza villa - 10 posts
How do I close a joint bank account for my mother and late step father - 0 posts
Hot air balooning in Andalucia. Help please. - 1 posts
Another newbie.......... - 5 posts
Reading SOME posters posts lately .. - 3 posts
do i need an nie - 9 posts
Good News For Investors - 0 posts
Los Alcazares bike hire - 4 posts
Bank Fee's please Help - 5 posts
Income tax in Spain - 2 posts
Desperate developer or just creative? - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 31

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x