south of Spain Help

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
19 May 2011 12:00 AM by darren334 Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

I am very interested in buying a property in the Southern end of Spain. I am hoping to capture both the beach in the summer and the skiing in the winter (greedy I know). I was hoping that people might have suggestions of nice places to buy a 2nd home. My only requirements would be child friendly and not too isolated.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Like 0      
19 May 2011 1:56 PM by campana Star rating in Marbella. 474 posts Send private message

campana´s avatar

Hello Darren:

Best advice would be to come to the south of Spain for a holiday, get a car, and drive around until you come upon a place that you instinctively like.  There is a fine ski resort in Granada, so perhaps somewhere in Málaga province would suit you, where you would be close to the sea yet a relatively short drive from Granada.  It might also be a good idea to rent a place first in the area you decide you like.  Above all, don't jump into anything without first doing considerable homework.

All the best

Patricia

Like 0      
19 May 2011 2:18 PM by debbie01 Star rating in Nueva Andalucia. 11 posts Send private message

We bought our place here over 7 years ago - we got lucky as we did actually let our hearts rule our heads.......  Definitely sound advice.  Come over, take a drive around and when you see somewhere you like, come back again to test the waters.  There are many people who will be pushing properties, bargains etc but it is important to consider your wish list which may well change when you get here. 

We love it and as I said, we got lucky and would not change living here for the world.  We live a 10 min drive from Puerto Banus and 2.5 hours to Granada.  Went ski-ing December for weekend and in February for a day (ok bit challenging in a day but fabulous).  It is as close to heaven as it gets..........

Good luck and if you have any questions on where we are, don´t hesitate to shout.

Regards

Debbie

Like 0      
19 May 2011 2:26 PM by campana Star rating in Marbella. 474 posts Send private message

campana´s avatar

Good advice Debbie.  Don't let anyone push you into buying anything, if you can do buy a house or apartment that is already built, i.e. from the previous owner.  And please, please, do engage a lawyer!

Patricia

Like 0      
01 Aug 2011 8:49 AM by spaniola Star rating in Jaen. 22 posts Send private message

I would have thought La Alpujarra would be a good place to start, between the ski slopes of the Sierra Nevada and the Costa Tropical at Almuñecar.

Like 0      
01 Aug 2011 7:47 PM by fultond Star rating in Haywards Heath & Tor.... 242 posts Send private message

Just to support the others in that you really need to visit. You will instinctively know if a place is right for you. We overlook Torrequebrada Golf, just 10-15 mins drive from Malaga Airport, and everything we want is within easy reach. We can walk to beach and Benalmadena. For driving; Puerto Banus/Marbella 30-40 mins. Granada around 1hr 20mins. Lots of lovely coastal (e.g. La Cala, Cabopino, La Carihuela) and mountain towns (e.g. Mijas, Ronda) within easy driving reach. And we can get the train from the airport to within walking distance (Arroyo del La Miel) of our apartment . Don't forget the train from Malaga stops at Fuengirola, if you choose this region. Think about what is important for you as a location. Do you want to be able to walk to beach, town, restaurants. Do you want to be tied to having a car due to remoteness, or lack of public transport. Do you want noisy, quiet, etc.

Once you find an area you like make sure you consider the real important things that influence how much you will enjoy your stays. Private balcony, large/small balcony, views, sun in morning or afternoon. Private/shared pool, or no pool. Car parking. Storage rooms. Check community fees. There are so many things to consider, do not be drawn into buying something before you have really checked a load out.

Once you choose an area ask people on this site if they can recommend good agents, because there are both excellent agents and bad ones, so go by recommendation. Also as earlier stated, an independent lawyer is a must. Again go by recommendation.

It really can be heavenly coming out to your own place whenever you want. But don't rush it, the buying and selling costs are high, and it is an expensive error to fix if you get it wrong.

Good luck and hope you find somewhere that makes you as happy as we are.

Dave

Like 0      
21 Feb 2012 2:32 PM by villamarre Star rating. 13 posts Send private message

I can thoroughly recommend Huelva region of southern Spain as we have lived here for 9 years and love it,we are close to lovely beaches and only 20 minutes to algarve and are served by Faro airport and Seville which are both 1 hours drive away.The region is typically spanish and unspoilt and the locals are extremely friendly and appreciate the fact that have moved here and spend our money here.the climate is excellent and the cost of living is low ,we have lots of Spanish friends and they are always helpful if we need advice or help with any problems.

I can only endorse what has been said previously and that is do your homework,make sure all the paperwork for property is in order,always use your own solicitor and if need be hire an interpreter to help,the more homework you do before buying the less problems and hassle you will have afterwards and you can then enjoy your new holiday home.

Like 0      
21 Feb 2012 6:11 PM by darrenspain Star rating. 10 posts Send private message

thanks for the info!

Like 0      
22 Feb 2012 10:29 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Alcaidesa, Zahara de los Atunes...

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
28 Mar 2012 5:56 PM by jeroenmaas1989 Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Look this nice video!

http://youtu.be/rFuP5pdsHSo

Like 0      
28 Mar 2012 6:55 PM by hosilverlining Star rating in Property owner in Gr.... 173 posts Send private message

There are some great villages and towns around Granada where you can be within an hour of either the Sierra Nevada or the Costa Tropical, or can reach Granada city in a very short time.  The Alpujarras are great if you want a country location, some of the towns are a reasonable size, depends if you want peaceful isolation or to be handy for the hypermarkets!  It's a fair drive off the A44 to get to Lanjaron or Orgiva.  Last time we went to Orgiva on market day it was throbbing - maybe a bit too much?  It is certainly geared up for tourists.

Padul is just off the main road south of Granada, and there are a number of villages on the approaches to the Sierra Nevada.  Also around the junction of the A44/A92 there are a number of options - Santa Fe, Pinos Puente, Atarfe, Albolote - less picturesque (although Santa Fe has its original 4 gates in the centre of town) but all small towns with bars, restaurants and supermarkets etc and with easy access to the motorways & the city.  It's 1.5 hrs from Malaga aiport to our apartment just outside Granada.

Have fun looking, and remember that it does get cold in the winter in this area - minus temperatures at night all though January and February this year, though with some lovely sunny days too. 

Like 0      
28 Mar 2012 7:48 PM by nerjaboy Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

I am biased as my username suggests.....

I also had the same requirements as you and after many years looking for the right place found Nerja to be the best option!!!

It's just over 2 hours drive from the Sierra Nevada at "normal speeds" and is great for summer holidays.

If you want any more info on Nerja PM me and I will be happy to help.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

LFO - 1 posts
Valencia airport to Murcia airport - 9 posts
playpen - 0 posts
UTILITY CONNECTION FEES - 2 posts
cheap guest house / hotel in manilva area. - 3 posts
Mattress 190 x 135, brand new - 0 posts
properties in monda with no habitation licence - 5 posts
Spanish youth rally in Madrid echoes Egypt protests - 11 posts
Honda Goldwing Trike for sale - 1 posts
JUST TWO QUESTIONS I WOULD LIKE YOUR READERS TO APPLY TO - 0 posts
Dispute with a hotel fee - 2 posts
Using Facebook to rent out your property to holidaymakers - 6 posts
New-nationally introduced health, safety and security training for workers in Spain - 0 posts
Any info on Almerimar? - 10 posts
Any lawyer/someone with experience who could be kind and help explain the squatting rights in Spain please - 8 posts
Pet supplies - 2 posts
cant wait to leave uk for good - 0 posts
Televes satelite receiver Spain. uk programmes - 1 posts
Tipping in spain.What do you do? - 7 posts
Healthcare for ex Servicemen - 2 posts
carpet fitting in spain - 6 posts
Norman Sands - 45 posts
help anyone ENDESA - 6 posts
renualt grand scenic for sale - 0 posts
looking for a long term rental - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 12

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x