I am doing a project about the cost of living in Spain compared to the cost of living in the UK and I would like to know what you think. Is it more expensive here or in the UK, and whats negative about Spain for Brits.

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
09 Jul 2011 10:29 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar

Hi, Jon07,

Food/Household Items:  €400-500 pm (obviously, this will depend on your purchase preferences! We spend alot more than this, but we are a family of three).

Electricity€100-120 pm

Council Taxes :  (IBI?  Depends on local council, development, etc.) but say about €60 pm

Water:  €70 pm

Private Health Insurance:  € 300 pm ?

Telephone landline and Internet: €40 pm (deals initially could be less for new contracts - landline is usually about €14 pm itself)

International TV channels:  Sky installation (box, dish, etc. - may be less without dish if development has one) about €500 for freeview UK channels, no monthly payment unless you wish to subscribe to paid channels.

Car Licence: Not sure what you mean but if it is annual registration about €90 per annum (don't know whether this changes according to municipality or not)

Car Insurance:  Think that one may depend on some personal circumstances and is based on the car value, etc., but probably about €600 per annum (so €50 pm)

If you plan on buying, there will also be community fees, the amount of which will depend on the community you purchase in.  Personally (and I think you'll find the consensus may agree) I wouldn't buy initially and would rent.  Prices are still forecast to come down in Spain and you will be much better placed in your decision making after renting in an area (or two!) for a while.

I'm giving some 'ballpark' figures and have probably over- and under-estimated and there are probably more expenses that aren't covered above, but hope it helps anyway.

This message was last edited by Pitby on 09/07/2011.

This message was last edited by Pitby on 09/07/2011.

Like 0      
10 Jul 2011 10:05 AM by Jon07 Star rating in Sydney. 84 posts Send private message

Hi Pitby,

Many thanks indeed for the extremely helpful response.

The only surprise was the estimate for private health insurance (300 Euro PM). We had misguidedly been working on about 130 Euro per month i.e. which is what we currently pay in Australia. Anyway, it appears Spanish private health cover is either very comprehensive or expensive.  A standard doctor's visit or dental check in Australia is about 50 Euro & I was wondering how that compares with Spain ?

We had estimated our total monthly outgoings @ about 2300 Euro i.e. for a couple based on owning their property & excluding holidays - does that appear about right ??  For general information, a similiar standard of living in Australia would be about double plus comparable property could be 6 times more - no fun !!

Have had a look at Duquesa Village where you live - appears really nice !

Thanks again for your assistance,

Jon

PS: This is probably off topic but wondering if anyone is living around (or familiar with) Benahavis or the Los Arqueros or La Quinta Resorts. Would be most helpful to touch base with anyone living in that area (excluding property agents) - where we are considering buying

This message was last edited by Jon07 on 10/07/2011.

Like 0      
10 Jul 2011 10:55 AM by AJB1 Star rating in Benahavis, Costa del.... 63 posts Send private message

Hi Jon07

We have rented (long term) an apartment in 2 of the golf complexes on the way to Benahavis - Benatalaya and Capanes del Golf.

They are both very nice complexes with excellent facilities and good security. We have moved away from there, to Estepona Port, mainly because we felt very isolated as you need a car to do anything (although since we moved they have built a supermarket opposite Benatalaya).

We did encounter other issues in both complexes but that was more to do with personal preference than anything else and so whether they're right for you, will depend on what you're looking for.

Damp and mould have also been an issue in a couple of the apartments we have rented so be aware of that when looking.

If you have any other questions, ask away!

Like 0      
10 Jul 2011 1:45 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
Hi Jon,

Health insurance cost will depend on what cover you choose - I think you can pay anything from about €100 up. You can check out a quote on www.sanitas.es - obviously there are difference insurance companies and that is just one example.

I think the standard doctor/dental fee is about the same as you quote.

Like 0      
10 Jul 2011 3:08 PM by rod Star rating in Uk and Spain. 468 posts Send private message

Jon

The resorts you talked about are isolated ,you may be looking for seclusion after the full on effects of Sydney life but particulary in winter they can be lonely, I have experience of staying in this area and my wife and I were quite bored after a few weeks.

If i was you I would aim for the Mijas Costa, it has a lot more to do and everything on your door step ,I am slightly biased as I have my property in this area but as I have experience of both over the years I feel I can give a balanced view.

But of course you are going to rent in a few different areas before you buy, also Marbella central is somewhere you may consider

Regards Rod

This message was last edited by rod on 10/07/2011.

This message was last edited by rod on 10/07/2011.

Like 0      
10 Jul 2011 4:48 PM by campana Star rating in Marbella. 474 posts Send private message

campana´s avatar

Jon:

The figures given by Pitby are quite on the mark, IMO.  Indeed we spend even more on food per month than the figure mentioned by Pitby.  And we are two.

I fully agree with other posters who urge you to rent first before making that decision to purchase.

Rod makes a good point about considering Marbella central. 

Private health insurance is expensive and is rated on the age band.  We found BUPA International to be excellent, if a little expensive.  Then again, you get what you pay for.  You could look at the website and check them out.

Good luck with everything

Patricia

Like 0      
11 Jul 2011 5:45 AM by Jon07 Star rating in Sydney. 84 posts Send private message

Hi Pitby, AJB1, Rod & Patricia,

Your feedback & practical pointers are most appreciated.

Since I do not wish to "hijack" this thread (i.e.about  cost of living), I feel its better to start a new thread  focusing on places to live in Costa del Sol. Hopefully, you guys will continue contributing.

Cheers,

Jon

Like 0      
11 Jul 2011 12:29 PM by Jack5340 Star rating in Calahonda Costa Del .... 56 posts Send private message

Hi all,

On the cost of living. I have kept an Excel spreadsheet going for the last couple of years.

We (2 of us) live in Calahonda, Which is in Mijas on the Costa del Sol. We live in a 2 bed apartment which we own. No mortgage.

Our com fees are 534 per 3 months (this has gone up a lot because of non-payers).

These are average costs over this time. We actually spend less than this as we don't always spend this much on eating out and Misc items. As can be seen from the list below the total cost of these things is 1149.62 pm. You can add on a few other things but the total still only comes to  about 1200 pm.

Weekly   4 weekly
Car Servicing/Insurance € 17.50   € 70
Diesel € 25   € 100
Community fees € 45.00   € 180.00
Electric € 18.50   € 75
Water € 3.12   € 12.50
Food  € 75   € 300
Eating out € 30   € 120
House Insurance € 4   € 16
Miscellaneous € 30   € 120.00
Phone/internet € 7.50   € 30
Skype € .75   € 1.50
IBI/Basura Taxes € 15   € 60
Helicopteros € 7.50   € 30

Like 0      
11 Jul 2011 1:01 PM by worthy Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

My husband and I have been in Spain just under 2 years and have spent most of our savings on unexpected things such as the high cost of making a will, tax on importing an old vehicle, so on, now living on UK State pension  between us of 1648 euros, cannot affort health insurance but neither could we in the UK. We live on the outskirts of an old town who does not have many expats (spread around) so no community for the English or spanish lessons, nor are there competion so prices can be higher than UK on some foods.  But the good things out here in Spain is the quite roads (unless you are going into big cities) less crime, the Spanish people, the sunshine, and could you afford a house with a pool in England. No not unless you are wealthy but few of us are not. We made the choice so have to make it work and if needs tightenng the belt then that's what we have to do.

Like 0      
23 Jan 2012 1:22 AM by kezza972 Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

I just want to say how lovely it is to come on a thread and not be hit by negativity after negativity.  Although it has made me more determind!

See you all in Feb!

Like 0      
23 Jan 2012 10:30 AM by alancambs Star rating in Las Kalendas Fortuna. 134 posts Send private message

alancambs´s avatar

It depends on where you decide to live, we live inland 40 mins from the coast and we spend a lot less that quoted here.all costs are in Euros not pounds.

Water   10 per month

Electricity   80 per month - we have now changed our water heater, hob to gas so it will be much less.

Food   40-50 per week and we have 3 dogs and we all eat well.

Car tax   68 per year

House insurance   180 per year

Car Insurance 350 per year

Suma   60 per year

Phone and internet   30 per month

Community fees    200 per year

Eating out   from 5 to 12 per person thats for menu del dias, three courses

Fags 3.30 a packet.  beer, coffee 1 Euro, shorts 2 Euros and thats a treble.

Live in land its much cheaper,hotter in the summer and winter.

We miss nothing living out here and to be honest we couldn't afford to live in England now far to expensive.

People here are so friendly and helpful, the air is much cleaner and the views are amazing.

This message was last edited by alancambs on 23/01/2012.

Like 0      
23 Jan 2012 10:33 AM by gcarton Star rating. 144 posts Send private message

Look at the date of the original request! I think the survey is over.

Guy

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

bmibaby pulls out of Cardiff - 4 posts
Vistalmar Duquesa Sur - 2 posts
dishwasher/washing machine repairs - 2 posts
swap rhd audi avant diesel 2002 for spanish reg car - 1 posts
INSS Fuengirola - 3 posts
Need swimming pool repairer please - 0 posts
I cant beleive owners allowed to mis represent their properties for renting - 1 posts
Well Done RYANAIR - 32 posts
Lost the " Inspeccion Tecnica de Vehiculos " - 6 posts
Is it easier to get visa after 1 year of living in Spain illegally? - 1 posts
Hello!I'm newbie here. - 0 posts
Capital Gains Tax from sale of property - 4 posts
It is easy to LEAVE BT in Spain - 0 posts
La Gardenia service and travel - 2 posts
Looking for a cleaner in Altea Hills area - 0 posts
SIP Card Access to the Spanish Healthcare? - 9 posts
Polaris old building - 2 posts
La Gardenia Service and Travel - 2 posts
Good News For Spain - 9 posts
Amazing Spanish Bank Charges - 6 posts
License for First Occupation in established property - 9 posts
CHANGING ADDRES FOR THE CAR - 3 posts
CHANGING ADDRESS FOR THE CAR - 7 posts
Areas - 0 posts
Inroal Mediterráneo III development 'lost deposits' - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 32

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x