Astronomical interest and legal fees - what are my options?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
03 Mar 2011 12:00 AM by Baby_N Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

I had a 10,000€ personal loan with a Caja de ahorros. In 2008, due to the high rate of interest on my mortgage, I found I couldnt afford paying it anymore. In September 2008 they sent a burofax to my parents address in Zaragoza asking me to pay the whole amount otherwise there would be a "proceso monitorio".  (I had already chagnged my address with them to my actual address, and I used to receive the Equifax letters and the bank statements here). By an unfortunate coincidence, the day they sent the burofax, I was in hospital giving birth to my son, and my parents were here with me, as a consequence I never found out about the burofax until much later.

In November 2008, unaware of the above, I rang my office to ask how much were the outstanding monthly amounts I had to pay them, (I received the 2500€ that the government was giving for having a baby at that time and I wanted to clear the back payments). They told me the loan was in legal, and I had to pay the whole amount plus legal fees if i wanted them to stop the legal process. Of course, if I couldnt afford 136€ a month, I was hardly going to afford 10.000€ in one go! Anyway, i made a payment of 830€ on the 12th of November 2008 and continued to make voluntary payments of 200€ a month.

I contacted a solicitor that worked for the company I used to work for, who is a friend of mine, and she helped me writing a burofax to the bank, asking for an agreement of making monthly payments, and in return asking if they would stop the legal proccess. They never replied to my offer.

In January 2009, my work got a letter from the court, saying they had to seize my wages at source. I work for a private school but I am paid by Comunidad de Madrid, so it took a while between the time they received the letter from court, and the point at which they started with embargo. In the meantime, the bank asked court as well to seizure my income taxes in case they were "negativa".

I wrote to the judge, (on behalf of myself as I couldnt afford a solicitor), explaining the facts, and asking for a reduction in my seizure, as  I had 3 small children. The judge forwarded my letter to the bank and then the bank replied. They completely lied saying on that on the 14th November 2008 we had reached an agreement that I would pay 300€ monthly and that I hadn´t accomplished it on any month. (they never replied to my offer of agreement!). Anyway the judge didnt reduce the seizure, and since April 2010 they are taking 462€ from my monthly wages, 100€ monthly that hacienda "pays" me for having a child under 3, and as well the income tax from last year.

From November 2008 to October 2009 I made voluntary payments of 2760€ in total. From April 2010 (when the embargo began) to February 2011, I have paid a further 7901,91€. The judge asked my employer to seize my wages until the amoungt of 7966,81€  + 2300€ for legal fees and interest. So I have already paid more than the judge stipulated.

I asked the bank a month ago to inform the judge that all payments had been received (the judge is unaware of the 2760€ of voluntary payments I made before the embargo took effect), and the bank told me that the 2300€ for legal fees was just an estimation, and the actual fee could be as high as 6000€! So I now find myself in the position of paying almost 600€ a month with no idea what the money is for.

My questions are:

1.- is there a deadline for the solicitors of the bank to ask for the final liquidation of interests and legal fees?

2.- Is it worth hiring a solicitor and "procurador" to ask the court to stop the seizure, as I already have paid the amounts that the Judge asked for?

Many thanks

Like 0      
03 Mar 2011 2:53 PM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

You should have denounced the bank at the 1st opportunity , using  'Hojas de Reclamación ' ,when they failed to respond to your letters & e-mails. You should then have denounced them again for lying at court & by failing to mention that you had made voluntary payments. You should approach the 'defensor del cliente ' of the bank citing all the above & if possible make a complaint with OMIC ( consumer organisation) .Local council can tell you where the offices are. The only way to get them to discuss the matter is to attack them using every means available to you, Hojas de reclamación, Omic, Defensor del cliente, etc; at every opportunity . If they do not reply to ANY communication make a complaint. Don't ever let anything pass. I would certainly ask the advice of a solicitor with a view to recovering anything overpaid & asking why they didn't have to supply proof that you'd made an aggreement that you didn't. I certainly can't see a judge making an order for 'open -ended '  costs.

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
03 Mar 2011 3:23 PM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

Just another example of a Spanish bank going in for the kill.

I would have though scale fees should apply which based on the amount of the claim would not have been that high.

Like 0      
03 Mar 2011 8:04 PM by Baby_N Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Hi Gus,

Many thanks for the advice. Many of the ideas you have suggested are things I have thought of previously, and if I haven´t done them it is because I had faith in the judicial system and I refrained from antagonising the bank further.

Also, my immediate financial situation is dire, deprived of 600€ a month for almost a year now, I´m struggling to buy groceries, so I simply don´t have money to fling at solicitors. My concern is, that by starting any legal action now it could result in me having to pay even more legal costs in the long term, and perhaps it would be wiser to just let events run their course and see what happens.

By my own calculations I have already overpaid by 395.10€, by the end of this month it will be almost 1000€ overpaid. Does the bank have the right to keep taking money like this. What would happen if I called Guardia Civil and denounced the bank for theft? The paper I have from the judge says my wages are to be embargoed up to the amounts I stated previously.

Thanks

Like 0      
07 Mar 2011 7:24 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

2.- Is it worth hiring a solicitor and "procurador" to ask the court to stop the seizure, as I already have paid the amounts that the Judge asked for?

Of course it is. And in many occassions Bank stop when a strong defence is presented to them

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

4x4 wanted - 3 posts
Why the non bank guarantee cases will fail .... - 25 posts
Hi My name is Matthew - 2 posts
WANTED! WILL PICK UP YOUR COMPUTER / ELECTRONIC / ICS SCRAP! - 0 posts
Our wonderful holiday at El Oasis apartment! - 1 posts
Looking for a property - 3 posts
Car Hire Question - 9 posts
The Black Bull Steakhouse and Bar, San Miguel de Salinas - 3 posts
Parking fine - 3 posts
Car Tax - change of address - 13 posts
Clean up politics in Spain - 3 posts
How To Prevent Comment Spam On EOS Blogs? - 0 posts
Chasing mortgage debt in the UK - 64 posts
HAPPY ST DAVIDS DAY - 13 posts
Parque Commercial Las Playas New Shopping Centre La Zenia/Playa Flamenca - 22 posts
Motorway speed limits coming down to 110 kph - 15 posts
wanted, dining table chairs - 1 posts
Who voted for or against? - 0 posts
RTA-Europe/ - 3 posts
I want to swap my Fiat Punto HGT (2002 Spanish reg, LHD) for UK plates RHD - 14 posts
Tourist Visa for Spain - 3 posts
Industrial paper shredder - 0 posts
LTSB/Halifax - forged documents - beware - 1 posts
For Sale. Double glazing for Fortuna terrace - 0 posts
Wanted - 5 Bedroom house in Barcelona area for client - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x