Legal Situation -Menus in Spanish???

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
15 Feb 2011 12:00 AM by sneezey Star rating. 64 posts Send private message

sneezey´s avatar

I booked a table for my Spanish partner's Birthday in a restaurant in Manilva by the River. I knew it was an English owned restaurant, but they had a live music act and were doing a special menu for Valentine's so I thought, great. We arrived as planned, and we ordered a drink at the bar, they gave us one menu in English between us. When we asked for the menu in Spanish, they said that they didn't have one!!! They said that they didn't get many Spanish customers, (wonder why?), so they didn't bother translating it, also that there was no one that spoke Spanish employed by the Restaurant, derr? exscuse me where are we???  My partner felt very uncomfortable and unwelcome ..... so we obviously left.

Is it legal to own a restaurant in Spain and only have the menus in English?? Isn't there a law whereby you should have a price list, presumably in Spanish?? I would be interested to hear your view on this.

denisemolony@gmail.com

Like 0      
15 Feb 2011 11:31 AM by TP1 Star rating in Milton Keynes and Ca.... 161 posts Send private message

Slightly off topic but reminded me of a funny episode once when i was in an Estate Agents in Moraira chatting away to staff  when a Spanish couple came in.  The staff just shrugged and said they didn't speak Spainish. 

Couldn't beleive it!

This message was last edited by TP1 on 15/02/2011.

This message was last edited by TP1 on 15/02/2011.

Like 0      
15 Feb 2011 12:10 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

15 Feb 2011 12:16 PM by sneezey Star rating. 64 posts Send private message

sneezey´s avatar

How did you guess????

Like 0      
15 Feb 2011 1:37 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

When you said it was a restaurant by the river that didn't get many Spanish customers, that's what made me think of Armstrongs. 

I've never been myself as it looks expensive and they only seem to do British style food.  I'd rather eat Spanish style personally.

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
15 Feb 2011 1:39 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

Getting back to the original question, I'm not sure about the legal requirement to have menus in Spanish.  I've been to places in Catalunya where the menu has only been in Catalan, but then they seem to do what they want up there!

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
15 Feb 2011 2:06 PM by shadow754 Star rating in La Alpujarra, Granad.... 29 posts Send private message

In answer to your question, yes I believe the menu does have to be in Spanish, and that has to be the first language seen when the menu is opened, other languages are an optional extra, but Spanish is a must.

Like 0      
15 Feb 2011 4:33 PM by Benito Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

I can´t say that this is the gospel truth, but I have opened a few restaurants here in Spain and the advice given to me by my lawyers is that there is no legal obligation to provide menu´s in any other language other than Spanish. 

The reason for this is quite simple..... We are in Spain!  It has absolutely nothing to do with Facism or nationalism and more to do with any allergies that a guest in your restaurant may have.  It really covers the restaurants interests more than anyone elses.

For example, if someone with a nut allergy eats nuts in this restaurant and is rushed to hospital then if they are Spanish or a legal resident of Spain then they will have their medical bills paid by the government. However, if a menu is not available in the local dialect (i.e. Spanish) then the local resident would not have any way to positively identify what he or she was eating, therefore the restaurant would be liable for any medical bills incurred by this individual which can run up to tens of thousands of euros.

A simple 20 minute translation would stop this from happening.

Any tourists traveling from another country should be covered by their own personal travel insurance and therefore eat at their own risk, however a resident in this country has the right to not be at risk outside of their own home.

With regards to the staff not speaking Spanish, it is a shame that so many expats seem to be ignorant to the fact that they are in a different country, however there is no law against what language you speak, this is a democratic country after all.  There are language classes for forign residents which are subsidized by the government, however these are hard to find now a days as they were very unpopular and have mostly been replaced by English classes for Spanish residents. 

How we love our special ways eh!

Like 0      
15 Feb 2011 6:44 PM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

are you sure sneezey it was not the price put you off

Like 0      
16 Feb 2011 7:55 AM by sneezey Star rating. 64 posts Send private message

sneezey´s avatar

Definitely not the price, I knew the price when I booked it as it was a special menu it had a set price. 

I have been informed that legally a restaurant must have the menu in Spanish and can be fined if they don't. Apparently in Andalucia they are not so worried about enforcing this law, but if there is a complaint made then they would be forced to act and at least give a warning before taking action.

I hadn't thought about the food allergy point,  good one, makes sense.

Like 0      
17 Feb 2011 8:25 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

These matters are regulates by every region.

In Andalucia ,DECRETO 198/1987, de 26 de agosto, por el que se establecen determinadas medidas en defensa de consumidores y usuarios para los establecimientos de restauración y similares.   establishes in provision 4 that:

1. Las cartas de comidas y bebidas, las listas de precios y los otros medios de publicidad estarán redactados en castellano en todos los establecimientos y además en francés e inglés en los restaurantes catalogados de lujo, primera y segunda y en las cafeterías catalogadas de especiales y de primera.

( Menus of food and drinks, list of prices and other publicity means need to be worded in spanish in every establishment and also in french and english in those restaurantes ranked as luxury, first and second class and coffee shops classed as specials and first class)

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
17 Feb 2011 3:54 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

I think it's incredibly rude for a restaurant in Spain not to offer a menu in Spanish, no matter what the nationality of the owners!

Also, if you go to France and Germany, how many restaurants don't have a menu in the native language, again irrespective of the nationality of the owners.

Having said that, have you ever been to a posh Italian or French restaurant in the UK, and been greeted with a menu that has no English translation on it?

Personally, here on the Costa Del Sol, if I owned a restaurant, I would have a menu in Spanish, English, German and Dutch, as these are they most common languages spoken by people who visit or live here.

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
17 Feb 2011 5:35 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

So start learning: 

Source: El mundo de las tapas website

You can click on names of tapas below adn will find the recipé!!

Alcachofas con asadillo Anónimo
Albóndigas de atún Rafael Lechuga Butron, España
Berenjenas de Almagro Anónimo
Boquerones en Vinagre Anónimo
Buñuelos de Bacalao Luis, España
Buñuelos de Chorizo Anónimo
Calamares fritos Anónimo
Caldereta de bacalao Anónimo
Callos a la Madrileña Anónimo
Canutillos de Cecina Luz Villalobos, España
Champiñones al ajillo Yubelly Rincón, España
Crema de patata al Azafran
con ventresca de Atun
Jose Manuel Gonzalez, Sevilla, España
Croquetas de Jamon Anónimo
Dados de butifarra con “all i oli” Miquel, España
Envueltos de panceta Angel, Argentina
Escabeche de Gambas Roberto Vera
Espárragos de Marisco Pedro, España
Fritada Jose Antonio, Ciudad Real, España
Frutas y quesos Beatriz, España
Garbanzos al Ajillo con Chorizo
y Aceite de Perejil
Gazpacho Anónimo
Higos con Jamón Mimi, España
Huevos en salsa de anchoas Rita Alcalde, Inglaterra
Huevos rellenos en Argentina Rolando, Argentina
Huevos rellenos en Nueva Zelanda Joaquim Gines, Nueva Zelanda
Montaditos de roquefort a la sidra Yolanda Oriol Garin, España
Montado de pimientos Borja Roig, España
Montado de huevos de Codorniz Inma Martínez Alario, España
Morcilla de Arroz a la plancha con Piquillos
y polvo de Kikos
Morro de cerdo frito MIquel, España
Paella Anónimo
Pan con Tomate, Ajo y Jamon Anónimo
Pan de brioché crocante, ceviche y quesillo Cristian Medrano, Argentina
Pastel de Carne Vicente Jose Soler Juan, España
Patatas Bravas Anónimo
Patatas de Casa Carmen Mª, España
Patatas Rellenas Judith Martínez, España
Patatas riojanas Ruben del Villar Garcia, Tenerife, España
Pintxo de Pisto de Ibericos con Queso Brie David, España
Pollo a la naranja Pilar, España
Pollo relleno de jamón Patricia Diaz
Quiche de rocquefort Ana, España
Rebaná Cortijera Paloma, España
Riñones de cordero al jerez Raúl, España
Rollitos de Requesón y Jamón cocido Elf, Italia
Salmorejo Cordobés Carmen Mª, España
Sandalia de Caravaca José Manuel Soria, España
Solomillo caramelizado con queso de cabra Eduardo Troya, España
Sombrero de Setas Carmen Mª, España
Torreznos Anónimo
Tortilla de Patatas Anónimo
Tostada de aguacate Mónica, España
Tostada de huevo de codorniz Maria Jesus Alemán, España
Tostada de membrillo y queso Zaira, España
 Maria

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

HANDHELD GPS WANTED - 6 posts
hand held gps - 0 posts
Find the Man in the coffee beans - 18 posts
Iberswitch - 53 posts
Car Hire - 0 posts
posting a picture - 4 posts
La Concha Living estate agency Puerto Banus, Marbella - 0 posts
External blinds in Murcia - 0 posts
BALCONY SAFETY NETS - 1 posts
Hi Im new around here - do you know................ - 4 posts
ladders - 0 posts
High Quality furniture for sale in EV, Murcia - 0 posts
Presidents voting without AGM Permission - 0 posts
Leather Headboards x2 Singles - 0 posts
Toys- Mama's & Papa's Push Chair for Sale - 0 posts
El Presidente whats it like to live there? - 3 posts
Easter - 2 posts
capital gains tax - 11 posts
renewing residencias - 0 posts
how much do you need to live on in spain - 40 posts
THE PETITION THROW-BACK - 110 posts
Water connection - 5 posts
solicitud certificacion de no residencia - 1 posts
Taxis from Alicante airport - 9 posts
Question for La Torre and Mar Menor Owners - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 13

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x