Help! Spanish ATM ate our holiday cash but bank still not returned it 7 months later!

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
04 Feb 2011 12:00 AM by rosieandbill Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Hello, I am new here and apologies for the very long post, but we are now at a complete loss to know what to do and are hoping for some advice.

We have been trying to recover the sum of 250 euros which was jammed in the ATM at Banesto in Orgiva on 12 June.

After more than six months, having made many telephone call and been given many promises, we still do not have our money back.
The events are as follows: 12 June
We attempt to withdraw 250 euros from the Banesto cash machine in Orgiva. The receipt is issued as if the transaction has taken place, but no cash is dispensed. The bank is closed but we put a note through the door to say what has happened.

14 June
We visit the bank and speak to the cashier on duty. He had received our note and knew there had been a problem and explained that an engineer was coming to rectify the mechanical problem that had resulted in our money being stuck in the machine. He suggested we call back in a few days time after the engineer’s visit.

17 June
We visit the bank again. Two cashiers are on duty. One of them spoke very good English and told us that the problem would be rectified in a few days and the money refunded directly to the bank account it had come from.

July/August
After returning home from holiday we check the bank statement when it arrives but no refund has been forthcoming.

We wait a while then write to the bank to request the refund is made. No reply is made to our letter.

September
Our interpreter telephones the bank on several occasions and is told that the refund will be made but it may take up to 15 days. At the end of the 15 days we are advised that the money is available to us but that it must be claimed by NatWest in the UK.

October/November
We pursue the matter through NatWest in the UK. We are sent a form to complete which we do. We then receive a letter explaining that the time elapsed is too much for them to be able to deal with it.

December
We contact the bank in Orgiva again and request that they find a way to return the money to us. They say that we should either collect it in person by travelling to Orgiva (which is a totally ridiculous and unreasonable suggestion) or give them details of a Spanish bank account to pay it into. They claim they are unable to return it to us automatically. They agree that they could send a cheque but it will take a long time and we will have to lose money because of bank charges.

January
We contact the bank again to give details of a Spanish bank account to pay into at which point we are told the transfer was made on 10 January, that the process takes 3-5 days and that the money will be in our account by Monday 17 January.

We call the bank on Friday 21 January to say that the money has not arrived. They say it appears to be in process. We request confirmation in writing.

2 February
We ring to request written confirmation again but this is not provided. The bank says they need to 'check the status'. They ask us to ring back tomorrow, 3rd of February.

I realise this may seem quite unbelievable but unfortunately it is true!

I would be grateful for any advice or suggestions as to who I might contact, other than Banesto who are ignoring us and Santander /Telebanco 4b, who, though connected to Banesto, cannot help.

Thank you for reading the epic story!

Like 0      
09 Feb 2011 8:08 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Clients Ombudsman of the Bank?

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
14 Feb 2011 2:54 PM by rosieandbill Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Hi Maria

Thank you for your suggestion.  I have sent details to the Ombudsman but have had no reply.  I still have had no reply from Banesto.  I have reported my story to the Olive Press who published it on their front page, and today I emailed 50 Banesto branches to request help.

I can't believe how badly we are being treated.  I lived and worked in Spain for 5 years and never ever came across anything like this.

Like 0      
19 Mar 2011 1:01 PM by Island Babe Star rating in Ireland. 17 posts Send private message

Did you do a denuncia or make an official complaint, Hoya de Reclamaciones.  Nothing happens in Spain unless you do.  I suggest you go to the bank in question and ask for the complaint book, Hoy de Reclamaciones ( or spelt similar) and write your complaint in it.  Be aware if they refuse to give it to you, you can call the police and they will inforce it.  I can assure you it really works, you are foreign and not suppose to know about it.  It worked for me with Santander, the women nearly fell off her chair, it was great!  I got my 300 euros back in a week.

The book is regularly checked by the local council and they can get huge fines for not giving it to you and for having too many.  The Spanish dont complain enough either so the government wants you to do it.

Go for it, its fun!

Like 0      
21 Mar 2011 10:14 AM by rosieandbill Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Dear Island Babe

Thank you for your reply.  We are still waiting for our money, although we have made a little progress in that Banesto have now responded and promised to investigate.

Unfortunately, and I realise I should have made this clear, because we are in the UK it would cost more to return to Spain and make a denuncia than the amount of money which is owed to us.

I am quite determined however, NOT to give up!

Rosie Marrs

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

WHO WANTS TO LIVE IN AMERICA :-) - 2 posts
Funerals in Spain - 12 posts
Wanted "Weight training equipment" - 0 posts
Taking new ps3 from uk - 4 posts
Entered on Official Boletin - what happens next? - 0 posts
"L" Shape Lounger (Settee) - 2 posts
drains - 4 posts
House in Cartama, Coin Alhaurin area - 0 posts
Non-resident cert processing? Help - 2 posts
Certificate of Registration of the EU - 17 posts
Residencia renewals - 9 posts
"Corvera Airport" any news?? - 3 posts
management agency problem help please - 8 posts
car hire - 14 posts
NIE MADE EASY - 7 posts
And they claim men can't multitask! ;-) - 3 posts
Bratley & Sharp Associates - Spanish litigation experts? - 14 posts
Looking for short/long term rental costa del sol from May 2011 - 12 posts
Handing back your property - 13 posts
Unprofessional Property Rental Agents – A Generalisation - 8 posts
Murcia Bank - 2 posts
Long Term Rental Mijas Costa - 3 posts
can we get english channels via sky or freeview for one off fee and no monthly fees?? - 3 posts
euibor - 5 posts
texting from spain to uk - 5 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x