Building and contents insurance

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
14 May 2007 12:00 AM by formentera costa Star rating. 368 posts Send private message

hi, can anyone advise, we have just completed on our spanish property after lots of setbacks, we took out insurance for contents and building cover, we have spoke to various people and have been informed as it is an apartment we do not require building cover only contents as the builder is supposed to cover the building for the first year and after this you are covered by you community charges, IS THIS CORRECT.all replies appreciated.

coolyes

Like 0      
14 May 2007 4:42 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

Hi Formenteracosta,

Your builidng insurance will be covered by the builder and then your community fees thereafter,as you cannot have individual building contents on a block.

You can take out contents only insurance only and there are many companies to choose from ,go online to compare quotes.

Hope this helps

GEORGIA

Like 0      
15 May 2007 10:38 AM by milli Star rating in Cheshire/ Formentera.... 65 posts Send private message

My building insurance is in with my mortgage for our appartment. Have never been told that my community charge will include it or that the builder covers it for a year.
What happens if people don't pay their community charges?

Like 0      
15 May 2007 12:13 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
** This thread has been moved to this category ***

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
15 May 2007 1:02 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Hi Milli

this is confusing as there are 2 threads running here!

One called "contents & building insurance"

The other called "building & contents insurance"

I will ask Justin to merge them, that will make more sense!

Anyway, I think that if you don't pay your community fees, then you should technically, NOT be covered for the buildings insurance.

People who do not pay their community fees, cannot vote at the AGM's and in the extreme, can have their properties seized and sold! So I imagine they must forgo all the other benefits associated with paying your community fee.

Unless, of course, anyone else knows better!!!

I bet someone does!!!

Kind regards,

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
15 May 2007 2:12 PM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

I have asked Justin to merge this thread which is Content and buildings insurance
started by Buz

with

Building and contents insurance
started by formentera costa

as, as Fibby says, it's getting confusing.

Like 0      
15 May 2007 2:22 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Thanks for asking Justin to merge these threads JeanSis,

I was about to do that as I said in my post, but got beaten to it!

It will make more sense!

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
21 Aug 2008 5:30 PM by Bruce Jackson Star rating. 16 posts Send private message

Hi all,

I have damp in one of my bedrooms caused by the sprinkler system from adjacent property. Land is one metre higher so water trickles down eventually getting into bedroom wall. KeyMare who developed the Complex have shown little interest in resolving their inept design flaw.
Should one claim via service charges, that is the managing agents or via home contents insurance.
Many thanks in advance.

Bruce

Like 0      
22 Aug 2008 9:43 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar
You may find this of interest:  http://www.eyeonspain.com/spain-magazine/building-defects.aspx

Best,

Maria

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
22 Aug 2008 11:12 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Hi Maria

Hope you're well & fighting fit today. 

The link you posted >>> http://www.eyeonspain.com/spain-magazine/building-defects.aspx

becomes a direct link,   http://www.eyeonspain.com/spain-magazine/building-defects.aspx (rather than one others need to put into their browser address box )only after you click the space bar, Maria. 

(Hope you don't mind me saying as some recently have told me I'm "overbearing & aggressive" with my advice. Oh well, can't please everyone all the time though, God knows, I try hard enough

This message was last edited by morerosado on 8/22/2008.

Like 0      
23 Sep 2008 1:17 PM by sichez Star rating. 28 posts Send private message

I thought i'd recommend this company.

www.easycover.net

we'd been with our mortgage company's insurance people (Zurich) since Day 1 but we always thought it rather costly.

After a bit of shopping round, our premium has gone from 292€ with Zurich to 108€ with easycover.

There's no excess, but they don't have accidental cover (that's the only snag)

Any recommendations for others?

Like 0      
04 Feb 2009 1:39 PM by sunnyside Star rating in UK/Duquesa. 95 posts Send private message

sunnyside´s avatar
Has anyone had any dealing with Intasure.  We have had a very competitive quote from them in sterling for Buildings and Contents including accidental damage. Thanks

Like 0      
04 Feb 2009 1:51 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Hi Sunnyside, we have ONLY had dealings with Intasure in so much as we asked them for a quote & they insisted on taking our ex directory phone number 'for the sole purpose of them being in contact IF necessary'.

We then had call after call at all hours asking us IF we had decided. Eventually we told them we had decided to use another company & the woman said something like 'oh, I expect it's a SPANISH one, I guess !' but in such a manner, I tell you.

Our friends who live permanently on our urb in Spain were with Intasure till they realised the three we had told them about were so much cheaper. Have you had quotes from these ?

We have used  http://www.saltsbay.com/ & http://www.easycover.net/  both very reasonable.

Currently we're using http://www.knight-insurance.com/ as it's handier for us.

Like 0      
04 Feb 2009 2:04 PM by sunnyside Star rating in UK/Duquesa. 95 posts Send private message

sunnyside´s avatar

Thanks for the info. I agree, in so much as we asked for a quote and they have sent it out about 3 times. and have phoned me as well.  I suppose in this economic climate everyone is looking for business!

I will try some of the suggestions you made.

Like 0      
04 Feb 2009 2:15 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Sunnyside, Easycover seem to have dealings with the CDS see http://www.easycover.net/contact.htm & put dot in the CDS one.

Knights are everywhere, their head office is Fuengirola.

Saltsbay are local to the area we have property in. However we noticed that Knight's gave us insurance by the same company that Saltsbay had done.

Like 0      
11 Feb 2009 10:39 AM by Schofields Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

If your Spanish home is part of a complex or apartment block your condominium fees may include community buildings insurance. Each policy differs but often this cover is limited to communal areas such as walkways and swimming pools. You may find that this does not cover your individual apartment, including ‘fixed items’ such as fitted bathrooms and kitchens.

To avoid being underinsured, you should check what the community policy actually covers before you decide you do not need buildings insurance. If necessary, insure your individual property.

Like 0      
21 Jul 2009 9:53 PM by plexx Star rating in Hertfordshire & Elvi.... 131 posts Send private message

plexx´s avatar

I am currently with Intasure and the level of cover is very high. My renewal is up soon and I have had quotes from all the brokers mentioned below. The premiums are cheaper, but the cover is lower. One thing that surprises me is that I am told the 'standard' public liability level is 150k in Spain and that most companies will not insure higher than 300k. I am sure that if the very worst happened, 300k would not suffice. The level of public liabilty with Intasure is £5 million. I think you pay for what you get but I should be interested in people's view on what public liability cover they think is necessary and why. My renewal is in 3 days!!

Like 0      
21 Jul 2009 11:25 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

This message was last edited by morerosado on 21/07/2009.

Like 0      
24 Jul 2009 6:15 PM by Schofields Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

“The premiums are cheaper, but the cover is lower. I think you pay for what you get”

You summed it up. Insurance is expensive until a claim arises, then you will discover how good a policy is. If a cheaper policy offers less cover, then the insured takes the risk that an event may not be covered. That’s why it is essential to understand any terms of a policy to see what’s covered, any restrictions etc. Don’t just buy on price.

Although some Spanish policies traditionally offer low liability levels, each policy will differ and the insurer may offer the option to increase the level for an extra premium.

With experience, liability claims are not as frequent as say theft and bursts, but if you are liable for injury to a third party, things become very costly. £2m sum insured would be a minimum recommended.

There are also other considerations. Does the public liability extend to cover paying guests, use of swimming pools?

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

good rental agents/ key holders etc Estepona - 1 posts
Out 1st December. R U ? - 0 posts
Alta Entinas - 5 posts
Venta Garcia - Casares Costa, CDS - 8 posts
sad news - 4 posts
new to this forum - 6 posts
new to this forum - 0 posts
My new baby - 10 posts
Reliable rental agents/key holders in Playa Flamenca - 6 posts
Furnishing a property at El Soto - 1 posts
Ford Mondeo for sale - 1 posts
How do I advertise selling uk car - 3 posts
NEW Murcia Airport - 95 posts
Car rental - 62 posts
Dont Panic - 69 posts
Paths on our complex - 1 posts
Missing Posting - Janice (Jeansis) - 3 posts
Maddie - 2 posts
aguas nuevas altos del sol - 1 posts
Bristol to Paris with Air France just launched from 11th June. - 0 posts
UK Estate Agents! - 8 posts
jet ski for sale. - 1 posts
How to buy property in Spain - 2 posts
Any Electricians (or Electricistas) On The Forum? - 11 posts
snagging - 8 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 19

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x