Almost ready to move to Spain (trial run)

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
17 Jan 2011 12:00 AM by sol sand surf Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Hello to all, great site, I've been reading loads of threads with interest since finding it.

My wife, six year old boy and I have been talking about/ thinking about moving to the Costa Del Sol, maybe Nerja for some years now. We plan to rent a flat or villa for a six -eleven month trial but we have got a ton of questions we'd like to put to people in the know.

I notice that questions dont go unanswered very long on E O S so will try a couple of Qs soon.

Our main reasons for wanting to move are a more child friendly enviroment, life near the coast, more sunshine per year, learning new language etc,

Our questions will revolve around health insurance, schools and property rental.

Thanks and hope to speak soon.

Ian.

Like 0      
17 Jan 2011 10:46 PM by oliverson Star rating. 71 posts Send private message

I take it you have some means of supporting yourself when you get there and I don't mean 'working in a bar'?

Not wanting to sound negative but your post sounds five years out of date to me and the product of the 'A place in the sun' generation.

The truth is that there's large scale unemployment in Spain so if you plan on jumping on the plane for a life in the sunshine with little regard for how you're going to sustain it, you might like to think again. 

Also, if you're planning on living off your savings you might want to check out the exchange rates.  

Either way, just a heads up.

Like 0      
17 Jan 2011 10:58 PM by sol sand surf Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

We'll forget it then.

Like 0      
17 Jan 2011 11:34 PM by fultond Star rating in Haywards Heath & Tor.... 242 posts Send private message

Sol sand surf, you sound like my teenage daughter! I don't live there, although we have bought a property there. We are on the other side of Malaga, near Benalmadena. It is a fantastic place to be and if you have a means of supporting yourself I would recommend moving there. However Oliverson was offering some valid advice if you don't. I just wish I had some valid skills that I could take there to earn a living. Good luck if you do.

Like 0      
18 Jan 2011 12:03 AM by oliverson Star rating. 71 posts Send private message

Thanks for that Fultond.  Some people like to live in a fantasy dream world with little though on practicality.  Shame when  you add the responsibility of children to the mix as well.

btw, I noticed your profile - Torrequebrada and Haywards Heath - very interesting.  How spooky is that.  I'm also Torrequebrada (north - Arenal Golf phase 1) and lived in Staplefield/Slaugham for the last 3 years doing the Haywards Heath -> London Bridge -> Canary Wharf commute.  Why can't those investment banks locate themselves somewhere closer?.  

Anyhow, both great parts of the world - real England.  In fact I'm still a member of Mannings Heath Golf Club.  Back in Yorkshire now for a spell but back down there by summer hopefully.   As you know, we are very well serviced by Gatwick.

This message was last edited by oliverson on 18/01/2011.

Like 0      
18 Jan 2011 1:07 AM by fultond Star rating in Haywards Heath & Tor.... 242 posts Send private message

Very spooky Oliverson......

I know people living on Phase 1; we are down in Finca Dona Maria, just cut down through the latter phases. Hit a few balls on the Torrequebrada driving range during my last visit.  Also my employer moves from Moorgate to Canary Wharf next year. And I am actually a Leeds boy, emigrated to the South.

We're practically related!

Like 0      
18 Jan 2011 10:58 AM by sol sand surf Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Hi again, not realy the start I wanted to get off to but anyway,

I took it that poor employment / economy was a given these days and we would not be looking for employment in Spain, my first response however was just my dry S O H and not a childish strop and I am not ungreatful for any advice offered, but I do think it's a shame that you would think of giving a child a year or so living and going to school in the south of Spain as irresponsible.

We have heard that there is a good selection of state schools in Nerja and although it is on the Costa Del Sol it is away from the madness of Marbella etc.

My introduction was only short so may have sounded dreamy but isnt that how to stay excited about life?

Ian.

Like 0      
18 Jan 2011 12:09 PM by joanmalaga Star rating in Costa del Sol. 419 posts Send private message

sol and surf, Nerja is a wonderful village, i know many people there who have moved over with children and its the best thing they have ever done, its definetly not Marbella and is a lot more family orientated.

The job situation here is very difficult so i would advise to make sure you have enough money to start if you have not already found a job there, Nerja is really based on tourism and there are few businesess that are not bars, restaurants or real estate. Make sure you can go back to the UK if things fail.

You may be lucky and i wish you all the best.

Price of property in Nerja is normally really good and you can live in the centre for not a lot.

As far as im aware all of the schools there are Spanish but i guess if you are moving over for the long term that is what you would like.

Some of the best reviewed schools seem to be:

C.P. Maestro J. Herrera & C.P. San Miguel

As for health insurance, if you are only looking at a year for now you will be covered with your Eurpoean Medical card, you can also take out private insurance for about 50€ a month per person with companies like Sanitas, Adeslas, Medifiatc ... etc

Loads of properties for rent long or short term here:

http://casas.trovit.es/index.php/cod.search_homes/type.2/what_d.nerja/orderby.price/city.m%C3%A1laga/#filters/price.100-600/rooms.2-3/

Hope it helps.

Joan

Like 0      
18 Jan 2011 7:27 PM by amep75 Star rating. 79 posts Send private message

dont worry about the kids ihave done exactly what you plan my kids were 10 and 13 they were fluent in a few months.

I learnt spanish myself in 6 months on my own real essy so dont forget to go for it yourself you will get so much more out of spsin whern you do.

There is also some work about teaching english as they all want to learn english here!

Best of good luck

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

3 Seater Sofa Bed for Sale - 0 posts
Mountain bike, barbecue, etc for sale - 3 posts
Gas Fire For Sale - 0 posts
Office Furniture For sale - 0 posts
Writing for Stage & Screen - 0 posts
IBADROLA NIGHT AND DAY UNITS - 6 posts
Computing business for sale - 0 posts
Lawyer in Costa Blanca South - 5 posts
LOOKING FOR ´SWAP´´ MY PLACE IN TENERIFE FOR CATALONIA JUN-AUG 2011 - 0 posts
Car-buy in UK or Spain - 3 posts
6 Month let required.. From June 2011 - 6 posts
rental prices - 3 posts
Rescue dog centres close to Playa Flamenca - 2 posts
Sambuca Thai on Sabinillas Paseo, Manilva area - 3 posts
AIDS - 0 posts
Are you having problems getting a mortgage? - 4 posts
Are People Willfully Blind? - 3 posts
Spouse of EU Citizen - Do I need marriage cert issued in EU country? - 6 posts
Is this for real - 1 posts
For Sale Ford Puma (English) - 2 posts
info on spain - 0 posts
A Good Spanish Justice Story! - 3 posts
Sol Villas rental co - 4 posts
Operacion Malaya part 1 on TVE1 tonight 22:15 - 0 posts
Endesa change of maximum consumption level - 16 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x