Are People Willfully Blind?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
15 Jan 2011 12:00 AM by Rob in Madrid Star rating in Madrid. 274 posts Send private message

Rob in Madrid´s avatar

Please note this is not an anti Spain thread, just buy a anti buying a house thread

Why in God's name would any be stupid enough to buy a place in Spain after reading horror stories posted here and elsewhere. Are people willfully blind, it is the only reason I can think that anyone would be stupid enough to buy a property in Spain, particularly when you can rent for far less money and ZERO risk to life and limb.

For example (yes not the coast but same idea) we are moving into a beautiful chalet in the north of Madrid, rent a grand a month or less than a third the cost of buying it. Not only that had we followed conventional wisdom and decided not to throw our money and buy (at a higher cost) we would have missed an opportunity to move to a far nice place. Still in spite of that several friends can't understand why we won't buy.

I can understand someone buying during the boom, we all make mistakes but buying a house in Spain now (particularly if you're paid in pounds) is utter foolishness and you have only yourself to blame if things go south.

BTW I can understand why no here wants to talk about this as forums like this make their money peddling real estate. 

Decided after all I don't like Spanish TV, that is having compared both.

Like 0      
15 Jan 2011 7:08 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

Just a little piece of economics for you that will maybe answer your question.

For Example; if you rent the home you are talking about for the next 10 years it will cost you 120,000 Euros.

At the end of that period you will have absolutely nothing to show but a few memories and a bank account minus a very large amount of money.

You can buy a 3 bed 2 bath Villa with a pool including all taxes and fees for exactly the same price........after 10 years you will have a property outright and i would imagine a small profit taking every other property cycle into account.

If you and the person whopurchased, both cash in after 10 years who would you guess to be the happier??

Maybe that answers the Thread title for you.....but with a different outcome than you predicted!

Like 0      
15 Jan 2011 8:15 PM by Rob in Madrid Star rating in Madrid. 274 posts Send private message

Rob in Madrid´s avatar
And the person who originally bought the property for 2-3 times that price, I'm sure they're really pleased with their purchase, and of course you're assuming that you're buying the at the bottom of the market. Don't forget interest cost taxes and upkeep that's all money down the drain as well. Innate a friend from SA who is mistified why we won't buy (more on that latter) but when you talk to him you find out he is struggling financially because his house has been a huge financial drain on him. If he ran the numbers, downpayment, upkeep taxes, interest paid and deduct the that from what he nets. Form the sale of the house you'll find he's deepen the red. Renting I would imagine would have been much cheaper. Everyone says renting is throwing away your money away but they covet about interest, taxes upkeep and if you bought in the last few years seriously negative equity. Personally if we had bought as per conventional wisdom we'd be stuck in a house that we over paid for with a 30 year mortgage And in negative equity Even worse we wouldn't have been able to move to a large villia like we're doing Yes generally owning is preferred to renting long term but to say you're throwing you're money away by renting is simply not true Btw what does the villa rent for short term long term

Like 0      
15 Jan 2011 8:33 PM by Rob in Madrid Star rating in Madrid. 274 posts Send private message

Rob in Madrid´s avatar
Pardon the lack of page beaks, did this on my iPad, does funny things sometimes. Also I'm referring to people who move to Spain to live not so much holiday home buyers

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Spouse of EU Citizen - Do I need marriage cert issued in EU country? - 6 posts
Is this for real - 1 posts
For Sale Ford Puma (English) - 2 posts
info on spain - 0 posts
A Good Spanish Justice Story! - 3 posts
Sol Villas rental co - 4 posts
Operacion Malaya part 1 on TVE1 tonight 22:15 - 0 posts
Endesa change of maximum consumption level - 16 posts
Mini bus hire - 5 posts
legal advice sought - 3 posts
UK car swap for Spanish - 0 posts
A speedy option - 0 posts
Easyjet Sale? - 3 posts
So That's Where He Went after leaving So Many in the Lurch! - 10 posts
Spanish Wills - 46 posts
ENDESA ELECTRICITY BILLS - 35 posts
Royal Vinedos del mar - 0 posts
Staircase - 0 posts
Translation of name - 2 posts
Error posting to a community forum - 3 posts
Fuente del Conde, Iznajar Cordoba - 3 posts
duty free in gibraltar !!! - 11 posts
thalassia spa san pedro - 5 posts
Social Security Doctor - 2 posts
New CLS threatening letter to complete on property - 5 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x