Spouse of EU Citizen - Do I need marriage cert issued in EU country?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
15 Jan 2011 12:00 AM by annabananna Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Quick question for all you helpful people :)

I am intending to move to Spain with my husband, who holds a British passport. We are both Australian. I only have an Australian passport.

In order for me to obtain my EU family member residence card, do I need to show a marriage cert issued in the UK, or will our Australian marriage cert (with an Apostille on it) be sufficient?

I found the following on the spainexpat website:

A document that establishes your family tie to the EU citizen. If the document is not in Spanish, it will need to be translated and/or have an apostille on it. In the case of a spouse, you’ll need to bring a marriage certificate issued from an EU country that is less than three months old. If you were married more than three months ago, you’ll have to request a new certificate for this purpose. 

This suggests that I need an EU issued marriage cert, but I am unsure if this info is current. I'm a bit confused.

Hope you can help, thanks in advance.

Like 0      
15 Jan 2011 7:41 AM by mr.kevin Star rating in Costa Blanca. 189 posts Send private message

mr.kevin´s avatar

What is a EU family residence card?

Spain no longer gives residence cards to non-Spanish residents, EU residents have to register for a residents certificate that gives you nothing, lots of people here have not bothered to register even though you are legaly abliged to do so.

As a Australian, you wil most likely need a visa of some sort to come to Spain. A friend of mine who is English, has a Thai girlfriend, he has had problems in the past getting just a visitors visa to come to Spain.

EU citizens have no problems and can come and go as they please, for non-EU it is different especially if you plan to come in via a air or sea port. Spain has lots of illegals that just drive in though

Think you need to do a lot of home work before you can come to Spain

Sorry to be negative.

Kev

Like 0      
15 Jan 2011 8:38 AM by LuisLopezCortijo Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Your Australian marriage cert (with an Apostille on it) is sufficient

Like 0      
15 Jan 2011 8:39 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Your Australian marriage cert (with an Apostille on it) is sufficient

( I used by mistake my husband new site at EOS) 

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
15 Jan 2011 2:14 PM by amep75 Star rating. 79 posts Send private message

i am not sure as i lost my book but if you have uk marriage certificate i assume your spouse is british if so you should get a british passport which makes you an EU citizen so no probs

good luck

Like 0      
02 Jul 2011 11:52 PM by lavge Star rating in Granada. 19 posts Send private message

What was said above sounds about right. It's what we had to do. I'm Danish and my husband Moroccan. We were lucky though that the Danish embassy accepted our wedding certificate from the UK scanned on an email and just send me the letter.

You'll definately need everything translated into Spanish.

I don't now what you do if you can't get the letter from the UK anymore.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Is this for real - 1 posts
For Sale Ford Puma (English) - 2 posts
info on spain - 0 posts
A Good Spanish Justice Story! - 3 posts
Sol Villas rental co - 4 posts
Operacion Malaya part 1 on TVE1 tonight 22:15 - 0 posts
Endesa change of maximum consumption level - 16 posts
Mini bus hire - 5 posts
legal advice sought - 3 posts
UK car swap for Spanish - 0 posts
A speedy option - 0 posts
Easyjet Sale? - 3 posts
So That's Where He Went after leaving So Many in the Lurch! - 10 posts
Spanish Wills - 46 posts
ENDESA ELECTRICITY BILLS - 35 posts
Royal Vinedos del mar - 0 posts
Staircase - 0 posts
Translation of name - 2 posts
Error posting to a community forum - 3 posts
Fuente del Conde, Iznajar Cordoba - 3 posts
duty free in gibraltar !!! - 11 posts
thalassia spa san pedro - 5 posts
Social Security Doctor - 2 posts
New CLS threatening letter to complete on property - 5 posts
6/7 seater car wanted. - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x