Dont Panic

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
14 May 2007 11:50 AM by lizh Star rating in Estepona/London. 161 posts Send private message

There was an article in the Telegraph (I think) on Saturday (12/5) saying that a woman has been fined €20,000 for holiday letting her apartment when it wasn't licensed for tourism.

Apparently a community has to have a special tourism licence.  Justin this could be well worth a feature!

Like 0      
14 May 2007 12:13 PM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

This message was last edited by JeansSis on 5/19/2007.

Like 0      
14 May 2007 12:46 PM by leema Star rating in Washington Tyne & We.... 655 posts Send private message

I've just passed this article over to my lawyer in Spain and see if he can sort it out, will let you know the outcome, but don't hold your breath as he takes ages to reply.

Maureen & Dennis

Coto Real

Like 0      
14 May 2007 1:30 PM by ef Star rating in Oxfordshire / Casare.... 150 posts Send private message

JeansSis, thanks for info about your Urb, I love stories where the "power of the people" gets things done! Although it does sound as if it has been a hard slog for your site. When I have a bit more time, I might ask you a few more q's about Urbs, if you don't mind, but won't clog up this thread now. When I get a bit more time, I will also make further enquiries of our solicitor re the rental licences, if Maria doesn't reply to your "help" thread.

Norman - of course I'll still be completing, and looking forward to it, as I hope it will be by the end of this month.

Emma

Like 0      
14 May 2007 1:35 PM by lizh Star rating in Estepona/London. 161 posts Send private message

Thanks JeansSis. Sorry, I didn't scroll down far enough to see trigger!  I'll watch space with interest.

Like 0      
14 May 2007 5:28 PM by leema Star rating in Washington Tyne & We.... 655 posts Send private message

Just heard back from my lawyer, really impressed with his quick response, he said this only applies in Majorca.  does anyone do any different?????

Maureen & Dennis

Coto Real

Like 0      
14 May 2007 7:47 PM by ef Star rating in Oxfordshire / Casare.... 150 posts Send private message

See thread called "Property licensing and owner verification" in this section, I think Maria has answered the question there. I would still like more info, how easy is it to get a license, how strictly is it enforced, etc.

Like 0      
16 May 2007 7:49 AM by leema Star rating in Washington Tyne & We.... 655 posts Send private message

Have just had another reply from MRI, I asked them to double check the laws regarding renting out and this is what I got back.

I have just spoken to another lawyer, the top lawyer at the practise and she has advised me that she has never heard of this, not has anyone in MRI rentals. As far as we are concerned this is not an issue in Spain.

If I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards,

Johanna Mooney
Regional Co-Ordinator

MRI Overseas Property

Maureen & Dennis

Coto Real

Like 0      
16 May 2007 10:14 AM by rosi n Star rating in Cornwall / axarquia. 119 posts Send private message

Hi Leema.     What MRI are saying makes no sense , if you are renting  in Spain you should declare the income to the tax office they will tax this at 25% , ( less running costs i expect )  we have heard that the property must be registered with the Tourism Office,  you should also tell the tax office in your own country  as they would be interested in this income, we dont think the community needs a licence for this only the property that is rented,  many communities have lots of rentals  as in the towns most of the Spanish rent  , sometimes its a holiday apartment on a long let  or  residential  complex  , unless the community  rules state that you cannot rent I dont think there is any difference between  holiday complex / residential  unless planning  rules state this but have never heard   this , the Spanish people will rent where they can afford and they dont take much notice of rules anyway , years ago lots of people rented out even if only for a few months a year and it helped the running costs  and the Spanish tax system had many holes in it but now they are catching up fast with all these rentals on the web so they can collect more info very quickly.  so you see rental income is not so good these days , you have to pay Renta tax each year + 25% income tax in Spain + possible uk tax as well.    But of course you could rent and keep very quiet about it .  I dont trust the response from MRI regarding this .The only way find this out properly  is a Spanish tax adviser but I dont think my above anwsers are far from the truth.    Best of luck with this Rosi n

Like 0      
16 May 2007 11:15 AM by nfm2862 Star rating in Welling, Kent & Al A.... 1460 posts Send private message

nfm2862´s avatar

I think you will find that the response from MRI didn't in any way relate to possible income tax liabilities.

The original issue relates to the Telegraph article about the need to have a licence in order to rent out a property.

I am awaiting a response from both MRI & my solicitor on this issue. Once I have the responses, I will post on the forum.

www.alandaluscarhire.com

www.vera-apartment.com

www.verathalassa.es 

Like 0      
16 May 2007 11:46 AM by lizh Star rating in Estepona/London. 161 posts Send private message

If anyone is asking expert advice, I think it's worth asking if there is a difference between a short-term (holiday) let licence and one for long term rentals. I read the Telegraph article as saying it was a tourism licence that was needed rather than a residential one.

Like 0      
16 May 2007 7:33 PM by hudsey Star rating in Hexham, Northumberla.... 120 posts Send private message

hudsey´s avatar
I too have contacted my solicitor and she will get me to me once she has found out.

Like 0      
21 May 2007 10:49 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
I have spent a bit of time looking into this and it seems that the law referred to in the Telegraph article is actually only relevant to Mallorca and some other Balearic islands.  It does not apply to mainland Spain, although I believe Barcelona has a similar law to Mallorca.

Therefore for most of us there is no need to worry. 

The only thing you do have to worry about is paying your taxes.  You MUST declare your rental income to the Spanish authorities and pay tax on those earnings, and if you are resident in the UK you are also supposed to declare it to the tax man back home.  A double taxation whammy.

Anyway, hope that puts some minds to rest.

Justin

This message was last edited by EOS Team on 5/21/2007.

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
22 May 2007 9:59 AM by leema Star rating in Washington Tyne & We.... 655 posts Send private message

Thanks Justin, that confirms what my Lawyer said.  I can stop worrying now.

Maureen & Dennis

Coto Real

Like 0      
22 May 2007 10:12 AM by MFRW Star rating. 16 posts Send private message

Hi Justin,

The rental position seems to be getting a little fraught.

Can I throw another angle gleaned from a variety of sources by largely from
some very experineced planning lawyer colleagues:

Presently, this seems to be a more acute problem in parts of the Costa Blanca and the Balaerics than the Costa del Sol - and seems to depend upon the local officials more or less vigorous application of the rules.

It seems that there is a real possibility of you needing to obtain from the Spanish Ministry of Tourism a licence to run your property rental as a commercial operation. Failure to obtain such a licence has resulted in owners being fined.

Whilst the “private” rental of your property has always been permitted it seems that rental activities may fall foul of the Ministry's increasingly strict criteria where you have placed your property with a commercial letting agent. As this changes the nature of your rental from a private arrangement to a commercial activity – which would usually require a licence and some local fiscal administration. This form of rental activity is seen as competing with the Ministry's already licensed Tourism operations that are have been built, regulated and are operated under the limits of, amongst other things, the local area’s General Plan (PGOU).

We are seeking assurances on this matter from our Abogado colleagues and hope to be able to present a package to the market whereby licences can be obtained to protect the legitimate interests of landlords and their tenants.

Regards,

Mark
The Rights Group

Like 0      
22 May 2007 10:22 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
HI Mark

Thanks for your input, it's always appreciated.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
22 May 2007 4:08 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar
In Andalucia, the letting of houses just for accomodation ( non including catering) are considered " Viviendas turisticas vacacionales" ( Vacational/Holidays Touristic Houses) and are still not regulated by Administrative Regulations ( reglamento). There is just  a mention to their characteristics  in provision 43 of the Andalusian Tourism  General Act  (1999) and a prevision to be more specifically regulated in the future. Not yet

The characterisistics  of these accomodations are as follows:

1.- Offer accomodation, no catering.
2.- Are rented  ocassionally once or more times a year.
3.- Are an entire house or apartments, not bedrooms.

Hope this clarifies.

Maria

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
22 May 2007 5:16 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
Maria, as always, thank you for your valued input too.

Justin

Like 0      
22 May 2007 6:36 PM by MFRW Star rating. 16 posts Send private message

Thanks Maria.

Would you not agree that the aim of many of our owner clients is to rent their property either on a long term basis - as opposed to a vacational rental - or to have numerous week and two week rentals throughout the year. Their rentals are therefore not "occassional". 

Is it possible that the client's ambitions - particularly where they place their property with a rental agency for the purpose - moves their rental activity from a more simple rental of a  "Viviendas turisticas vacacionales" to a more commerical form of rental activity? Does the latter - a commercial activity - fall within the ambit of the Administrative Regulation? If so, would it necessitate a licence, as discussed?

You will appreciate that we do need to assist our clients to resolve this issue as it poses a potential handicap to their rental activity.

Regards,

Mark -The Rights Group.

Like 0      
23 May 2007 10:20 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar
I have been checking that with an officer of the Delegation of the Tourism Department of JUnta de Andalucia in Campo de Gibraltar today. He is  sending to me full info in short days. I will post it here.

Best,

M.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Paths on our complex - 1 posts
Missing Posting - Janice (Jeansis) - 3 posts
Maddie - 2 posts
aguas nuevas altos del sol - 1 posts
Bristol to Paris with Air France just launched from 11th June. - 0 posts
UK Estate Agents! - 8 posts
jet ski for sale. - 1 posts
How to buy property in Spain - 2 posts
Any Electricians (or Electricistas) On The Forum? - 11 posts
snagging - 8 posts
Transporting Pets to Spain - 14 posts
Licences - 6 posts
Crazy or wot ?? - 2 posts
Miraflores contact? - 0 posts
Where can I keep a jet ski? - 13 posts
parador properties entregolf area - 3 posts
LONG TERM RENTAL ELVIRIA DISTRICT - 0 posts
Aldea Beach Manilva - 1 posts
Macro - 9 posts
Madeleine McCann, aged 3, abducted in Portugal - 136 posts
Take advantage of my ads - 3 posts
Is it as bad as we are all lead to beleive!!? - 50 posts
Patio door security gates & window grille for sale - Costa Blanca - 9 posts
Long term rental - 5 posts
Breakdown cover AA,? Green Flag ? or a good Spainish one...... - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 70

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x