Advice Required In Regards To Moving To Alicante Next Year

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
05 Dec 2010 12:00 AM by ramchip Star rating. 20 posts Send private message

After years of nagging my wife I have at last persuaded her to give Spain a try for at least 6 months. I’m in a lucky position as I earn my money from working online so I will not have to worry about finding a job in Spain.  We intend to move to Spain at the end of next summer.

I have been reading this excellent forum for some time so I thought it would be a great idea to seek a little advice.

We will be looking for a furnished property in Alicante, within walking distance to the beach with shops nearby. We would prefer a 2 or 3 bedroom villa. What sort of rent would we expect to pay for this type of property for a 6 to 12 month period?

In the UK we have, electric, gas, council tax, water rates plus other monthly expenditure. What would be the average of cost of these services in Spain?

Sorry for the basic questions but I have to start somewhere.

Like 0      
05 Dec 2010 5:53 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Great idea to rent out and see how you like the area.

After years of nagging my wife I have at last persuaded her to give Spain a try for at least 6 months. I’m in a lucky position as I earn my money from working online so I will not have to worry about finding a job in Spain.  We intend to move to Spain at the end of next summer.

I have been reading this excellent forum for some time so I thought it would be a great idea to seek a little advice.

We will be looking for a furnished property in Alicante, within walking distance to the beach with shops nearby. We would prefer a 2 or 3 bedroom villa. What sort of rent would we expect to pay for this type of property for a 6 to 12 month period?
There is a great deal of property for rent in the area.  Asking how much depends entirely on what you are looking for but, remember, the closer to the beach you get, the more expensive it becomes.  An apartment just outside Alicante can be got for around 200 euros a month.  A 3 bed villa nearer the beach could cost around 7 to 800 euros a month with all ranges in between.  I would say, for a medium term rent after the summer, you should be looking at around 500 euros a month (some villas near the beach can go for that per week in the summer months

In the UK we have, electric, gas, council tax, water rates plus other monthly expenditure. What would be the average of cost of these services in Spain?
You will probably have facilities as an extra.  Electric is around the same cost as UK but you won't use as much of it.  Gas in that area is by bottle only.  Water is around a third of the cost of UK.  Council tax can be discounted as it is only around 140 euros a year (depending on type of property) and community charges should be paid by the owner and range for around 200 to 800 a year depending on facilities, which pays for street lighting, gardening, pool maintenance, lifts if any and that type of thing.  My total taxes, community charges, waste disposal, water etc comes to under 1000 euros a year (1500 quid in UK for council tax alone).
Sorry for the basic questions but I have to start somewhere.

Like 0      
05 Dec 2010 6:38 PM by ramchip Star rating. 20 posts Send private message

Thanks for the reply Bobaol. So for around 700 to 800 Euros a month I can rent a decent quality 3 bedroom Villa?

Could you advise me on an agency to contact or websites that list Villas for rent in the Alicante areas please.

Thanks again for your help.

Like 0      
05 Dec 2010 6:40 PM by ramchip Star rating. 20 posts Send private message

Also one very important question I forgot to ask is that I would require a stable internet connection for my work. What options would I have?

Like 0      
05 Dec 2010 7:00 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

You will find loads of rental sites on the internet..  I couldn't recommend one, though, as I haven't used any.  I'm sure there must be others on here who have done (???)

Internet in Spain is sometimes hit and miss but, as you have said you will be in Alicante itself, there shouldn't be a problem.  It's only when you get to the smaller towns that the speed varies when you are further away from the exchange.  You will see lots of local companies advertising this service but Telefonica (Spanish version of BT) who also operate under the name Movistar, are the most reliable although their customer service can leave a lot to be desired.  Saying that, they are getting better and have a dedicated English helpline. ( Beware of telefonicainenglish, though.  They are not Telefonica and simply arrange your line etc and stick a premium on top.)  

Like 0      
06 Dec 2010 4:57 PM by johnf55 Star rating. 14 posts Send private message

We've had an internet connection with Telefonica for three years now and not had any problems. I think you pay more but the reliability has been good for us. The main difficulty seems to be getting organised in the first place. 

Like 0      
06 Dec 2010 6:41 PM by fpegman Star rating in San Miguel De Salina.... 441 posts Send private message

fpegman´s avatar

Hi Ramchip

email me with your exact requirements and I will see what I can find you

fred@sanquist.com

Fred

Overseas Property Company

fred@overseaspropertycompany.com

Real Estate sales - rentals and Lloyds insurance agency.

Like 0      
14 Dec 2010 6:53 PM by ramchip Star rating. 20 posts Send private message

We are still looking for a 3 bedroom villa. We are willing to consider any area of Spain as long as the Villa is close to the beach and shops etc. We are looking to pay around 500 to 800 Euros a month plus monthly bills. We would prefer a rental period of 1 year but would consider anything from 6 months. 

For the last 5 years I have worked as an online marketer and have built up a successful online business so in effect I can work anywhere in the world as long as I have an internet connection,

Long term we intend to buy a property  in Spain but are taking the safe option of renting first to find the ideal property in the ideal location.

Like 0      
15 Dec 2010 10:52 AM by claire T Star rating in Torremendo, Orihuela. 688 posts Send private message

EOS Supporter

Hi Ramchip - southern Costa Blanca would offer you lots of choice in both rentals and later on purchase.  We have a great microclimate around Torrevieja and Orihuela Costa and some stunning beaches.

My agency don't do rentals but there are lots of rental companies around.  Personally I find Platinum Villas to be honest and reliable - www.platinumvillarentals.com - they handled my property here before I moved out full-time.

Good luck with your search!

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Spanish air traffic control strike - 5 posts
Prepaid Cards - 13 posts
Sales in Spain - 1 posts
How do I get the best out of my orange tree? - 11 posts
House damage from the rain, help! - 1 posts
Sky Digibox Pace DV3 - 0 posts
How do I fill out the 'Declaracion de Residencia Fiscal' form? - 1 posts
Christmas Fair and Party - 4 posts
Hacienda Marina, Benalmadina, developed by AIFOS - 0 posts
Wall heaters - 27 posts
Zaragoza - 2 posts
Very Long Holiday Weekend - Shops Shut? - 8 posts
Why Banks do not react? - 5 posts
Spanish ATC Strike - 1 posts
Need to get to Bank in Benidorm - 1 posts
Orphanages in Malaga - 1 posts
Life's like that.. - 2 posts
smoking ban - 250 posts
Halifax/Lloyds takeover - 25 posts
HELP FIND NATACHA - Disappeared in Marbella 1st Dec 7PM - 4 posts
Strike Action Over Xmas - 1 posts
Two years in Spain! - 4 posts
Qatar to host the 2022 World Cup - 7 posts
Russia to host 2018 World Cup - 2 posts
Expensive UK - 17 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x