multiple sclerosis in spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
09 Sep 2010 12:00 AM by k111222 Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

hi

my name is kevin i am 56 years old living in southampton england, this is my first posting on this site. my wife and i are gearing ourselves up to move to spain in the next 3 years. it might seem a bit premature to be asking questions this early but i am trying to gather as much info from people who have or know of anyone with multiple sclerosis who are living or lived in spain with MS.

my wife is 51 years old and has had MS for 10 years, it is stable, she is not in a wheelchair and can walk a small distance using me as her aid. can anyone advise me on what  health care is available by way of UK paid contributions, spanish social security and private insurance. also if you know of anyone what was there quality of life living there.

if theres any information that could be shared with me i would be really grateful for any thing that would assist.

kevin

Like 0      
11 Sep 2010 3:48 PM by xetog Star rating in Wiltshire/holiday ap.... 514 posts Send private message

Kevin, welcome to the site.

As I understand the rules because neither of you are of retirement age you would not qualify for healthcare on the Spanish system. (I am assuming that you don't plan to work and pay into the system) The only option would be to have private medical insurance. This may be extremely expensive because of your wife's M.S. You really need to check this out very carefully before the move. There is lots of  general advice on this site about healthcare in Spain.

I'm sorry but I don't know anything about living with MS in Spain.

G

Like 0      
12 Sep 2010 12:11 PM by claire T Star rating in Torremendo, Orihuela. 689 posts Send private message

EOS Supporter

Hi Kevin - I agree with Xetog that you can't get cover unless you pay into the system, but you may be entitled to up to the first two years' healthcare from the UK, depending on your UK contribution record.  There is also the possibility of paying contributions into the spanish system, which is not cheap but may be less expensive than private health insurance.  This depends on the area as each area sets its own rules.

The spanish healthcare system is excellent but they do not provide the kind of aftercare or homecare which you could expect in the UK.  You could try some of the english speaking charities (HELP or Paul Cunningham Nurses in my area) who would be able to tell you in more detail what it is like to live here with a condition like MS.  There is also information on the British Embassy website about health and they can also advise about which benefits you would be able to claim when living abroad.

Do let us know how you get on!

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Re-homing Pets - 6 posts
Staff Vacancy due to expansion!! - 0 posts
La Caixa bank - my NIE number is wrong and I can't speak spanish.. help! - 6 posts
Americans in spain - 3 posts
Philips 32" Television with integral stand - 0 posts
6 month rental contract - 5 posts
La Manga Club - 0 posts
Villamartin area information - 2 posts
Enforcing a 10 year building guarentee ? - 17 posts
Mijas Pueblo Feria - 2 posts
Saab 93 Vector Sport - UK headlights for sale - 0 posts
2 Bikes For sale - 8 posts
No win no fee - 5 posts
wanting to rent in spain - 2 posts
INEM - 2 posts
Recommended car hire - 0 posts
Help need an english speaking lawyer in lorca area - 5 posts
Galesa water company - 0 posts
MURCIA TO MADRID AIRPORT - 4 posts
Trustworthy property management agent in Malaga for Cerrado del Aguila wanted - 0 posts
Car Hire Excess Insurance - 8 posts
Healthcare when retired. - 3 posts
Looking for a tv repair person/company - 2 posts
Recommended driving routes through France to Mojacar - 6 posts
Canucki has joined!! - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 3

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x