Car Hire Excess Insurance

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
06 Sep 2010 12:00 AM by Ambre Solaire Star rating. 36 posts Send private message

We are renting a car for a couple of months and are purchasing an Annual Excess Insurance Policy. Do we advise the hire company that we have this policy or do we keep quiet about it ?
I may be a bit suspicious, but have a thought if they know about this Policy that suddenly they may find a problem when we return the car to the airport car park.  We have been told to leave it there and they will collect it later

Any advice ?

Like 0      
06 Sep 2010 5:47 PM by carolandrichard Star rating in West Yorkshire and P.... 93 posts Send private message

You don't need to tell them you have an annual policy, its for your peace of mind not theirs. If they try to sell you their own just politely decline and say you don't need it. We've had an annual policy for a couple of years now, never had a problem, never had to claim, but certainly feel loads better having it.

Like 0      
06 Sep 2010 7:16 PM by Marysafc Star rating in Harrow and Peñiscola. 113 posts Send private message

I'm certainly glad that we have annual car hire excess insurance as our car apparently had a puncture when the hire car company checked it in at Reus airport in May. Solmar did not have a rep on site as they no longer use Reus so we had to drop the keys into Auriga crown. The first I knew of a problem was when I checked my credit card statement and saw a charge of €200. Apparently they take €200 then get the car fixed and refund you the difference. As it was my word against theirs there was not much we could do. Certainly did not notice a problem as we drove to the airport. After chasing them for approx a month we finally got the invoice from them for a new tire of €146 and then a bit more chasing to get the refund of the difference, as well as the refund for the fuel as it was a full/full. Insurance paid up no problem - definitely worth the piece of mind.

Lesson learnt photos of car before and after

Like 0      
08 Sep 2010 2:33 PM by Ambre Solaire Star rating. 36 posts Send private message

Default Re: Car Hire Excess Insurance ?

We have finally booked our car hire and have discovered that there is no
insurance excess to pay,( see below) which is great. But that leaves me wondering if tyres wheels keys etc are not covered, which policy do I need to ensure I am fully covered.

On reading through lots of sites, I can only see Car Hire Excess Insurance, which obviously only covers only the excess part.

Or am I being a bit dim ?

Our rates include comprehensive insurance on your hire car (including collision damage waiver, personal accident insurance and third party cover) and Public Liability Cover. (NB. Tyres/wheels, keys, the underneath of the car, traffic or parking fines and towing charges are excluded).

NO INSURANCE EXCESS IS PAYABLE

Would really appreciate advice

Like 0      
08 Sep 2010 5:52 PM by Marysafc Star rating in Harrow and Peñiscola. 113 posts Send private message

The car hire excess insurance usually covers the bits that your hire company doesn't ie tyres, windscreen, lost keys etc! Check out the policies that are available. Google "car hire excess insurance" and you will find lots of sites to choose from.

Like 0      
11 Sep 2010 2:00 PM by peteranne Star rating in York & Los Montesino.... 111 posts Send private message

peteranne´s avatar

Hi

We are looking to take out this type of insurance before we go to Spain next Saturday.

Can anyone recommend a company to go with as doing a google search brings up lots of companies, but that does not mean they are any good.

We always like to go with one that is recommended by someone

Many thanks

This message was last edited by peteranne on 11/09/2010.

Peter & Anne   -   www.los-montesinos-spain.co.uk

Like 0      
11 Sep 2010 2:29 PM by Marysafc Star rating in Harrow and Peñiscola. 113 posts Send private message

We used WorldWide Travel Insurance and even though we made a claim last year, they gave us 10% discount for renewal. To be honest I think that although there are different websites they mostly use the same companies. When I phoned up for the claim form it turned out to be AXA!

Just make sure you read the small print and keep all documents with you. I unfortunately left the original hire document in Spain and had the ask the hire company for a copy which the insurance company accepted. Biggest tip take lots of photos of the car before and after and when you get home keep checking your credit card statement for charges!

Like 0      
11 Sep 2010 4:32 PM by Ambre Solaire Star rating. 36 posts Send private message

Just bought a Policy with icarhireinsurance through quidco and got £13 cash back.

Like 0      
11 Sep 2010 7:07 PM by reidpj Star rating. 239 posts Send private message

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Healthcare when retired. - 3 posts
Looking for a tv repair person/company - 2 posts
Recommended driving routes through France to Mojacar - 6 posts
Canucki has joined!! - 1 posts
DOGS & BEACHES - 9 posts
Help please - Notice headed ´Cédula´received from local court. - 1 posts
LOW LOADER TRANSPORT REQ - 3 posts
Housesitting/Housekeeping/Pet sitting - 0 posts
Enjoying the food in Spain - 23 posts
i want to relist my property on EOS but.... - 4 posts
insulation and builders merchants? - 0 posts
Non Resident Tax Return - 43 posts
My town not shown on the list!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 6 posts
Is that about Bank´s liability a JOKE? - 3 posts
ZANUSSI SINGLE DOOR FRIDGE PURCHASED 1998 - 0 posts
Reputable car dealer near Vera / Mojacar - 5 posts
Valor Catastral & La Renta - 6 posts
OPEN SIGN UPS TO THE BOX - 5 posts
80% Mortgage possible ? - 11 posts
An Orihuela Townhall Scandal - 26 posts
ACCOMODATION IN FRANCE? - 7 posts
Arborculturalist advice wanted in the Gandia area - 0 posts
Spanish retirement pension - 24 posts
Car Hire - 3 posts
Golden Products Nutriance Aloe Vera Gel - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x