Re-homing Pets

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
09 Sep 2010 12:00 AM by kswann Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Hi

I am hoping someone will be able to offer some advice.  I am currently living back in the UK due to work commitments and have a tenant who is a friend living in my house in Spain and is also looking after my 3 cats.  My tenant has just informed me they are moving back to the UK in a month and I am not sure what my options are regarding my cats.

Can anybody let me know if there are any associations which will re-house cats or if anyone has any other ideas any suggestions would be a great help.

Thanks

Like 0      
09 Sep 2010 10:03 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

You haven't said where you live in Spain.

On the Costa Blanca there are lots of people abandoning their pets because they are returning home to the UK.  The pet charities are full and are finding it hard to find homes for the animals they have so are refusing to take any more pets in.

Depending on how long you are going to be in UK you might find someone who would be prepared to look after your cats on a pet sitting basis.  The only thing is some unscrupalous people are asking for help on a tempory basis but the foster family find that the owner disappears.  As many people have been taken advantage of they don't have room or the inclination to help anyone else.

Like 0      
10 Sep 2010 9:26 AM by kswann Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Sorry I did miss a bit of vital information out.  My home is approximately 15km south of Torrevieja not far from Cabo Roig.  I am hoping I can find someone to move into my property and continue to care for the cats but I do need other options if I am unable to do this.

Thanks

Like 0      
10 Sep 2010 9:51 AM by GuyT Star rating. 511 posts Send private message

We are in a similar situation. A delightful little dog appeared on our finca one day. We advertised and tried to find its owner with no luck. What does one do? Worse was to come, we found she was pregnant. We took her to the local vet but they refused to abort as she was too far gone. So we now have 5 puppies and it's driving us up the wall - no one is interested in having one - my wife has taken them to every market within 20km looking for people who might want a puppy, and we've had posters made with the puppies photos on which now adorn bars from Plasencia to Toledo. All to no avail. The nuclear option, short of drowning them, is to get them all pets passports, put the whole lot in the car, mother included, and take them to UK. But it's an expensive excercise.  I've called Battersea Dogs Home and they say they're happy to find homes.

Like 0      
10 Sep 2010 10:01 AM by kswann Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Things are not good in Spain at the moment and sounds like I am one of many who are probably struggling with their pets. Guy T you have been put in an awful situation and unfortunatley I can imagine that is hapenping all over.  We should be thankful for pet resue shelters in the UK and the work they do.

Like 0      
10 Sep 2010 10:02 AM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

It might help if you posted your request on a forum dedicated to Torrevieja which has a pets section.  Members there may be able to suggest someone who could help you out temporarily.

Also have a look at Round Town News South on-line, that has a pets section with contact details for the local charities.  These may be able to help.

Thing to consider is if you let a stranger into your home then you might have difficulty in evicting them if everything goes pear shaped.

Do the animals have pet passports?  Might be easier to get this sorted so that the option is there for them to be transported back to UK.  Does take about 7 months before they are clear to enter in UK without going into quarrantine.

Like 0      
10 Sep 2010 10:05 AM by kswann Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Thanks Semijubilada.  I will consider these option.  No unfortunately my pets do not have passports as I did not anticipate having to leave Spain at such short notice. Fingers crossed some good will come out of all this.

Thanks again

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Staff Vacancy due to expansion!! - 0 posts
La Caixa bank - my NIE number is wrong and I can't speak spanish.. help! - 6 posts
Americans in spain - 3 posts
Philips 32" Television with integral stand - 0 posts
6 month rental contract - 5 posts
La Manga Club - 0 posts
Villamartin area information - 2 posts
Enforcing a 10 year building guarentee ? - 17 posts
Mijas Pueblo Feria - 2 posts
Saab 93 Vector Sport - UK headlights for sale - 0 posts
2 Bikes For sale - 8 posts
No win no fee - 5 posts
wanting to rent in spain - 2 posts
INEM - 2 posts
Recommended car hire - 0 posts
Help need an english speaking lawyer in lorca area - 5 posts
Galesa water company - 0 posts
MURCIA TO MADRID AIRPORT - 4 posts
Trustworthy property management agent in Malaga for Cerrado del Aguila wanted - 0 posts
Car Hire Excess Insurance - 8 posts
Healthcare when retired. - 3 posts
Looking for a tv repair person/company - 2 posts
Recommended driving routes through France to Mojacar - 6 posts
Canucki has joined!! - 1 posts
DOGS & BEACHES - 9 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x