Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
21 Jul 2010 12:00 AM by Rondeau Star rating. 20 posts Send private message

Hi All,

A real gripe.

Is Spain going mad, spiralling to even further disaster and/ or signing its own death warrant?

We went to a "Summer Jam" to see a very good  live band at Palm Beach in Estepona, a great, cosmopolitan lively bar.

It started at 5.00. p.m. last Sunday and we were looking forward to many hours of music and fun. The day was going so well until it was announced that the "Live Music" had to finish at 9.30. p.m. with a D.J. continuing to entertain us.

Evidently the Police issued a directive that the "Live Music" had to finish at 9.30. p.m. The Bar stands relatively alone with Houses and Apartments some way away!

Now is this bureaucrocy gone mad or what?!

Is it the Police? the Government? the Town Hall? Whoever is responsible is mindless, short sighted and plainly idiotic.

The Country bemoans the lack of tourists, lack of spending and general lack of interest in Spain and, of course the Bar owners are also "Up In Arms".

Wake up Spain and cater for ther people and what they want instead of spoiling the life as was in Spain.

These issues hardly encourage tourism, do they!

Rondeau.

Like 0      
21 Jul 2010 2:14 PM by Mr Fish Star rating in Chester / LA. 39 posts Send private message

It's the same in Los Alcazares. There is now no live music including karaoke in any bar Bar in the main plaza. The police have stopped it all. Is this what I want from a holiday destination? No it is not! 

Like 0      
21 Jul 2010 2:31 PM by Hammer100 Star rating in Camposol, Mazarron. 94 posts Send private message

Hammer100´s avatar

Maybe the bars or people organising things should talk to their local authorities. Bars here in Mazarron can have music until very late as long as they have the necessary permission/licence. One local bar here has a nightclub licence which allows them to stay open with music until 4am. Another open air bar has karaoke, music etc until 12am.

All the bars/clubs did here was talk to the Town Hall.

Know that local authorities have different rules but cant believe that they would knowingly close bars at 9.30pm, more the case of people not speaking with Town Hall.

Dedicated Property Management - Mazarron http://www.mspvillaservices.com

Like 0      
21 Jul 2010 5:08 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

As Hammer100 stated, all bars in Spain must have an entertainment license.

"Wake up Spain and cater for ther people and what they want instead of spoiling the life as was in Spain.

These issues hardly encourage tourism, do they!"

The same applies in the UK and other EU countries.

Not everyone may want live music, karaoke and DJ's playing music.

Sometimes people just want a quiet drink mixed with intelligent conversation in a peaceful surrounding!

That's why there is such a wonderful mixture of bars and clubs along the Costas,,, something for everyone!

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
21 Jul 2010 6:08 PM by Mr Fish Star rating in Chester / LA. 39 posts Send private message

Techno said. "That's why there is such a wonderful mixture of bars and clubs along the Costas,,, something for everyone!"

Not in Los Alcazares there isn't, not anymore...

Like 0      
21 Jul 2010 9:15 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

There's not much of a mix of bars where I am either.  There's a load of expat/guiri bars where you can get your pints of Carling and fish and chips, and then there's the Spanish bars, which are mainly for the old fellas. 

The lack of decent bars/nightlife is one of the reasons we'll be moving elsewhere.

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
21 Jul 2010 11:29 PM by claire T Star rating in Torremendo, Orihuela. 688 posts Send private message

EOS Supporter

Hi - I was in San Javier this week (just up the road from Los Alcazares) and there was a live band playing on the beach to a large crowd, very late in the evening - I think we left about midnight and they were still playing.

.We also have lots of bars in Orihuela Costa playing live bands so it may well be about applying for the correct licence. 

Like 0      
22 Jul 2010 12:59 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Yeah, I don't think there's been any issues around here where we are.  The only problem is the lack of tourists to enjoy the music!

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
22 Jul 2010 12:12 PM by Rondeau Star rating. 20 posts Send private message

Hi again,

I do understand and appreciate the fact that maybe different areas have different regulations, however, I can assure you that the proprietors of Palm Beach are very much in touch with the respective influential people.

In any case what the hell are the Spanish playing at??

I remember years back when holidaymakers went to Spain for the late "Nightlife". These stupid restrictions are ruining what was once a thriving and lively Country for tourists. No wonder we keep reading of Turkey, Egypt and many other destinations enjoying a large share of tourism poached from Spain.

We have lived here for 4 years and the changes taking place are ruinous.

We too love Spanish Bars and quiet nights watching the world go by but by the same token we love the late energising nights all to sadly disappearing!!

Bureaucracy eh!!

Rondeau

Like 0      
22 Jul 2010 12:28 PM by Mr Fish Star rating in Chester / LA. 39 posts Send private message

Rondeau, I totally agree with you. Well said!

Like 0      
22 Jul 2010 12:40 PM by Rondeau Star rating. 20 posts Send private message

Thanks for your support and agreement Mr Fish.

All I do is speak how I see it from experience and I say it as it is!

Sadly many other people that post on this site on a number of matters want to continue painting this picture of Spain how it was/should be but things/times have changed.

When making statements I am not knocking Spain, just posting my observations.

Indeed we have many Spanish friends made by virtue of me learning the language fluently. But the overall picture is not encouraging.

Rondeau

Like 0      
22 Jul 2010 12:59 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

"The only problem is the lack of tourists to enjoy the music!"

Justin, you should have been down the port last Friday night, it was heaving!

We got there about 11.30pm after dropping kith 'n kin back at Malaga airport (so needed a drink.. ahem!) and there were people everywhere... I don't think we've ever seen the port that busy!

When we left just after 1am is was still the same, and our friends at Oasis and C Bar told us that they don't close until around 3 or 4 am during the season.

There are loads of Bars in the port, as there are in Sabinillas, and there are also the odd nightspot such as Lola's Show Bar, but I do agree with Sanchez that if you want the 'serious' non-stop Ibiza style nightlife, then you do need to look somewhere else, such as Puerto Banus, Calahonda, Fuengirola and Benelmadana along the CDS coast, or somewhere like Madrid inland.

The Ibiza style nightlife along the coast is all expat/guiri orientated anyway and those areas are truly 'Little Britiain', but we didn't want that sort of noisy, larger lout style atmosphere, hence we moved to the Manilva area, where there is plenty of nightlife... just a bit more relaxed!

If you want fun, family style, relaxed bars and restaurants with plenty of entertainment, then Duquesa and Sabinillas is where you need to go!

At the end of the day, it all depends on what sort of atmosphere you want as to where to go on holiday or live!

www.andalucianstyle.com

Like 0      
22 Jul 2010 1:05 PM by Hammer100 Star rating in Camposol, Mazarron. 94 posts Send private message

Hammer100´s avatar

I agree that it is sad about what is happening to your area and if it continues then the evening scene will be destroyed (I may advertise that for the moaners round here who want a donkey and zero noise, maybe they will move to Los Alcazares)

Maybe the bar owners can talk to opposition parties as this must be a local authority thing and if the owners of that other bar have applied for licences and I assume been refused then getting support from the opposition may be the way - could make the case that it will ruin the local economy. As much as some hate it, bars, restaurants, entertainment are an attraction for holidaymakers and without holidaymakers there is no property investment and without investment house prices drop..........if only the moaners here would understand that.

Hope things get straightened out for you guys

Dedicated Property Management - Mazarron http://www.mspvillaservices.com

Like 0      
22 Jul 2010 1:08 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

"All I do is speak how I see it from experience and I say it as it is!"

Rondeau, I believe most of us, including myself, do the same.

If you look at previous posts I have made over the years I have been a member, you will see that I give credit where it is due, and also vice-versa.

I say things from our perspective and experience of Spain, just like you and others do the same.

www.andalucianstyle.com

Like 0      
22 Jul 2010 1:13 PM by Mr Fish Star rating in Chester / LA. 39 posts Send private message

Understand what you are saying TechnoApe, that where you live you can have both sides of the coin. That's good for you. The point I was making is that when I moved to Los Alcazares 5 years ago it was an up and coming town and it developed into a good mix of both quiet bars and bars that were a bit more lively. I'm not even comparing the lively bars with the Ibiza scene. (I wouldn't want that. The most we ever had in a live band was a duo with a backing cd and sometimes a guitarist with the same). But over the past two years I would say, the police have been stopping any form of live music and fining the owners of the bars quite hefty sums of money. I've spoken to the bar owners and they tell me that the risk outweighs the benefits. Frankly, if I didn't own a poperty in LA, there is no way I would go there for a holiday, and I'm not looking for 24 hour non-stop boom boom, just the option to enjoy live music somewhere in the town. I don't want to have to get a taxi to another town and then have to try and get one back again after midnight. I couldn't enjoy the night with that in mind.

Like 0      
22 Jul 2010 1:17 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

TechnoApe:

The Ibiza style nightlife along the coast is all expat/guiri orientated anyway and those areas are truly 'Little Britiain', but we didn't want that sort of noisy, larger lout style atmosphere, hence we moved to the Manilva area, where there is plenty of nightlife... just a bit more relaxed!

I don't think you could get any more "Little Britain" than Manilva/Duquesa to be honest.  Especially the port.  That's why the Spanish never step foot in the port. 

Anyway, back on topic.  This does seem to be a problem in just particular areas, mainly the costas.  I haven't come across this when I've been out in Madrid, Barcelona or Jaen recently.  It seems daft to target the tourist areas like this.  Maybe local residents have been complaining.

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
22 Jul 2010 2:10 PM by semo Star rating in Ireland. 84 posts Send private message

Actually the Spanish do frequent the Port.  Usually in very large groups.  This makes them quite noticeable along with the jovial noise.   

Like 0      
22 Jul 2010 5:59 PM by ayrez Star rating in La Marina Oasis. 379 posts Send private message

It sounds as if the bars in Los Alcazares do not have the correct licences.

A couple of years ago the police stopped all the bars on Camposol from playing music for months because they did not have the correct licences. It took quite a while for them to sort it out.

I presume they all have them now as there is all the usual entertainment around now.

Jean

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Best place to electricals-Costa del Sol? - 3 posts
Too many brits in Spain (funny) - 14 posts
van space needed end July/early August - 2 posts
Kindle e-books for Dummies? - 1 posts
PROPERTIES FOR SALE IN GRAN ALACANT SANTA POLA - 0 posts
URGENT RENTAL NEEDED - 2 posts
Second hand shops - 8 posts
If you are travelling or expecting visitors... - 0 posts
Sold property what happens to Tax paid? - 1 posts
Electrical Certificate - 6 posts
DACION EL PAGO - 6 posts
Clay search - 0 posts
Clay search - 0 posts
Squatter crisis - 26 posts
New roof on old building... - 2 posts
Choir (coro) /Singing group - 0 posts
how far is Duecasa from Malaga Airport - 4 posts
El Corte Ingles Discount Vouchers..... - 0 posts
Problem President :( - 53 posts
Need an Alarm - Costa Blanca? - 3 posts
car boot sales - 0 posts
putting up curtain poles/pictures worried about electrical wires/pipes - 7 posts
Help with Plumbing - 2 posts
Agents near Mojacar - 3 posts
Getting Insurance Company to settle - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 18

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x