Selling goods into Spain before moving out.

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
04 May 2010 12:00 AM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

I am looking to start a business supplying goods to (mainly ex pats to begin with, mainly because my Spanish is still rubbish) Spain from the UK. Now, some of the goods will be electrical and obviously have 3 pin plugs, they will also usually have English instructions. Will this be an issue? I ask because I know of someone that opened a toy shop in Spain and had to spend €000's having instructions translated. Whilst selling into Spain from the UK, will this apply to me? I don't think it does really. I realise that when funds allow and I do move out then yes, I would be expected to be able to provide the correct plugs, instructions, etc.

Also, in the UK you have to have a pet shop licence to keep/ sell anything live. I assume this would also apply in Spain? Would I go to the Town Hall as I would go to my local council to apply for this licence? In the UK, I am able to licence my garage to sell my livestock and am inspected by the council and their vet. Would I be able to convert a garage in Spain or would I have to get a commercial unit?

Thanks for the input

Mark

Like 0      
04 May 2010 1:43 PM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

If I remember correctly EU law states that it must have the correct plug fitted . I recenly bought 2 Uninterrupted power supplies, both different makes for our computers & both came with complete leads for either UK or europe. I assume you just throw the other one away. What an absolute waste of money & how does that stand with saving the planet !

Regarding labels the law is that it must be in the language of the country. Lidls, Aldi, & Iceland all put there own stickers on products that do not comply, although Aldis have a tendency to miss some out.

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
04 May 2010 1:50 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

I understand the thing about language if I were selling within Spain. The customers will be purchasing from a (currently) UK company with items shipped from the UK, therefore so long as they are made aware of the plug situation it shouldn't (hopefully) be a problem. Thing is, the electrical items all have moulded plugs, so a spare lead isn't an option. I suppose I could source some 3 pin to 2 pin adaptors and provide them with the goods in much the same way a s goods arrive to me in the UK from Hong Kong. Ideally I could get them to buy a gadget into which you place the bare wires after cutting off the plug and therefore running the equipmet off the one plug which the customer would need to fit.

Mark

Like 0      
04 May 2010 2:46 PM by claire T Star rating in Torremendo, Orihuela. 689 posts Send private message

EOS Supporter

Hi Mark - when I first arrived I bought some phones from a British shop on our urb and they came with British plugs on.  He simply put a free adaptor into the box although I don't know if that complied with the law or not.  The hassle was outweighed by the fact that the instruction manual was in English.  He also supplied an adaptor to the spanish phone socket.

If you are selling over the internet or through a UK catalogue then I don't think you would have to provide anything in Spanish.

Like 0      
04 May 2010 3:03 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Thanks Claire 

Mark

Like 0      
04 May 2010 4:56 PM by fultond Star rating in Haywards Heath & Tor.... 242 posts Send private message

If you buy table lamps from Dunnes they come with UK plugs, so can't see that there is a legal issue!

Like 0      
04 May 2010 5:49 PM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

Depending on what electrical goods you are talking about, this may not be an issue.  We have bought numerous electrical items for our new home and most have come with a thick booklet giving instructions in several languages - microwave, toaster, blender, coffee grinder etc, as well as larger items such as TVs.

Sue

Sue Walker

Author of "Retiring the Ole Way", now available on Amazon

See my blog about our life in Spain: www.spainuncovered.com

Like 0      
04 May 2010 10:18 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

All sounds good so far. They are not big electrical items, mainly heaters, pumps, etc for aquariums. Some come with multi translations, some don't.

Just need to find out about the possible licensing and working from a converted garage if possible?

Thanks

Mark

Like 0      
05 May 2010 9:39 AM by claire T Star rating in Torremendo, Orihuela. 689 posts Send private message

EOS Supporter

Hi again Mark - licensing issues are dealt with by the Town Hall and are very different from what we are used to.  Some Ayuntamientos have a decent website and enquiry page so you could pose your question there - or get someone local to go in and speak to the planning officer.

I wanted to know about licences for an art gallery in a converted barn and they just about had a fit - said I could not run any business other than a farm in a farm building!  This was despite the fact there are farms falling into ruin everywhere.  However, I was told that in neighbouring Murcia province there would be no problem!

Good luck!

Like 0      
05 May 2010 8:12 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Mark, near where we live in Spain there's a shop called Discount Electrical Appliances selling goods from the UK with 3 pin plugs on, also slightly damaged goods, washing machines etc, with a slight to worse dent (sometimes).

http://www.roundtownnews.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=21671&Itemid=31

Maybe you could ask them .. phone numbers are at the bottom of the article.

Like 0      
05 May 2010 11:11 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Hmmm, their new website that was going to go live in December isn't working . Won't ring them from the UK, but may give them a bell when next out. Thanks More.

Thanks everyone else too for your input 

Mark

Like 0      
22 Jul 2010 2:05 PM by Hammer100 Star rating in Camposol, Mazarron. 94 posts Send private message

Hammer100´s avatar

I know this is a bit of an old thread but just seen it. Selling goods in Spain and then having then shipped directly from the UK caused a friend of our problems last year as he didnt look into the warrranty side of things. A customer purchased a TV which started playing up after a few months and then completely shut down, they contacted him and he contacted the UK supplier but because he had shipped it outside of the UK the cover was void and he had to fork out for a replacement. I read somewhere that play.com (who can have some great deals on eletrical items) would not ship to Euroland because of different electrical sytems and warranty issues related to this.

Of course this is just from info from my friend and seeing stuff on net about play.com.

Dedicated Property Management - Mazarron http://www.mspvillaservices.com

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Justice issues - 0 posts
Justice issues - 33 posts
Justice issues - 0 posts
Ash cloud Back - 1 posts
Spanish registered car - 3 posts
Check the news, the ash cloud's back, certain airports closed or closing - 11 posts
Architect in Granada - 0 posts
Power of attorney - 13 posts
wedding - 6 posts
NIE by POA - 12 posts
Schooling - 1 posts
renting a space in a hotel - 4 posts
Help! How do I remove mould/mildew from a sofa? - 7 posts
medina de banus - 0 posts
medina de banus - 0 posts
Guardamar - Playa Los Tusales - 0 posts
Just curious..... - 138 posts
Schools in/around Manilva - 0 posts
Bank charges - 4 posts
i need to swap my rhd for lhd. - 1 posts
Greece seals rescue deal with EU and IMF - 2 posts
Bus trips to Gibraltar - 14 posts
does any one know were i can buy a jet ski from - 3 posts
amber pools - 6 posts
Pets - 10 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 12

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x