we're giving the UK the fingers up.Selling UK property before UK goes to the dogs

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | ... | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | ... | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
27 Jan 2009 9:48 PM by Candyfloss Star rating in Cardiff / Mar Menor. 1605 posts Send private message

Candyfloss´s avatar

Hi Willoughby

Tish is right, there are some great people on here in general so don't be put off. Good advice and nice friends to be made here

Like 0      
28 Jan 2009 9:04 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

Hi Willoughby,

As both Candyflloss and Tish said, we really are a nice bunch on this forum and try our best to give good, impartial advice.

Sometimes it's just personal opinions based on one's own experiences.

However, there are the odd 'disruptive' persons who from time to time appear, and seem to genuinely believe that they are somehow being helpful.

As quite a few people on here have said to me, you just have to rise above it and ignore them, and then they will eventually get bored and move on.

This message was last edited by TechNoApe on 1/28/2009.

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
28 Jan 2009 9:34 PM by willoughby Star rating. 53 posts Send private message

Hi ... i know you are a caring lot dont worry i havent ran and hid..... i have been offline had to get my teeth into the vat... 15% & 17.5% in one quarter has created problems at the last hour.

seems odd after all these years putting a 'postage stamp' on the inland rev envelope... used to be pre paid. 

tight or what

Like 0      
28 Jan 2009 10:15 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Yeah, what was it this year with unstamped Inland Revenue envelopes?  The grabbed me for almost 8 grand in extra taxes (on top of my PAYE) and then send me an unstamped envelope warning me of dire perils if the postage was incorrect!!! Thieving gits.  And if you use a large envelope with  a normal stamp, they charge you 8p extra postage and a pound on top for "admin charges".  You now have to use a stamp (large) or pay an extra £1.08p on top.  One of the guys in work had his tax return returned as Inland Revenue refused to pay the extra postage charges.

No wonder I'm turning into a grumpy old git.

Like 0      
28 Jan 2009 10:47 PM by willoughby Star rating. 53 posts Send private message

bobaol

well i have decided to cut back like the inland revenue... if they cant be bothered to pay for a pre paid envelope why should I??  

oh yes I am so cutting back this 2009 that I will 'stepping up' the speed at which i pick stamps off my mail envelopes - without a post mark....saving them all for my vat returns.. have a great 'pritt' stick hope it cloggs up the machines at the royal mail...ha ha ha..  this pathetic government loves to indirectly tax me over & over & over

Like 0      
28 Jan 2009 11:22 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

Ha ha,yes I'vejust done the VAT and noticed the lack of pre-paid envelope and the bugger of 17.5% to 15%.But I'd left it so late messing about of internet forums such as EOS and Facebook I had to pay extra postage to ensure next day delivery.....doh....

Regards, Poppyseed

Poppyseed

Like 0      
28 Jan 2009 11:41 PM by willoughby Star rating. 53 posts Send private message

poppyseed

as long as its first class you could have sent your return today or tomorrow early.... i will send mine tomorrow morning first class post it will get there friday.   

hope the rules havent changed in the past vat quarter.!!!!...for 10 years I held onto my cheque as long as possible near the due date.  allow for working days not weekends 

in this economic climate 'mr brown' will have pound signs in his eyes 'yet again'.. penalties will be apllied to an awfull lot of people trying to keep their business afloat ...

Like 0      
29 Jan 2009 12:24 AM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

Willoughby, regret I have less confidence in Royal Mail and didn't want to mess with the VAT Controller!

Regards, Poppyseed

Poppyseed

Like 0      
29 Jan 2009 8:42 AM by Lauryc Star rating in Was South Devon .. n.... 520 posts Send private message

Lauryc´s avatar

I did my VAT return from Spain and paid online. No stamps to worry about then.

Laury

Oh and i'm still more than happy that we moved to Spain despite the business being in the UK still.

Laury

Like 0      
29 Jan 2009 9:31 AM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

Hi Laury,

Long time, no speak.

How are you doing?

You need to update your location on your profile to show people that like us, you have realised your aspirations.

Well done and I hope the removal firm you used got their just deserts!

www.andalucianstyle.com

Like 0      
29 Jan 2009 3:38 PM by Lauryc Star rating in Was South Devon .. n.... 520 posts Send private message

Lauryc´s avatar

Hiya!

I've been so busy settling in and arranging things like fences and patios and stuff.

Me and hubby and dog have had two weeks more than you but I still have boxes everywhere.

We're loving it and so pleased we made the move .. you are right of course my profile is out of date. Ooops.

Seems you're settling in well too. Good luck with the job hunting. My other half of course is working in the UK still.

Laury

Laury

Like 0      
29 Jan 2009 4:27 PM by Irene&Alan Star rating in Formentera del Segur.... 701 posts Send private message

Irene&Alan´s avatar

Going back to the original topic....

We're thrilled to bits to be joining the exodos to Espana. We complete on the sale of our house next Friday; our stuff was collected today for shipping to Spain; I'll be handing in my notice at work on Monday and in a month's time we'll be living the good life in our lovely Spanish home.

It's been a bumpy ride. We didn't chose a good time to sell our house, but we're optimistic about our future and basically are so very excited to be able to start living our dream.

Espana here we come!!!!!

Irene & Alan

Like 0      
29 Jan 2009 4:31 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

Congratulations Irene and Alan.

Well done and we wish you all the best for your new life in Spain.

www.andalucianstyle.com

Like 0      
29 Jan 2009 4:38 PM by Candyfloss Star rating in Cardiff / Mar Menor. 1605 posts Send private message

Candyfloss´s avatar

Great news Irene and Alan

Glad to hear it's all worked out for you. Hope you love it, I'm sure you will. 

Am I allowed bling these days?, I can never tell

Like 0      
29 Jan 2009 5:05 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

Well Irene and Alan,

I know you told me a few days ago,  I am so pleased it is on the forum now, Have you finished all the packing yet, that must be a nightmare?

Will see you over there at some point.

Meantime have a  on us.  Till we can buy you one. Sam's bar has been taken over. I have just heard.

Well done  Pat  

Like 0      
29 Jan 2009 6:58 PM by Irene&Alan Star rating in Formentera del Segur.... 701 posts Send private message

Irene&Alan´s avatar

Thanks people for your kind words.

After we waved goodbye to the van this morning we seemed to crash - I guess it was the strain of the last few weeks. Anyway, I decided we needed a treat so we took ourselves off to a local eatery and had a lovely (slightly boozy) lunch. We came back and, fitting with our future new life, had a short siesta (well you just have to get with the flow don't you?).

Tomorrow morning the son-in-law is coming with another van to collect yet more of our belongings to further furnish their home, so tomorrow night, we'll have no sofa, no armchairs - I lie, we'll have one broken armchair. I think we'll bring down a mattress and lay on the floor to watch telly!

We're leaving our house next Friday 6th and coming to Spain for 10th-15th to take in all our stuff. Then we're back to work out notice, parking at my lovely sisters (bless her!)

It's been a dream for years and I still can't believe it's really coming true.

We've been studying Spanish hard for a few years and although we still have a long way to go we're going to keep at it.

Alan's planning to start a children's badminton club as soon as he can find a venue - so if anyone knows where there are courts close to Formentera del Segura, do let us know. We've played in Guardamar, but want to start something closer to home.

We'll miss the kids (but they are really grownups, although I don't think they know it) and certainly the grandkids but they are already planning holidays with nanny and grandad (the icing on the cake!).

We're planning to bring Alan's lovely car over for a while - it's a convertible and I don't allow him to take the roof down too often in the UK - so we'll be driving down with our more precious possessions (particularly two Mackenzie Thorpes). I'm a bit worried about driving an English car on Spanish roads but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

I hope I don't bore you all too much with this stuff, but I know I've enjoyed reading other people's stories, so I hope you'll enjoy ours.

Cheers everyone

Irene

Like 0      
29 Jan 2009 8:12 PM by motherfirth Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

The Promised Land Spain.   Sorry Not Anymore,

I have heard it all before. Always Remember (Everything that glitters isn’t always Gold) Spain is in no better Shape than Britain with over 3 million people unemployed. Repossessions, Property prices in free fall, Banks will not lend money, bars closing restaurants struggling to make ends meet, just take a look at the sky line not many cranes, most of the big projects have been put on hold.
With the exchange rate and the pound being weak if you are having a pension sent over to Spain expect to lose a third of your money. There’s a lot of Brits living in Spain not half as comfortable as they used to be. I have owned property over ten years how. Everything you can think of as all risen by a third, with the pound being weak against the euro. The good days in Spain when the exchange rate was 1-40 plus euros to the pound have gone. Please be very careful 

Like 0      
29 Jan 2009 8:35 PM by BPD Star rating. 22 posts Send private message

Congratulations Irene&Alan. Good luck in your new life.

Ignore the negative comments........There are many, many positive people in Spain.

We are still waiting for that one buyer, but sooooo looking forward to the time we can move.

Like 0      
29 Jan 2009 9:07 PM by motherfirth Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

I am sorry if you think my comments are negative, I am one of the lucky people which have the best of both worlds a home in Spain and one in England, the comment I made were only trying to help and explain the situation over in spain  as it is. Spenting lots of time over in spain over the last ten years I know  both brits and spainish people and most of them would recommend  proceed  with caution. Only being Helpful Motherfirth

I wish all pepole moving to Spain  My Best Regards

This message was last edited by motherfirth on 1/29/2009.

Like 0      
29 Jan 2009 10:17 PM by BPD Star rating. 22 posts Send private message

Motherfirth, so sorry, didn't mean to upset you at all.

I don't agree with the title of this thread, but have read some postings that have annoyed me.

This website is particularly helpful with the many people thing of making the move, for whatever reason. Long may it continue!

I believe there are some areas in life when push comes to shove, we have to make the final leap ourselves,good or bad.

I'm glad that you have enjoyed Spain and hope we have the same experience.

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | ... | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | ... | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Limited 3% - 0 posts
WHEN ADOES A PROPERTY BECOME LIABLE FOR COMMUNITY CHARGES - 3 posts
posting to the uk - 4 posts
Dedicated to Woolworths and M&S Staff and all those under Threat in dear old England...... - 0 posts
Wood burning stoves... - 14 posts
Long Term rental required....... - 6 posts
Advice for en-route hotel - 4 posts
satellite dish size - 8 posts
Receiving a PM - help needed please - 7 posts
ATMs at Alicante Airport? - 3 posts
Christmas Trees... - 3 posts
Taxes in Costaluz according to Aristotles. - 0 posts
Xmas request? - 0 posts
3-4 Month Property rental needed - 5 posts
Santander - 4 posts
summer holidays - 10 posts
house swap - 0 posts
Cheap phone calls in UK and abroad - 14 posts
house swap - 2 posts
Quality, Affordable Builder in Costa tropical region. All you building needs. Fluent Spanish - 0 posts
Stunning Off plan development/ plot of land for sale Jete/Almunecar Costa tropical - 0 posts
pub style or similar pool table wanted south spain - 0 posts
Getting a TV to spain - 13 posts
Mortgage rates in Spain have they come down? will they come down? when? - 12 posts
Is telemicro back? - 10 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 261

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x