Getting a TV to spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
06 Jan 2009 12:00 AM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

I have just bought a new TV for Spain from Argos, too good a deal to refuse . The idea was to use parcel2go.com as they have some good rates. I then noticed on the small print that insurance could not be included for television sets .  I have looked at some other companies offering the same sort of service, but none of them cover TV's either . To send it by road will cost £40, the cheapest service where I can have extra insurance as an option is £93 + £15 for the insurance .

I then had a bright idea . I am travelling out again in February, The boxed television weighs 14.7kg in the manufacturer's pckaging. How about taking it as hold luggage? Only £6 to take then! How safe is it likely to be in the hold, I have seen the baggage handlers at work .

Thoughts anybody please?

Mark

Like 0      
06 Jan 2009 6:36 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

You could try a courier service like Fast Lane International, there web site is: www.wedelivertheworld.co.uk/index.php

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
06 Jan 2009 6:50 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

Mark

Stuff the box with as much additional lightweight material as possible, make sure edges/corners are well protected and it should be OK.

It probably wont be accepted at the normal check-in desk and will need to go through the 'special handling check-in'.

Loss and damage will not be covered by the airline as valuables are required to be carried as hand baggage; also it wont be covered by travel insurance for the same reason.

This information from Jet2's baggage policy and their recommended travel insurance policy documents;

Used Jet2 as an example since a) they are typical of all lo-cost airlines and b) you living in Leeds, I assume you you would consider them as your local airline...

fb

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      
06 Jan 2009 6:54 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

And they are who i'm flying with in Feb . Thanks FB

Techno. I've just emailed your suggestion as they don't specify no television coverage. Fingers crossed!

Thanks

Mark

Like 0      
06 Jan 2009 7:03 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

We used them about three years ago when we sent our 32" LCD TV out here.

What we did was get a bigger box and do as Foxbat suggested and stuff a load of other bits 'n bobs in with it, made sure the box had hardened corners, and sent the lot as one parcel with Insurance to cover everything.

Be aware that they charge on 'Volumetric Weight' which is the amount of room the box takes up, and not so much on the weight of the box itself.

We had to make sure we asked the courier who arrived for the 'Air Way Bill' and made sure that the Insurance Box was ticked and a value inserted against it, however I believe they do this all electronically now.

This message was last edited by TechNoApe on 1/6/2009.

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
06 Jan 2009 10:54 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

I've taken a small tv out via Easyjet.  The boxes are very sturdy and the tv itself is protected with the polystyrene molding.  Only problem could be if it has to be transported in an upright position.  Do baggage handler's take notice of sign's on box.

I've stood by the carousel and seen someone's face when the package clearly marked fragile was sent up with the rest of the hold baggage.

I've also seen a mirror come round on the carousel at Alicante airport and it was in one piece

Like 0      
07 Jan 2009 5:00 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

I did think about trying it as hand luggage, but in the box it is 76cmx 65cmx 23cm. I think I may be pushing it a bit

Mark

Like 0      
12 Jan 2009 7:27 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

I'm trying to find third party insurance cover for this package now. Does anyone have any ideas please? Googling "goods in transit insurance" only brings up commercial policies.

Mark

Like 0      
13 Jan 2009 1:17 AM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

Just for info in case this is still an option...

But you probably knew this anyway...

If its oversized it will go as checked hold baggage...

fb

Like 0      
13 Jan 2009 1:20 AM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

Just another thought...

When I lived in the UK, 'goods and personal possessions in transit' were covered by my domestic house Buildings and Contents Policy...

fb

Like 0      
13 Jan 2009 1:08 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

I've just had a response from the people Techno mentioned (finally) and they have confirmed that a television in its original packaging will be covered by their insurance (so long as it isn't a plasma!). So, £40 all in for delivery to Spain on a 5 day service. I'm happy with that .

Mark

Like 0      
13 Jan 2009 3:47 PM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

Hi Mark

We are thinking of doing the same, especially if Argos are still doing cheap deals!  What size and make of TV are you sending to Spain?  £40 sounds like a good deal!

Regards.

Su

Sue Walker

Author of "Retiring the Ole Way", now available on Amazon

See my blog about our life in Spain: www.spainuncovered.com

Like 0      
13 Jan 2009 4:55 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

It's a 26" tv and in the box weghs just under 15kgs. It's only the cheap Acoustic Solutions one, but fine for what we need and it was only £200!! Although they specify DHL on their website, apparently it is TNT door to door.

Mark

Like 0      
13 Jan 2009 5:57 PM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

Hi Mark

Thanks for your prompt reply.  We have given our existing TV to my son, as we didn't plan to spend much more time in the London flat, but nothing's selling  and we need to go back for another 10 days for birthday celebrations.  We thought we would buy a cheap set, then transfer it over here and have it in the kitchen so John can watch Man Utd there!

Sue

PS It was our Spanish agent who suggested that, when he showed John the TV point in the kitchen!

Sue Walker

Author of "Retiring the Ole Way", now available on Amazon

See my blog about our life in Spain: www.spainuncovered.com

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Mortgage rates in Spain have they come down? will they come down? when? - 12 posts
Is telemicro back? - 10 posts
stray dogs Granada - 4 posts
pilurini - 0 posts
Setting up a (very!) limited company? - 2 posts
Iberdrola charges? - 20 posts
Just Testing - 0 posts
can you help? - 2 posts
Box Van Trailer Wanted - 0 posts
translation of community rules document - 2 posts
Nationwide and the nonsense they peddle!! - 5 posts
3 KINGS PARADE - 15 posts
Rental needed short and long term - 0 posts
Guests to avoid... - 8 posts
Has anyone got experience of getting their deposit back through their solicitor with or without a 'bank guarentee'? - 2 posts
Good restraunts in Fuengirola - 10 posts
Internet in Vera, Almeria - 21 posts
Spectrum radio and the agents advertising - 0 posts
The Fourth King - 0 posts
Chesterton and the wise men ( Reyes Magos) - 0 posts
Van to Europe - 0 posts
Long term rental - Tenants rights - 3 posts
Moving back, car for swop, Honda shttle people carrier 4x4 RHD UK plates. - 0 posts
Charges for Inheritance - 2 posts
been for a visit too in nov 23 - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 14

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x