Telimico GONE AGAIN............

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
23 Sep 2008 3:26 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Customer service at it's best Karen, from reports they have always been like this.  Now they have no competition I doubt if it will get better.

Grahamd - So I can connect this sling box to my freeview box in bedroom and watch TV via laptop in Spain.  I can change channels in Spain and not upset the OH who will be watching Virgin Media downstairs    When we're both out together we could watch more channels on virgin media

If I've understood right then I just need to get an internet connection in Spain and upload my speed here in UK.  Easy peasy

Think I'll have to ask the computer expert in family to talk me through this, I'm sure he'll be pleased when I call him

Like 0      
23 Sep 2008 3:37 PM by conrad Star rating in Milton Keynes and Dr.... 298 posts Send private message

conrad´s avatar
Semi my place is in Dream Hills 2 up near los alstos and I do get tdt even though if i put in the code for us which is 03189 it only gives you la solana which says no go or urb las filipinas which says ok

Like 0      
23 Sep 2008 3:40 PM by Grahamd Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Semi....... The Slingbox you need is the Slingbox Pro - it can connect to a Freeview device, but also has it's own internal tuner, so you can watch your own live channels on the laptop in spain and change channels without upsetting the UK residents viewing. 

(I have the Virgin + box, but presently cannot watch any recordings on it as Slingmedia do not yet have a 'profile' for that device.)

Like 0      
23 Sep 2008 3:56 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

What a result, from being without TV it now looks like I have two solutions.  Now need to look into getting a connection, may even sweet talk the neighbours to see if they have wireless connection that I can borrow when I'm over, for a small fee of course.

Haven't got time to sort it out before I fly out Sunday but should be ok for November.

Pity about the Virgin Media, just think of the fun I could have changing it over from the sport channel it's always on when I leave the room.  I know once it works on Virgin it wouldn't happen but it's putting a smile on my face just thinking about what the reaction would be if I could.

Actually anyone who has family in the UK could get family to set up a sling box for them to use in Spain or have I misunderstood how it works.  Do you access a code or something to activate it.

Just thinking it may be a solution for Karen until they find the required amount of people in their flats to sign up for the Sky scheme.  How much does a Slingbox - Pro cost?

Like 0      
23 Sep 2008 4:22 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2626 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar
If you have a capped internet connection at home (or even some of the "unlimited" connections that have a Fair Usage Policy), you need to realise just how much bandwidth streaming TV can use. A single 1/2 hour programme can use 600mb. Now if like me, your connection at home has a usage limit (mine if 5GB and £2 per GB over that), you can see that it isn't very much TV. Also, if you go down the route of a wireless dongle in Spain, you only normally get 3GB of bandwidth included and you pay extra for more. A potential double whammy!!

Sounds to me like Graham has the luxury of a cable internet connection which I have no real knowledge of, but with a home phone you normally have two options. 1. BT ot 2. LLU (local loop unbundled where a company uses it's own equipment in te exchange). With BT, upload speed are limited to 448 bps (or is it kbps?) unless you have a business connection which is higher. Normally a LLU internet provider will have a higher upload speed because they only take the "cream" of BT's customers.

Mark

Like 0      
23 Sep 2008 4:43 PM by Grahamd Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Fair point Marksfish on the Fair Usage policy - I'm on Virgin Max, and haven't been choked back which can be applied automatically. Current system is 'helping' a Telimicro customer whilst I'm in the UK and don't need it - it's been running constantly now for about 4/5 weeks without a hitch, but I only got the system really for when I was visiting my place in San Pedro Del Pinatar.

The ADSL connections or even LLU usually have an upload speed of 450kbps - my Virgin system is 750kbps, but that is where Slingbox excels, it works out the line speeds and using algorithms streams at the most optimum - good for films but I think watching snooker would be a tad difficult.

If I were living in Spain the best solution is a dish on the roof 1.8 or 2.4 metres with Freesat decoder (not the Sky version) - no ongoing rental, just the install cost and most of all it's legal!

Like 0      
23 Sep 2008 5:43 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

OMG, just when I thought I'd got it, you all start getting technical on me, the only thing I understood is that I'm going to have to upgrade to the higher speed internet that Virgin keep sending me literature about.  The rest I'll have to run by the N I L to see if he thinks I can cope with it out in Spain.  Oh to be technically minded.

Like 0      
23 Sep 2008 8:24 PM by roylps Star rating in balsicas, murcia. 56 posts Send private message

JUst brought a spanish free view box, can return if not suitable, on connecting to spanish ariel and switching on we get ¨boot^ signal. 

Any ideas?

Like 0      
24 Sep 2008 7:32 PM by jj325 Star rating in San Pedro del Pinata.... 24 posts Send private message

HI 

Ours is a Phillips TDT box, booted all by itself, took a little time the first time connecting, and now regularly updates itself and can also scan for extra channels as and when they become available.

Like 0      
24 Sep 2008 8:25 PM by roylps Star rating in balsicas, murcia. 56 posts Send private message

Thanks Jo, did you buy it in Spain,

Like 0      
24 Sep 2008 8:37 PM by jj325 Star rating in San Pedro del Pinata.... 24 posts Send private message

Hi,

Yes got ours in a big MASTER electrical shop last may, cost about 40€ had no problems with this one at all, had bought a less known brand about the same time for my daughters portable and this packed up within 5 months, or course could not find this ones receipt!!

Like 0      
24 Sep 2008 8:39 PM by jj325 Star rating in San Pedro del Pinata.... 24 posts Send private message

Sorry meant to say, have you checked your signal strength in your area?

Our house had digital antennae installed as standard, I don't know if all do, might be worth checking.

Like 0      
25 Sep 2008 9:15 AM by roylps Star rating in balsicas, murcia. 56 posts Send private message

thanks jo, will investigate further

Like 0      
25 Sep 2008 10:23 AM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar
Does anyone know how to disconnect my Coship box ariel from the wall socket?

I want to be able to just have Spanish TV but when Telemicrof was installed, they used the roof ariel socket for their wires.

I can't get anything on the TV at the moment.

thanks............

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
25 Sep 2008 12:32 PM by claire T Star rating in Torremendo, Orihuela. 688 posts Send private message

EOS Supporter
Hi - I'm in the same position as Fibby - Telemicro disconnected my spanish antenna when they put in their system.  

I have just pulled the Telemicro cable out and disconnected the Coship box so I can watch DVDs.  I would like to get a TDT box but do I need a digital antenna for this or just get my old analogue reconnected?  How do I find someone to reconnect the antenna?

Like 0      
25 Sep 2008 1:47 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
By the way, I heard on the radio today that around 14 people have now been arrested in connection with this "fraud".  They also said that Telmicro had over 30,000 subscribers...and they didn't pay any tax!

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
25 Sep 2008 2:46 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Claire T - some people have used the telemicro wire which comes into the house and dismantled the connection to Telmicro ariel, put up a digital ariel in it's place and connected the wire to that.  If it doesn't work then change the connections around and try again.  It also may require jiggling the ariel around to get the max amount of channels.  Some only get 10/12 when they first set it up.

I read this morning that it was Canal+ who had denounced them as they had bought a licence from them to show Fox, Calle13 and Sci Fi but for a less number than they were actually sending it too.  Speculation is that they only counted the d/d customers and not the Cash up front ones.

The video footage is on the Guardia Civil website HERE. Just click on video, under "Enlaces de video" at the bottom of the page.

Interesting video and photos.

Like 0      
25 Sep 2008 6:36 PM by claire T Star rating in Torremendo, Orihuela. 688 posts Send private message

EOS Supporter
Thanks Semi - so I only need a new bit for the roof - note the impressive technical language!! 

Like 0      
25 Sep 2008 6:57 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

If you make sure the new bit has digital printed on it you can't go wrong   At least it gives us numpties a clue

Like 0      
25 Sep 2008 7:13 PM by roylps Star rating in balsicas, murcia. 56 posts Send private message

Well folks after reading Guardia Civil website report, it looks like TELMICRO have gone for good. Unless anyone knows different.

Next question, does anyone know where we can get a dish and decoder set to receive English chanels at a reasonable price and someone who can fit / commission in Murcia area at a reasonable price. 

The best price I have seen is 395 € installed for a 20 chanel system.

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

one way van rental - 0 posts
SPANISH GYPSIES TAKEN OVER APPARTMENT - 2 posts
Lookin to move to Spain ? help - 8 posts
Congratulations! - 0 posts
Restaurant reviews benidorm - 0 posts
Internet-Pay as you go,or Monthly Contract ? - 2 posts
Using the spanish health service if under 65 and early retired. - 6 posts
Los Lagos court case won against developer! - 5 posts
Costa Brava - 0 posts
Help Snake - 3 posts
50cc motorbike for sale - 0 posts
2 seater sofa for sale - 1 posts
Can a mod please explain - 4 posts
flying pets with iberia - 5 posts
chrissy - 0 posts
Costs involved in Selling - 5 posts
New El Pirata in Albatera - 0 posts
Bank Guarantees, a new source of woe for off plan buyers - 1 posts
New Scooters 50 - 125 - 150 cc - 21 posts
Please I need some advice! - 5 posts
Two jobs in Spain? Is this possible - 1 posts
IBI Local taxes - 75 posts
Mirador Villa Phase 2 Fuente De Piedra - 2 posts
urgent - cycle hire - 0 posts
Living in Malaga - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 97

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x