NEW LOW COST AIRLINE TO ALMERIA

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
21 Dec 2006 12:00 AM by Matilda Star rating in Marbella. 16 posts Send private message

Matilda´s avatar
Hi all,

This moving to Spain and starting a business really does have so much more to it than first thought.

Does anyone know where I can do long term car hire in Costa del Sol? Looking for about 3 months to start with.

Thanks, hope you are all enjoying the christmas work up!

Mx

Like 0      
21 Dec 2006 1:51 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar

Hi Matilda I can recommend Arrow Car Hire in Benalmadena. Speak to Jeremy or Beverley - telephone number 952 564 912 - tell them Patrick Robinson said to make sure they give you their best price. They deal with all the major hire companies in Malaga province but usually cars come from Crown so can be picked up at any Crown office but if they are getting a better deal with Europcar or Helle Hollis for example that is what they will get for you. If you have issues with the vehicle as well then they will help to get it sorted out. When I was first here I was saving about 125€ a month over hiring direct. Most visitors of mine always use them and are amazed at pick up when they hear what other people are being charged.

Rgds

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
21 Dec 2006 3:20 PM by Matilda Star rating in Marbella. 16 posts Send private message

Matilda´s avatar

Thats brilliant, thanks very much. Am going to use them they sound ideal.

Like 0      
21 Dec 2006 6:47 PM by Sol_james Star rating. 21 posts Send private message

I would suggest you go ahead and call them and try to negotiate the very best price you can. When they give you their "best" price, ask if they can go a bit lower. THEN go ahead and tell them that Patrick Robinson referred you, and see what they will do.

Not meaning to insult or insinuate Patrick in any way. Probably a great guy! But so many backhanders in Spain - I am just reluctant to say anyone sent me anywhere for fear of a "commission" being paid for my business.

Like 0      
22 Dec 2006 3:34 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
Hi Sol_james

If someone has recommended a good service to someone else why would it be a problem if they were to get some commission out of it?  At the end of the day the service will cost you the same, it's whether you want the service supplier to keep all the money or whether a small portion goes to the person that recommended them (who's putting his own reputation on the line by recommending them).  You still pay the same price.

I don't know if Smiley would get some commission or not but if he did, why would that be a problem?  He's recommended a company to you and he's a respected contributor to this forum.  It doesn't cost the end user any more money...personally, I would rather Smiley DID get a portion of the money for his help rather than it all go the car hire company.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
22 Dec 2006 4:23 PM by sping Star rating in Stockport & Playa Go.... 148 posts Send private message

sping´s avatar

Hi Justin, so how often do you and Smiley go out for a beer!

Just joking, you’re right, we all rely on the information and recommendations that are posted on this and other sites. It is people like Smiley who make sure that the newcomers to Spain don’t fall foul of the simple problems others might encounter.

I personally would think twice before putting my name to a recommendation like Smiley did, as you never know who you’re recommending to your contacts.

So well done Smiley and I only wish you were based up on the Costa Blanca so that I could get some good contacts. “I’m willing to buy you a beer or two if you move!”

Sping…

Like 0      
22 Dec 2006 4:43 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar

Hi SolJames I understand and respect your obvious cynicism - you are not the first and I have no doubt you will not be the last. The CDS can be a little like that. In fact I make no commission out of it at all. I am more than happy for people to make their money doing what they do and I make a living doing what I do. I have a lawyer that I recommend my clients to use as he is a great lawyer. When we first started using him he worked for a big practice but about 30 months ago went independent and asked if we would continue using him - more than happy to as he is good and provides a great service. He advised that he would pay us a commission for introduced business - we asked him to reduce the fee to our clients which is preceisely what he does. I also know a guy who does Sky Installs - good job very fair price - offered me commission - told him no point as his fair price then puts him with everyone else on price (in fact it probably doesnt). I am simply happy that others can take advantage of any contacts and knowledge I have acquired - this place is all about networking and if everyone benefits from a public forum such as this then so much the better.

The reason I tell people to mention my name that I send to Arrow is so that Arrow know immediately that they are not going to get someone call up in twenty minutes time saying "I sent Mr Smith to you so wheres my commission".

Sping - was hoping to actually meet Justin pre Xmas after he braved the UK for a beer but I havent managed to get the chance as too busy working and keeping people informed about buying in Spain on EOS. Hopefully things will be a little less manic in January and Justin and I can get out for a drink - how about it Justin? And anyone else here at the moment who cares to join us. Wouldnt dream of leaving my beloved CDS for the Costa Blanca - too cold there - and although I havent been up there in a while I am sure it is lovely - for my money the infrastructure is better here although everything probably poco mas caro! Plus as no doubt you can tell I am a celeb chaser and you get a different type of celeb in Marbella - Eastenders stars, Premiership footie players, Antonio Banderas - and if you believe that you will believe I get paid a commission from people I recommend - actually I did have coffee with Melanie Griffith about 10 weeks ago and had fish and chips sitting next to Mike Reid (Frank Butcher)about 6 months ago - someone had to tell me who he was!

Rgds

Rgds

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
23 Dec 2006 10:51 AM by Sol_james Star rating. 21 posts Send private message

Justin

Hi Justin,

First of all I will qualify my comments by admitting that I am fairly new to the coast and am just learning “the ropes” myself, so take my comments with a grain of salt if you will.

But you wrote

“At the end of the day the service will cost you the same, it's whether you want the service supplier to keep all the money or whether a small portion goes to the person that recommended them.

That is the main issue I was trying to address with my post. I do not necessarily agree with you on that. My impression of how things work here on the coast is that businesses – all types – budget into their prices an “extra” amount which they can allocate to individuals or businesses which refer business to them. So right off the bat, you can generally negotiate a lower price for almost anything. Take furniture, for example – I have been told by several people that many many furniture stores will pay a 10% commission to anyone who refers business to them. If someone spends 10 or 12k on furniture for their new property, that 10% is a lot of money. So if you are buying furniture, you know that right away  you have room to talk them down at least 10%. And I assume other businesses are similar. That is why I suggested that the person looking for a hire car begin his negotiations on the basis that he is there on his own, to negotiate any built in commission out of the price. And that is why I do not agree with your statement that “the service will cost you the same”.

Now I have no problem paying someone a commission for giving me good information. The knowledge and experience of people like you and Smiley would have saved me TONS of money down here. But I do have a big problem with the lack of transparency here on the coast. So many people offering advice try to cloak it under the mask of “I have learned this the hard way and I just want you to avoid the same mistakes”, when in reality they are “working” their business.

If this is a site where people can share advice and knowledge learned, for the sake of sharing – great!!! If this is a site where people can share advice and knowledge learned for the sake of a small fee – that is great too!!!! I am all for a market economy.

But to be honest – I am a bit confused as to what it is now. On the one hand you do not allow “commercial posts” and on the other you say “I would rather Smiley DID get a portion of the money for his help”.

I honestly do not intend for this post to sound as negative as it probably does. Just tryin to speak candidly.

Merry Christmas to everyone!!

Like 0      
23 Dec 2006 11:50 AM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Smiley,

Please please recommend my "Paying Taxes in Spain" document.

I will increase the commission we have already agreed on if I get loads of requests.......promise!!!

What's today's date?

Oh crikey, sorry, I thought it was April 1st already, press on!

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
23 Dec 2006 3:02 PM by Rose1 Star rating in El Pilar, Estepona. 78 posts Send private message

Rose1´s avatar

Sssshhhhh Fibby the idea is that you dont tell anyone that you are paying me 25% of everything you make - I then recommend it as being a good guide and then people think I  dont have a vested interest - if you tell them you are paying me a commission how can I recommend it as an unbiased contributor! Youve let the cat out of the bag now.

Soljames if I were making anything off the back of any recommendations I make, I wouldnt be so open about it on the forum. I would have PM'd the original enquirer and asked for her telephone number and then made some type of direct contact with Arrow to make sure that she was "registered as my client" and got them to call her - or something along those lines if I were devious enough.

I do see where you are coming from though as there is a lot of it on the coast of Spain. However I also take Justin's point that if by my recommendation the lady could save herself 125€ a month which was what I used to save because of information I have given and I were to make say 25€ she is still 100€ ahead of where she would otherwise be so I would not think anyone was doing anything wrong in that. If everybody benefits then I do not see a problem. We are all in different circumstances so if there is anyone benefiting in that way on the site and it means something to them financially then how long are they going to carry on answering people's questions if it means they lose a source of income that might be invaluable to them - it might be the difference between having internet access or not and if they cant afford the net then they stop answering questions people might have. STOP ..... I am getting on a soapbox now!

Hopefully when you have been a member a little longer you will come to realise that most people who make regular contributions of advice and answer questions or recommend services are not doing it for their own benefit or profit - except in Fibby's case of course but then we have a special deal.

Rgds 

Like 0      
23 Dec 2006 3:16 PM by Rose1 Star rating in El Pilar, Estepona. 78 posts Send private message

Rose1´s avatar

Sorry it was me Smiley that posted that thread but using Mrs Smileys PC so just so that there is no confusion I am owning up and saying that I asked Rose1 to put that post on payment of a commission - dont know what it will be yet - perhaps that I dont stay up till the wee hours posting on this forum on Xmas Eve

Rgds SMILEY

Like 0      
23 Dec 2006 4:36 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

You can't possibly get your "commission" on Xmas Eve, don't forget, I am paying you to be dressed in red, white beard, the lot, to deliver all those pressies on the Costas.

Oh well it's up to you, either payment in kind or a kind of payment, let me know soon, Rudolph's getting restless...................

FibbyUK

Check out my website:

Like 0      
23 Dec 2006 5:33 PM by Sol_james Star rating. 21 posts Send private message

Apparently my posts are being interpreted as a criticism of Smiley, even though I have tried very deliberately to clarify that is not the case. No need to be so sensitive. Let me try a different approach.

Smiley I believe you when you say that you do not collect any commission from your recommendations. I enjoy your posts. I think you impart very useful information which is probably quite useful to many people. Your posts are witty and well written and enjoyable to read. I’m sure you’re a great guy ...... and your parents are proud of you ....... and your dog loves you very much.

Ok – now going forward, this whole discussion about commissions has absolutely nothing to do with you – ok??

Although you were trying to be a bit facetious with the following comment, you do make a good point.

“Sssshhhhh Fibby the idea is that you dont tell anyone that you are paying me 25% of everything you make - I then recommend it as being a good guide and then people think I  dont have a vested interest - if you tell them you are paying me a commission how can I recommend it as an unbiased contributor! Youve let the cat out of the bag now”.

That Sir, does in fact sum up the dichotomy quite nicely. Many people do in fact recommend services and businesses under the guise of not having a vested interest, when in fact they actually do (I am NOT referring to you  Mr Smiley – please refer to 2nd paragragh of this post).

Is there anything wrong with that? Maybe not. As Justin wrote:

“I don't know if Smiley would get some commission or not but if he did, why would that be a problem?”  (Note - he used the name Smiley – not me. As for my views on Smiley, please refer to 2nd paragraph).

But to me, it is a bit inconsistent to delete a post because it is commercial related and then to make the above comment.

Anyway – this discussion seems to have gotten off-track a bit.  My original post to this thread was a simple suggestion to attempt to obtain the lowest quote for services before mentioning that you were referred by someone. If the person who has referred you is not taking any commission from your business, it will make no difference.

Do what you want with that advice.

Good night all and again Merry Christmas.

Like 0      
23 Dec 2006 5:41 PM by san miguel Star rating. 288 posts Send private message

san miguel´s avatar

Everyone has their own point of view here, and I welcome new contributers such as Sol James but not appearing to agree with "main contributers" views should not generate posts that come across as ridicule and sarcasm (even if that was not the intention).

STOP CYBER-BULLYING 

AND PRACTICE WHAT YOU PREACH

Like 0      
23 Dec 2006 7:01 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

I agree, the joke has gone far enough......

Let's call a truce (not sure if that's how to spell it?!)

Happy Christmas everyone.

FibbyUK

Check out my website:

Like 0      
26 Dec 2006 9:27 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar

Hi SolJames - nuff said I have sheathed my barbed blade. The reason for the name drop at Arrow is that while I suspect the difference it would make to the price would be very small, they do know that I am extremely fussy and very quick to take people to task if I feel let down. They were on the wrong end of a rollicking about 15 months ago because a mate of mine collected a car from Malaga airport without a drivers door mirror and filthy dirty inside and out. When he arrived at my house at 11pm at night he was not best pleased (understandably). Instead of the standard return the car to the pick up point and exchange for a new one the replacement was brought out and the exchange took place locally at my insistence. I simply want them to know that it is my recommendation and reputation that is on the line and that it will not go unnoticed if my recommendations do not receive the type of service that I expect to receive. I have about 10 visitors a year that hire cars for varying periods of time and they would prefer to receive the business than not and they know I will be very quick to stop the recommendation if the service is sub-standard.

I think the point Justin makes about commercial posts on the site is that it is blatant advertising that is not encouraged and I agree with both points of view. I agree with you that there is a "commission" culture here but then again if someone can make a few quid through recommending a genuinely good service then I am cool with that. I am in the process of installing a new kitchen and while I can get best prices on the internet I have ordered over 6,000€ worth of appliances from a local store because I know that if there is a problem I wont have to deal with a faceless individual in a call centre in Madrid. Believe you me when one is not fluent Spanish (which I am not) it is much easier to communicate face to face with someone if a complaint is necessary than over the phone because there is every likelihood the person to whom the complaint is being made will likely hang up - Telefonica do it quite frequently. I see those who do make a commission from a recommendation in much the same light as my paying an extra 400€ for service and support that I would not get if I took the best price.

San Miguel I apologise if my humour offends you but irony is my middle name - it is quite clear from many of my threads and you will know that it is a big part of British humour generally all the way back to the time of William Shakespeare - I felt that there was an inference from the original post and clearly I wasnt the only one as Justin responded to it before I did. Frankly I dont really care if someone does think I make a commission but I do reserve the right to respond and inform them of the truth. This is an open forum of which I am proud to be a member and contributor and I have never pulled my punches with remarks that I have made about real estate companies and lawyers etc usually in an "ironic tone" - sorry but I am what I am.

Rgds and hope that one and all have had a great Christmas (said sincerely) and bring on 2007.  

Like 0      
28 Dec 2006 3:34 PM by Matilda Star rating in Marbella. 16 posts Send private message

Matilda´s avatar

Blimey!! Who would have thought i would create such a hoo hah with a simple question about car hire. I am just thankful for the recommendation.

x

Like 0      
28 Dec 2006 3:40 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar

Hi Matilda I thought it was fun - I dont mind a scrap!  Nature of the beast I am afraid having to deal with mortgage lenders and unresponsive lawyers here. 

Did you contact them and did you get a good deal and did they look after you?

Like 0      
29 Dec 2006 11:25 PM by hobby Star rating in Hertfordshire/Estepo.... 155 posts Send private message

hobby´s avatar

Hi Smiley

Having read your responses over a considerable time now over various issues, no matter what any one else's view are we think youre top dollar as far as advise and recommendations are concerned and value your opinions immensely, keep up the good work and sod anyone else, if you think someone is worth recommending good on yer - we certainly appreciate it.

All the best mate and may you and yours have a terrific New Year!

Hobby & wife

Like 0      
30 Dec 2006 1:07 PM by Sol_james Star rating. 21 posts Send private message

I must finally concede to the opinion of my lovely wife of 35 years – she has said many times, “James, you can be sooo thick sometimes”.

According to Smiley, we have just been in a “scrap” – and I had no idea. I must be thick.

And Hobby and Wife – I share your view of Mr Smiley - “no matter what any one else’s view are we think you are top dollar”.

I am not sure if anyone else has different views – but as soon as they make any posts to the contrary – we’ll let em have it, won’t we?

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Sorry another question - 0 posts
Pets in apartments - 5 posts
HELP NEEDED URGENTLY - 20 posts
Making a Will - 3 posts
Property owners at Roda - 4 posts
La Recoleta - 2 posts
FibbyUk's document - Paying taxes in Spain (Non Residents) - 18 posts
Merry Christmas Everyone!!! - 11 posts
amputees in coata blanca, north - 0 posts
Agents for rentals - 1 posts
Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year - 0 posts
Working from home in Spain - 4 posts
Corruption - 2 posts
property in Tenerife - 0 posts
What happened to the OTHER thread ? i thought there were TWO on here before ! - 0 posts
Artificial Grass - Good Idea or not? - 0 posts
Spanish builders - 2 posts
Fuente Aloha, Nueva Andelucia - 5 posts
Condes de Iza - 0 posts
Iznajar - Cordoba - 5 posts
Monarch new route - Gatwick to Murcia from May 2007 - 12 posts
IVA on Bank Guarantees - 0 posts
Select Properties Spain SL - 14 posts
Property Management - 0 posts
BE WARNED - Reservation/Deposit Contracts - 7 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 21

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x