Making a Will

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
20 Dec 2006 12:00 AM by jorksa Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

I have made a will in my home country. I have a property in Puerto Banus and would like to know if it is necessary to make a separate Spanish will to take care of this property.

Any information on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Like 0      
20 Dec 2006 12:55 PM by hobby Star rating in Hertfordshire/Estepo.... 155 posts Send private message

hobby´s avatar

Hi Jorksa

Yes you do need to make a separate spanish will. We have just had ours drawn up by our solicitors in spain, they asked for a copy of our English will and have drawn up a 'codicil' to it . Apparently if you include property in spain in your will back home it isnt acceptable by spanish law, it has to be done out there. Im sure Spanish Inquisition will be able to give a better explanation as to the whys and whatfors, the first thing all our friends with property in spain advised us to do when we completed this year was to get a Spanish will, property doesnt automatically become part of your estate if you should die without one.

Hope this helps, merry christmas

Hobbys wife!

Like 0      
20 Dec 2006 3:34 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar

Hi Jorksa Spanish Inquisition has an office in Banus so I am sure he would be only too happy to help if you need something sorted out when you are next here. While the Spanish will "recognise" wishes in the country of residence where the will is written they can overturn it if you havent made a will here and it will also prove more difficult to distribute the estate. Once a will is written here it has to be Notarised for it to become official and a copy of the will is lodged with the Registrar.

Just on a general note (I am sure SI will advise) if the property is owned with a partner you each own 50% of the asset. Thus on first death there is an Inheritance Tax liability on 50% of the asset. You dont mention your home country, but unlike the UK there is no spousal exemption in Spain and you are deemed tenants in common. In the eyes of the law, technically the property cannot be sold to pay the IHT that is due.

Rgds 

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
21 Dec 2006 7:46 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Please find info on wills here: http://www.costaluzlawyers.es/eng/?p=34

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Property owners at Roda - 4 posts
La Recoleta - 2 posts
FibbyUk's document - Paying taxes in Spain (Non Residents) - 18 posts
Merry Christmas Everyone!!! - 11 posts
amputees in coata blanca, north - 0 posts
Agents for rentals - 1 posts
Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year - 0 posts
Working from home in Spain - 4 posts
Corruption - 2 posts
property in Tenerife - 0 posts
What happened to the OTHER thread ? i thought there were TWO on here before ! - 0 posts
Artificial Grass - Good Idea or not? - 0 posts
Spanish builders - 2 posts
Fuente Aloha, Nueva Andelucia - 5 posts
Condes de Iza - 0 posts
Iznajar - Cordoba - 5 posts
Monarch new route - Gatwick to Murcia from May 2007 - 12 posts
IVA on Bank Guarantees - 0 posts
Select Properties Spain SL - 14 posts
Property Management - 0 posts
BE WARNED - Reservation/Deposit Contracts - 7 posts
Demolition Orders in Marbella - 3 posts
Supermarket shopping in Estepona area - 1 posts
Judge's Chambers Pub - 0 posts
no problems buying in spain - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x