La Recoleta

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
19 Dec 2006 12:00 AM by orda Star rating in Manilva Heights. 203 posts Send private message

orda´s avatar
I came to work in Gibraltar in June 2006, and lived in a company flat in La Linea on the sea front.  At the end of my first week I was mugged by 3 brave Spanish youths as I walked along the front at about midnight, after finishing work.  I was one of many, apparently, and the latest attack on an employee colleague, of near retirement age, left him with a smashed eye socket, 4 broken ribs and stitches in his lips.  As a result all the companies, in Gib,  with employees who have been attacked, have contacted the Mayor of La Linea and he is meeting with those who have been attacked at the Town Hall in La Linea at 1,00pm on Wednesday 20th December to discuss what he is going to do about it.  If you work in Gibraltar, or La Linea, and you have been a victim please try and attend, for all our sakes.

Like 0      
05 Jan 2007 10:02 AM by orda Star rating in Manilva Heights. 203 posts Send private message

orda´s avatar
The meeting with the Mayor of La Linea went very well.  About 20 people turned up, plus 2 members of the Gibraltar Chamber of Commerce, the Mayor and his aides.  Several people were missing due to being unable to swap their shifts, some had left their jobs and the most recently seriously injured person had started a new job that very day.  The Mayor was very receptive and showed real concern.  I think he was surprised at the amount of people present.  Everyone wanted the incident reporting procedures made easier for non-Spanish speaking victims.  The Mayor said new procedures were being looked at but he was adamant that his main goal was to stop these attacks for good.  He had planned a meeting with the Commissioner of the Policia Locale to discuss the matter and was looking at better street lighting in areas of concern and increased police patrols, plus he would speak to the Head of the National Policia (over which he has no authority).  One of the things suggested was CCTV in the streets but apparently this is illegal in Spain.  The general feeling was that the Mayor was genuinely concerned and will do something about it.  He seems to be a dooer and not a blagger, so "fingers crossed".  At the end he shook everone's hand and thanked them for coming.  He certainly seemed to be a lot more receptive and well-mannered than the mayor that Justin had a meeting with.

Like 0      
05 Jan 2007 5:15 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar

Hi Orda pleased to hear that you have a receptive audience. I have been told they are generally trying to tighten up Dodge City sorry meant to say La Linea with the proposals that are ongoing for Gib. There is clearly a likelihood that there is going to be more demand for housing and everything that goes with it as the airport starts to get busier and more commercial. Lets hope that he seriously is a doer and not a thinker.

Keep us posted with your progress -

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

FibbyUk's document - Paying taxes in Spain (Non Residents) - 18 posts
Merry Christmas Everyone!!! - 11 posts
amputees in coata blanca, north - 0 posts
Agents for rentals - 1 posts
Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year - 0 posts
Working from home in Spain - 4 posts
Corruption - 2 posts
property in Tenerife - 0 posts
What happened to the OTHER thread ? i thought there were TWO on here before ! - 0 posts
Artificial Grass - Good Idea or not? - 0 posts
Spanish builders - 2 posts
Fuente Aloha, Nueva Andelucia - 5 posts
Condes de Iza - 0 posts
Iznajar - Cordoba - 5 posts
Monarch new route - Gatwick to Murcia from May 2007 - 12 posts
IVA on Bank Guarantees - 0 posts
Select Properties Spain SL - 14 posts
Property Management - 0 posts
BE WARNED - Reservation/Deposit Contracts - 7 posts
Demolition Orders in Marbella - 3 posts
Supermarket shopping in Estepona area - 1 posts
Judge's Chambers Pub - 0 posts
no problems buying in spain - 2 posts
AIR CONDITIONING - 37 posts
Solar panels, the new law. - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 3

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x