BE WARNED - Reservation/Deposit Contracts

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
13 Dec 2006 12:00 AM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
Hi everybody. Something that has recently come to my attention and seems to be unknown by a great many people is the way one is considered by the tax office regarding payment of deposits and the names on contracts.

I currently have two clients who came to Spain on a viewing trip (approx 2 years ago) who paid their reservation deposits to purchase their dream holiday homes. Nothing unusual in that, except that in both cases the first visit was only one person from each of the couples. This seems to be something that happens fairly frequently and not out of the norm. Both properties are now approaching completion. Both parties have assumed that there has been no problem incorporating the other party onto the contract without incurring additional cost and their legal representatives have been aware of the addition of a name to the contract for some considerable time. However there now appears to be a problem.

Apparently in the eyes of the tax office it is considered that as the reservation deposit and contract was only in one name to add an additional party means that there has been a transfer of 50% of the property value to the second person named and if that is what happens at point of completion, not only will there be 7% IVA to pay on the completion of the off plan purchase but additionally there will be a 7% transfer tax liability for adding the second person to the contract. Apparently the problem arises with the staged payment scenario - when you pay the deposit IVA is charged and the terms of the deal are registered and the IVA paid. Thus Mr Smith is buying at 200,000€ with 7% IVA to be paid. At completion Mr and Mrs Smith are recorded at the Registry and the anomaly arises that there is now another party on the contract - thus Mr Smith must have sold 50% of the property to Mrs Smith for 100,000€. Thus the logic that is followed is that there is the 7% TT to pay on 100k. 

In the opinion of my clients' lawyers there should be no tax liability on the additional party as there was never any intention to do anything other than buy in joint names. My logic would also dictate that to be so. Nonetheless the two different developers in both instances are refusing to sign the contracts unless there is a clause in the contract stating that any additional tax liability is the responsibility of the second party added to the contract. 

I have spoken to three lawyers about this and none of them appear to have been aware of this situation. I am told it is a situation that has always existed and is not new legislation, but until now it has not been enforced. However I am told that inspectors are starting to investigate this and it may be possible that they will retrospectively make a demand for the "unpaid" transfer tax. To date none of the lawyers I have spoken to about it (including the one who brought it to my attention) has actual first hand experience but my view is it is better to shut the door before the horse bolts so forewarned is forearmed. All the more important that one ensures the credentials of one's lawyer and that they are independent.

I am told that the situation has arisen and the authorities are clamping down on it because off plan investors who have sold on contracts prior to completion have not fulfilled their tax obligations hence the tax office are taking a far greater interest in the whole sale process.

It is unlikely to happen with a resale because most resales are sold to joint parties and the procedure is relatively quick and seamless and the 7% transfer tax does not get paid until completion. Any deposit is normally held in a lawyer escrow account until the day of completion and all due taxes are discharged on the day of completion. Thus the tax office effectively only ever sees the finished article - hope that makes sense.

Try to ensure that if you are buying a nearly finished property or off plan that from the point you start paying any monies it is recorded that everything is done in the names of those you want on the purchase deed. 

Rgds

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
13 Dec 2006 1:58 PM by leeabby Star rating in Old Kilpatrick, Glas.... 140 posts Send private message

leeabby´s avatar

Hi Smiley,

Just checking my reservation form and thank goodness, we have both signed it and my friend who is purchasing also both her and her husband have signed it.

What both our husbands do not have their actual name on is the transfer of monies to pay the deposit as this came from my own bank account and I did it in my name through HiFX, therefore although I have sent my lawyer an e-mail confirming the payment has been sent with both of our names on the e-mail, the payment will arrive to his Clients'Account with my name only on it.

Is this okay???

Sharon

Like 0      
13 Dec 2006 5:46 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar

Hi Lee Abby have replied to your PM by PM - let me know if you didnt get it as sometimes they dont seem to go through - either that or people just dont acknowledge receipt.

Rgds

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
21 Dec 2006 1:13 AM by taffyboyo Star rating. 29 posts Send private message

Hi smilie

just a short one, when i put down the first deposit. with Atlas i had three names on the Reservation contract : myself, and my two sons, but one of my sons was home here in the uk so only myself and one of my sons signed it, but they did put all three names on the contract and all our passport numbers , should this be ok?

Regards

Terry

Like 0      
21 Dec 2006 8:30 AM by leeabby Star rating in Old Kilpatrick, Glas.... 140 posts Send private message

leeabby´s avatar

Hi Smiley,

Got your PM on 13/12, thanks for all your help so far, in other threads as well as this one.

Sharon

Like 0      
21 Dec 2006 2:09 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar

You are very welcome Sharon glad to know its of help.

Terry you should be fine as all four of you are named on the reservation contract. Explain your concerns and check with your brief that all names have been transcribed to the Private Purchase Contract as well. If they decide that signatures are likely to be a bureaucratic issue with the developer then get them to send you the paperwork that you can add the signatures. If they tell you that all is in order get them to put it in writing or at least an e mail and keep the e mail just in case there is an issue at completion.  

It seems to be more the developers that are causing the problem currently than anything else as they are worried that Hacienda will pursue them for unpaid IVA. As with many things relating to Spanish bureaucracy a rule has been passed without really thinking through the practical consequences and the developers are bricking it that suddenly they will be hit with unpaid IVA bills that are not their responsibility. I have a developer at the moment that is raising the issue that the reservation deposit came from a sole name credit card (husband and wife) - stupid, illogical and every other word that springs to mind - nevertheless it is currently delaying completion. The people that sold my client the property appear to have washed their hands of it and appear not to want to get involved (why does that not surprise me) but I guess they got paid their commission in 2003 so why should they worry? I guess the downside for them is that the client is buying further property and will not be revisiting that particular firm for any advice - nor will they be using the property management service. When will people learn it is not just about making the sale? Don't they realise that happy clients recommend other clients and it is a competitive market!

Sorry just felt like a whinge - not so Smiley today coz my feet are cold and when my feet are cold it effects my whole disposition! Still the time of year means that we are looking forward to summer again soon! YIPPEE!

Like 0      
21 Dec 2006 6:36 PM by taffyboyo Star rating. 29 posts Send private message

Cheers Smiley

Like 0      
21 Dec 2006 7:37 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Interesting as in the Act which regulates Transfer Tax : Real Decreto Legislativo 1/1993, de 24 de septiembre, por el que se aprueba el Texto Refundido de la Ley del Impuesto sobre Transmisiones Patrimoniales y Actos Jurídicos Documentados it is very clear that the tax accrues on the momemnt of the transmission which is, at every effect, at the moment of signing the deed before a Notary.

I wonder if this actuation by the TAx Office is legal or not. Will put it for consideration with my colleagues.

Happy Christmas!

Maria L. de Castro

www.costaluzlawyers.es

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Demolition Orders in Marbella - 3 posts
Supermarket shopping in Estepona area - 1 posts
Judge's Chambers Pub - 0 posts
no problems buying in spain - 2 posts
AIR CONDITIONING - 37 posts
Solar panels, the new law. - 4 posts
Lawyer Costs - 24 posts
CAPITAL GAINS TAX - 37 posts
Resident - disadvantages? - 1 posts
4X4 Off Road - 0 posts
touristic apartments - 1 posts
Annual Spanish Tax - 63 posts
Nueva Andalucia Deposit - 2 posts
Houses facing small access road - 4 posts
Life and ASU Insurance - 7 posts
Holiday today - 2 posts
Operation Malaya - 8 posts
John 13 left note on Cortijos re Jardines see Jardines de Alhama - 3 posts
spanish gardeners : where do we advertise for them on the Costa del Sol - 3 posts
Escritura - 3 posts
Please could I ask if members would put WHERE they are in Spain on their profile ? - 2 posts
anyone buying in historic city centre in malaga, or via off plan 'terrazas de moclinejo' - 0 posts
New Loans and Mortgages Site - 0 posts
Community commitee - 4 posts
Professional clean?Installation of Sat TV - 22 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x