advice needed for renting my property

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
25 Oct 2009 12:00 AM by coolrunner Star rating in la marina. 91 posts Send private message

coolrunner´s avatar

as i am moving back to the uk,im thinking of renting my property,not sure if i want a long term let or holiday let,can you advice me of the ins and outs of renting and what to be aware of please

Like 0      
25 Oct 2009 4:31 PM by abbbb1 Star rating in Essex and Ciudad Que.... 306 posts Send private message

abbbb1´s avatar

There are so many properties up for rent, that renting itself could be a problem!!

I have just stopped letting my property, mainly because I want to use it a lot more.  I always went for long lets.  I was told at the beginning that if you go for a long let people are more likely to look after the property, whereas when people are only staying for a week or two they are perhaps not quite so careful.. 

If you let your property in the peak times (short let) you get far more for it pro-rata than if you let it for a long period.  However, for a long let you are sure (well almost) of getting money for x-amount of time, whereas a holiday let may only be spasmodic.

You need an agent or a friend to check on the property; make sure that you have a full inventory - and that it gets checked at the end of the each tenancy!!  Hold on to the deposit until you are sure!

I'm sure that other people will have things to add to that - or maybe even different opinions!!

Home
is where the heart is!

Like 0      
25 Oct 2009 10:49 PM by peteranne Star rating in York & Los Montesino.... 111 posts Send private message

peteranne´s avatar

on long term renting:-

rent out for no longer than 11 months at a time.

We have heard it is more difficult to get tenants out on terms of longer than 11 months.

Peter & Anne   -   www.los-montesinos-spain.co.uk

Like 0      
25 Oct 2009 11:53 PM by KP Star rating. 229 posts Send private message

11 months is classed as a short term let in Spain and with it you have rights, after that you would have to offer your tenant a 5 year contract and if they do not look after your property you cannot get them out until the contract ends....... that is the reason there are so many properties left empty in Spain but the Spanish government are looking at this problem at the moment and hopefully some new legistation will be coming into force next year so be carefull and stick to short term letonly with a contract drawn up by your solicitor which the tenant pays for. Good Luck

Like 0      
26 Oct 2009 3:38 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Coolrunner:

Toegether with these articles posted here in EOS:

http://www.eyeonspain.com/spain-magazine/renting-maria6.aspx

A clarification: What makes a contrat a seasonal or a home contract is not the time but the intention. There is a real misconception that is a contract is under 12 months is a seasonal contract and therefore the tenant will not have rights to contract extensions up to a period of five years. IT IS WRONG.

You can sign a contract for 11 or even for 3 months and if you do not explicitly mention that is a SEASONAL contract, your tenant will inmediately have rights for the extension of the rental contract during 5 years + 3 years. Unless you or a descendant needs the house for living purposes, which will have to be proved.

You can sign a contract for 2 years and being stated is a SEASONAL contract, once the 2 years period is over, the contract obligations are all over.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
26 Oct 2009 4:03 PM by peteranne Star rating in York & Los Montesino.... 111 posts Send private message

peteranne´s avatar

Maria

Thank you for clearing up this point on renting contracts.

just shows you the importance of getting good advise.

Peter & Anne   -   www.los-montesinos-spain.co.uk

Like 0      
26 Oct 2009 4:12 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Oh yes!

Lawyer

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
26 Oct 2009 7:35 PM by coolrunner Star rating in la marina. 91 posts Send private message

coolrunner´s avatar

great advice,thankyou very much

Like 0      
26 Oct 2009 9:00 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

As always... a pleasure.

Maria

Lawyer

El blog de Maria

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Seat Ibiza Low KMS FOR SALE - 1 posts
Wanted: 3-month min let in Los Alcazares starting next week! - 1 posts
EMPTY PROPERTY???? FREE ON-SITE SECURITY - 0 posts
Don't forget... Clocks go back tonight!!! - 1 posts
Confiscated iron - 0 posts
EOS Webcam - 1 posts
Legal requirements for mucians - 0 posts
role of the administrator - 1 posts
Estate Agents Commission - 50 posts
Quality Cast Iron Woodburners in Spain ? - 1 posts
Message for "Ken" - 5 posts
Traditional Spanish Antique Furniture Auctions/ shops ? - 0 posts
Of interest for anyone living in Alicante or Murcia regions and wanting an interesting day out! - 0 posts
Gas Heater - 3 posts
Double sofa bed - 0 posts
Marin dor off plan in Tamesna morocco - 40 posts
Breach Of Contract - 1 posts
Swimming Pool Pump for Sale - 0 posts
Villa with large garden wanted for long term rental - 5 posts
Corvera Airport - 2 posts
17 and 18, we want to move to spain, help!? - 10 posts
Any Advice please ?! - 1 posts
Debt Termination Incorporation - 0 posts
Moving to Spain - 1 posts
Daytime home needed for fantastically friendly Weimaraner dog - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x