Vehicle import tax

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
13 Aug 2009 12:00 AM by Max Kite Star rating in Castilléjar, Granada. 308 posts Send private message

Max Kite´s avatar

I was with some friends today trying to sort out the import and "matriculación" of their car onto Spanish plates.  All is done, no problem, but the import tax is 800€. 

I was given to understand that taxing products that have been imported from other EC member countries (where all taxes were paid) was illegal under EC regulations.

The British Consulate were unable to give any advice at all.

Are we back with the problem of the EC - "mucho ruido, poco nueces" = "lots of noise but not many nuts".

Can anyone please advise?

This message was last edited by Max Kite on 13/08/2009.

Like 0      
13 Aug 2009 7:22 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

What's this tax called in Spanish? Are you sure it's not matriculation rather than import?

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
13 Aug 2009 8:54 PM by Max Kite Star rating in Castilléjar, Granada. 308 posts Send private message

Max Kite´s avatar

Hi Roberto

Long time, no talk.  Delighted you're still posting and giving sensible advice on many issues.

Yes, it is matriculación.  It comes off the valuation tables that you referred to in another thread regarding import from Florida.

The issue is, this is a tax - you can call it what you like (used to be "purchase tax" in the '60s), VAT, IVA, Registration tax, carbon tax.  Having a poncy car tax.  At the end of the day, does a Spaniard who imports his SEAT into the UK pay tax over and above standard DVLA fees?

If I buy a deep freezer in France and bring it to Spain (with a receipt) then Spain can't say "excuse me, you owe us 16% IVA" because it was paid in an EU member state.

Am I missing something here?

Like 0      
13 Aug 2009 10:42 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

The point is, it is not IVA / VAT, nor purchase tax, nor import duty, but a first registration fee. If you buy a new car in Spain, you pay it. if you bring a car from another country and want to register it in Spain, you pay it. Your Spaniard importing his SEAT into the UK goes through the same sh*t. You call it "standard DVLA fees". A friend of mine recently returned to the UK to live, taking his 8 year old Kangoo with him. It cost him (apart from a lot of time, stress and hassle) £1000 to get it fully registered and legal in the UK. (info on importing to UK here)

Poncy car tax is about right. Welcome to the new Europe.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
13 Aug 2009 11:18 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

£1000 pounds?  Good Lord, that must have needed some pretty extensive modifications.

I imported a car from Cyprus (luckily, they drive on the left there) which was a Nissan Primera made in Japan.  It cost me 50 quid to register the car and, as I had had the car over 3 years, there was no import tax or duty to pay (Cyprus was not in the EU then).  In addition, just the normal MOT and that was it.  I imagine the extra was for lights to be changed to dip to the left etc

Importing a car to UK from another EU state (duty paid) imposes no fees at all except the initial registration fee which is now £55.  Bit of a difference to the amount charged in Spain.  If that initial registration fee (matriculation?) is €800 then that might explain why cars are so expensive in Spain.

Oh, and no hassle at all.  Even though I'd purchased the car duty free in Cyprus, if it had been new I would have had to pay 10% of the value of the car (as it was then outside the EU).  Simply sent the MOT cert and the fifty quid to Swansea and got the V5 in a couple of days.

This message was last edited by bobaol on 13/08/2009.

Like 0      
14 Aug 2009 12:27 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Not just the lights - the speedo too, which means the dash has to come out. Yes, most of the expense was for modifications I imagine, and yes, the hefty mat tax may be why cars are expensive in Spain.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
14 Aug 2009 1:18 PM by delza Star rating. 77 posts Send private message

Hi Max,

As mentioned it is not import duty it is a first registration tax.  However, if you've owned the car for longer than six months and you're doing it within the right time frame then you should not be paying this tax at all.

We used this FAQ when registering ours and we did not pay any first registration tax!

URL: tinyurl.com/qkea6w

We did however have to pay for new headlights and tail light and someone to fit them.

Hope this helps.

This message was last edited by delza on 14/08/2009.

Like 0      
14 Aug 2009 4:19 PM by Max Kite Star rating in Castilléjar, Granada. 308 posts Send private message

Max Kite´s avatar

Thankyou delza.

The problem is that they are outside of this time frame, and there is proof (e.g. padron) that they have been here a while.

I posted a reply this morning, but it seems to have got lost in the system. 

Basically, what Roberto said about Welcome to the new Europe" = EXACTLY.

We should all decide whether we are going to be a group of trading nations with zero tariffs, or we are going to be one big happy country, i.e. the United States of Europe.  At the moment, it is all just a total mess, health, social services, transport and vehicle registration.  Why haven-t all of these things been sorted out?  Lord knows we pay the MEPs enough. 

Like 1      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Spanish courses in Valencia?? - 1 posts
spanish Courses in Valencia?? - 3 posts
Do I need a license to rent out my apartment? Valencia region - 22 posts
help required - 2 posts
% Spanish Property Drop Since Sept 2008 - 1 posts
Ban on 'Speedos'.................. - 11 posts
TAPAS RECOMMENDATIONS - 0 posts
Wealth Tax Help!! - 7 posts
New Post Alerts - 8 posts
I love lidl - 2 posts
This made me laugh - 8 posts
Apostille and Embassy Legalization on Buying Property - 4 posts
More flights to Spain for those of us Oop North!! - 3 posts
Power of atturney - 1 posts
Villa in Benalmadena/La Carihuela - 4 posts
Moving to spain in 9 months - 12 posts
SELLING AND CHANGING OWNERSHIP OF SPANISH CAR - 2 posts
Moving to Madrid..but don't have a clue! - 1 posts
Help! The grout in my pool is going black! - 4 posts
Buying a spanish reg car before moving to spain - 15 posts
Building Insurance wiht Mapfre - 7 posts
Parking at Marbella Bus Station - 4 posts
Blogs - 4 posts
german shepherd type dog looking for home in Cadiz - 0 posts
Building Work in Spain - 5 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x