San Juan question

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
19 Jun 2009 12:00 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Can anybody tell me what the origins are?

Susan

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
19 Jun 2009 1:06 PM by Nati Star rating in Manilva (Costa del .... 237 posts Send private message

to celebrate the San Juan Bautista´s birthday. He used to christen and he also christened Jesus. This night water becomes purified and can cure. That´s why people go to the beach.

I found this related to San Juan: http://www.manati.info/eventos/fest/san_juan.htm

Have a look Susan

Ana Sánchez. PGCE, MA & BA(Hons)

Teaching and Translation Services

Like 0      
19 Jun 2009 1:07 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

19 Jun 2009 1:13 PM by Nati Star rating in Manilva (Costa del .... 237 posts Send private message

It is celebrated in different ways depending on the area but it is considered a magical night where you have to make wishes and they will become true. That´s the way I have lived it as I did not use to live near the beach when I was little

Like 0      
19 Jun 2009 1:19 PM by Nati Star rating in Manilva (Costa del .... 237 posts Send private message

Susan,

this is another article related to San Juan how it is celebrated in different areas

http://www.consumer.es/web/es/alimentacion/en_la_cocina/menus_especiales/2006/06/22/153185.php

Like 0      
21 Jun 2009 2:12 PM by J&N Star rating in Nottinghamshire. 342 posts Send private message

J&N´s avatar

Hi Susan

We're all getting our plans together for partying on Tuesday night for our San Juan festival here in Terreros. Last year there were lots of families having picnics on the beach around bonfires,  a huge crowd dancing on the beach to a DJ and the whole atmosphere is just wonderful - it's seems to be the official start to our summer tourist influx - and hopefully the weather will be good to us and we can all enjoy it - some even throwing themselves into the see at midnight to cleanse themselves for the coming year - me? no, I'll do it in spirit only, thanks!

An extract from my blog:

23rd / 24th June - Night of San Juan. Certain festivals seem to summarize life in Spain, with its love of having a good time in the company of friends and loved ones. The Night of San Juan is one such of these events. It is a celebration that is usually held on the beach with roaring bonfires, drink, food, and friends. It can be a memorable, almost surrealistic scene and one that needs to be experienced.

June 24th. The date remains a magical night in much of the northern hemisphere. Mythology states that strange occurrences can occur on this shortest night of the year. Certain pagan gods, for instance, make themselves visible during this night and we mere humans also give thanks and realise that the seasons of harder times are about to come.

So welcome to the magical night of San Juan. San Juan is about changes. It is about night to day; it is about fire to water. Fire purifies and water recuperates, refreshes, and rejuvenates

In Andalucia, San Juan is celebrated on the night of June 23rd with some towns, allowing the beaches to be used as campsites for a single night. On the beaches it’s common to see people jumping over fires which, according to legend, cleanse the body and the soul. Jumping in the sea at midnight is supposed to be a way to wash away evil spirits.

Jacqui

http://relocatetospain.blogspot.com our adventure from deciding to move to Spain to being here and moving back to the UK.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

I cannot wait for the next siesta show - 0 posts
cig prices !!!! - 0 posts
how to get pitch at sabi market - 5 posts
Handing over/ Signing up - 0 posts
price in gibraltar - 3 posts
Advice about refreshing a Legal Embargo please - 2 posts
Wanted, Sun Loungers. - 5 posts
METAL BUNK BED - 0 posts
Increase In Tobacco Prices - 33 posts
Notary Appointment - 1 posts
Lawyer Wanted - 1 posts
looking for somewhere to stay in La Marina, weel in September, maybe long term permantly next year... - 0 posts
CAR HIRE - 17 posts
foreign plates and foreign licences - 1 posts
Bus and Train fares. - 3 posts
Cheap car wanted - 2 posts
rogue builder made repairs - 0 posts
alloy wheel refurb - 0 posts
Fed Ex collection and or mail box - 2 posts
Ambasun - 0 posts
Is it the heat? - 9 posts
property maintenance - 0 posts
property maintenance - 2 posts
moveing to spain advice welcome - 2 posts
Getting rid of scumbags - 6 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x