Health certificate for driving

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
26 May 2010 5:30 PM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

That's the point if you are non-resident then you do not need to comply with rules applicable to residents.

That means you do not need med cert.

But don't drive on a provisional licence as Spain does not have provisional licences etc.

If you are resident then you should comply with rules applicable to residents regardless of which country issued your licence.

Like 0      
26 May 2010 7:28 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

The confusion over driving licences is in part linked to the general confusion over residency. There seems to be a refusal by some to accept that if you move to and live full time in a foreign country, you can no longer be resident in the UK as well; it's one or the other. Of course, if you are a tourist, i.e. not resident in Spain, then your UK licence, so long as it is current and valid under the terms of the issuing authority (DVLA) is perfectly acceptable. But if you are a resident of Spain, you are a resident of Spain and nowhere else.

Perhaps looking at the reverse situation would help. If I move to the UK permanently, I can continue to drive on my Spanish licence as long as it complies with the same conditions as if it had been issued in the UK. That means I can use it "provided it remains valid",  and for 3 years or until I'm 70 (whichever is the longest). Since Spanish licences only have a validity of 10 years up to age 45 and 5 years from 45 to 70, at some point I am obviously going to have to "renew" my licence for a UK one. I could return to Spain to renew it, using a flase address (i.e. one at which I am not resident) but that doesn't make much sense. Of course, I could exchange my Spanish licence for a UK one as soon as I want to, which is exactly what I would do. I have no particular emotional attachment to my Spanish licence, and I know that having a UK licence in the event of getting stopped by the police in the UK, will avoid any possible confusion.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Builders Warranty - 16 posts
search partner for goodbusiness! - 0 posts
Hi all From Cornwall UK - 0 posts
Diggers! - 1 posts
estate agent in almerimar - 1 posts
Transport available from Torrevieja area to UK. - 0 posts
Problem with accessing "My Community Forums" - 2 posts
LOOKING FOR EQUIPMENT AND FURNITURE NEW PROPERTY - 0 posts
Monarch Airlines and Birmingham/Manchester Airports into Almeria - 0 posts
Car alarm bird! - 1 posts
handing keys back - 7 posts
Mozilla Firefox 3.010 wont allow me to log on, but IE7 does - help!!! - 4 posts
Murcia Furniture - 20 posts
moving back to scotland... - 1 posts
Transferring my Vespa Scooter from Scotland to Los Montesinos Spain - 2 posts
Villapac gone into liquidation - 11 posts
living on a finca ? - permaculture. any advice ? - 5 posts
Selling by Power of attourney - 7 posts
british builders - 1 posts
How do you get snagging done post completion? - 23 posts
car hire, petrol tank full out/full back - 15 posts
Mr @Mrs L - 0 posts
Selling privately - 2 posts
shop share needed , costa region's a few hours per day. - 0 posts
shop space needed in costa del sol area. - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 22

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x