Anyone run a market stall?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
28 Oct 2008 12:00 AM by Rymski Star rating. 35 posts Send private message

We are hoping to move to Spain next year, it will 4 years before I'm 65 and can collect my full pension. At the moment am in receipt of a small early retirement pension, could have just about survived on it before the collapse of pound v euro.

In view of this, we will need to supplement our income. Wondered about running a small market stall and going from village to village on market days. Just wondered if anyone else was doing this successfully? What's involved - do you need licences etc?

We've not done anything like this in the UK, but hope to make use of my photographic/ computing skills and would have a stall selling CDs, DVDs, computer spares, printer inks, photo paper, tourist pictures etc, hopefully in the Murcia/ Torrevjeca area.

Comments as to the viability/ what to do or not to do appreciated.

Finally, if the worst comes to worst and we can't earn any money, is possible to claim unemployment benefit if living and resident in Spain?

Thanks

Like 0      
28 Oct 2008 3:56 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
To run a  market stall you certainly need a licence, and each town hall will issue them for markets within their jurisdiction, so going from village to village would probably involve a lot of red tape - and that's if there are any pitches available even. Car boot sales may be easier, but you won't be allowed to sell new stock at them. 

There are no govt. handouts for those who have not previously been employed in Spain. Also, you will not automatically be entitled to free health care until you reach retirement age. 

You need to do plenty of research on this type of thing before making the move. Fortunately, you've come to the right place to start asking questions!

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
28 Oct 2008 4:09 PM by lifeline Star rating in Murcia. 365 posts Send private message

lifeline´s avatar

Markets run weekly in most towns and villages. They are very popular and are always busy. I am sure that i have read on this site that a licence is needed.

There is a lot of info here on the cost of living which would be worth looking at. Remember to include health insurance and budgeting for taxes which are very different from the U.K.

Never heard of unemployment benefit for expats but someone else might comment on that.

Best wishes

Daveil

Like 0      
28 Oct 2008 5:06 PM by rash29 Star rating in Hurchillo, Orihuela.. 77 posts Send private message

rash29´s avatar

Hi Rymski

You definitely cannot get unemployment benefits here unless you have been paying into the social security system for a few years. I cannot remember exactly how many years you have to pay into the system. 
For the country it's great as the government don't allow immigrants/foreigners to claim benefits unlike the UK. Unfortunately, for us we cannot get any benefits. 

You defintely need a licence for a market stall and I heard that the waiting lists are huge. You cannot organise all of this from the UK. You have to be here. Maybe, you could do something else?

I won't lie but it is hard to find a job, I was 29 when I moved last November, now I am 30 and still no job after living here for a year. I have applied for several jobs, there are so little jobs on the costa blanca. Fortunately, my husband has a good contracted job, so we both get healthcare now. Like Roberto says you won't get any healthcare here until you retire. If you are lucky enough to get a contracted job then your employer will pay the social security contributions on your behalf.
There are bar/restaurant jobs, but if you live away from the coast and don't want to do that job then you are limited.

You might find this website useful regarding benfits/pensions. www.seg-social.es/Internet_6/index.htm?ssUserText=

Good luck!

Like 0      
17 May 2011 5:59 PM by steve&hayley Star rating. 33 posts Send private message

Does anyone really know what you need to run a market stall,

I have done it in uk for 20 years now need some sun, just need to know what  i need and were it comes from

OH and how mutch it costs

does anyone know what other markets appart from lemon tree have loades of english visite them

Thanx

Steve

Like 0      
19 May 2011 10:35 AM by rash29 Star rating in Hurchillo, Orihuela.. 77 posts Send private message

rash29´s avatar

I am not sure about what you need, I presume an Nie, padron and residency for starters, you need to apply for a licence at the town hall. It isn´t easy. There are long waiting lists. The markets sell everything. I think the stalls are about 1000E a month, really not sure.  You would need to make a trip out here and find out from the town hall.

Zoco market is popular with the Brits.

Like 0      
19 May 2011 1:58 PM by deniseann Star rating. 18 posts Send private message

prob not correct forum for this but

My husband retires in 2 years time and will get state pension

I am younger so do not qualify for pension yet - being 55

We like to retire to Spain when he retires then he will take his UK pension with him but what about health care?

I have  a long term helath problem which I have to attend hospital regularly for - once my hsuband is retired will I get health care as in UK or is it payable for or free?  as I will be a long way off pension not sure if he will get a single rate pension or one for me too as I am disabled

so therefore am I entitled to free or low price health care based on my husband receiving state UK pension?

Like 0      
19 May 2011 4:10 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Totally wrong thread, market stalls don't typically do healthcare, so have a search for healthcare in Spain and you will find your answers; but briefly, yes if your husband is in receipt of a UK state pension he will qualify for free healthcare on the social security system and you will qualify as his dependant.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Illegal President? - 8 posts
Favourite Spanish songs - 61 posts
Exchange rate €1-15/£ - 1 posts
Help! reposesion threat - 1 posts
Reposesion in Spain - 2 posts
B&Q / BRICO DEPOT in Crevillente soon - 10 posts
Flatmate wanted - Costa del Sol - 0 posts
Key Lounges - 24 posts
Leaking pitched roofs - 3 posts
Costaconsoles. Mazarron - 2 posts
Santander Bank - 1 posts
Swap 2 bedroom townhouse Murcia - 0 posts
Monday morning giggle - 3 posts
Esoteric healing - 0 posts
Living in Real Spain - 9 posts
Painting Holidays - 6 posts
Driving a Scooter in Spain - 7 posts
No Water - 4 posts
im in hospital - 6 posts
impoting terrace furniture - 0 posts
deeds - 3 posts
deeds - 0 posts
Huma: Interest and Compensation or just your money back! - 1 posts
Costa Blanca North - 0 posts
Free guides to buying a property, healthcare/pensions and taxation issues in Spain - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x