Mums and tots, Dads and tots, Friendship in Spain, lonely in Spain.

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
02 Sep 2008 12:00 AM by twinmummy Star rating in Formentera del segur.... 82 posts Send private message

Hi there,

You probably dont think it can be possible to be lonely in Spain as the Spanish are such friendly people, however when you get here and settle into your new life style, you soon realise that you have very few people around you that speak English, can support you with concerns of your children and just some one to talk to who does not speak baby language.

I love my two children to bits and enjoy spending every minute with them, but I now realise that you need to share your experiences and some one else to enjoy your children as much as you do.  Although I have a lovely husband who gets involed with the babies as much as he can, he does not get home until 7pm -  7:30pm, so it can be a long lonely day.  When my husband does get back from work he needs to shower and I dont blame him for wanting to spend every minute that he has left with his babies, so what has happend during the day with them usual passes by and I often forget to mention my proud moments and my babies  achievements.

Anyway I have settled ok in Spain, it s a lovely place and so are the Spanish people, but I remember how lonely it is at the begining when you are trying to find your feet, but also more so now realising that everyone around you do not speak a lot of Spanish or are near/over retirement age, therefore no young children involved.

I feel that there is a definate need for people like myself to meet up with other people of a similar age with young children.

So here is what I suggest, if you are in the same position as me, reply to this thread and we can have a chat or arrange to  meet up as a group or on an individual basis, (a park, bar, Town square or any other place you can think of) If this hits off, then I will find where people can get too and see if we can set up regular meeting and maybe form some kind of mums and tots group.

Any replies, ideas, information would be much appreciated, and lets hope I can help other people at the same time as aking friends my self.

Many thanks

Twinmummy

Like 0      
02 Sep 2008 9:29 PM by Rob in Madrid Star rating in Madrid. 274 posts Send private message

Rob in Madrid´s avatar
this is from another thread

That said, if/ when I finally move to Spain to live I would want it to be where I can indulge in the local customs, and join in the language, a smaller version of Britain is not what I would be looking for.

Not for me, I prefer to live in an English bubble. I find it too difficult to learn a language. I'm happy that English is the universal language. Part of it is I spent 8 years in Germany and got good at the language and am finding it difficult to motivate myself to learn another one.

no english is for me

Decided after all I don't like Spanish TV, that is having compared both.

Like 0      
03 Sep 2008 11:25 AM by twinmummy Star rating in Formentera del segur.... 82 posts Send private message

Hi Rob,

I do agree that we should all get involved with local customs and learn the language,I think it is very important in fact, But I know it is also very difficult bring up children in a forigen country, this is hopefully an idea to help people like myself settle in and to share experiences.

There is no harm in having them run side by side, I think this will also help educate our children in many many ways

Thanks anyway

Twinmummy 

Like 0      
03 Sep 2008 7:10 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

Hi Twinmummy

I hope you get lots of interest, also I have noticed in the past adverts in the Costa Blanca News classifieds for similar groups. It is a very  brave thing to move to a new country and the help and support of fellow ex pats can be invaluable in helping you settle in to the local ways and customs, I speak from experience!! Of course it doesn't mean you don't want to integrate, but a little help goes a long way and before you know it you'll be the old hand and helping other newcomers. 

Best of luck.

Poppyseed

Like 0      
03 Sep 2008 7:41 PM by twinmummy Star rating in Formentera del segur.... 82 posts Send private message

Hi poppyseed,

Many thanks for you post, unfortunatly it does not seem to be that popular, but I will definatley have a look on Costa Blancas News website like you suggested, and I do hope you are right, that I will be able to help other newcomers.

I want to intergrate if I didnt I would have stayed in England, I love Spain for the people as much as the country, You are absoultly right about expats being there for help and support, but Spanish people are MORE than welcome to join me/us. I will have to translate their messages thats all. (not a problem). Not only I am in a new coutry for the first time I am also a first time mummy, and they are twins, so support advice and friendship will be so good for me.
Many thanks

Twinmummy

Like 0      
13 Sep 2008 3:54 PM by grumps Star rating. 11 posts Send private message

HI TWINMUMMY
I AM LOOKING TO MOVE TO SPAIN IN AROUND 18 MONTHS AND HAVE 2 YOUNG KIDDIES AGED 3YRS AND 9MTHS
I AM WORRIED THAT IT MIGHT BE SUCH A BIG MOVE FOR THEM AND WONDERING WHETHER I SHOULD WAIT TILL THEY ARE A LITTLE OLDER
I SPOKE TO SOMEONE WHO SAID U MIGHT BE ABLE TO GIVE ME ADVICE AS U HAVE YOUNG KIDDIES YOURSELF
PLEASE HELP
MANY THANKS

GRUMPS

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Mums and tots, Dads and tots, Friendship in Spain, lonely in Spain. - 25 posts
Mums and tots, Dads and tots, Friendship in Spain, lonely in Spain. - 0 posts
Repossession - 37 posts
Renewed attacks in La Linea - 2 posts
Hot Property! IT professional moving to Spain. Limited offer - 0 posts
Hello from Portugal - 1 posts
Boletins - 1 posts
Empployment Offers - 2 posts
Amba Sun - 3 posts
Benalmadena Pueblo or Torreblanca? - 2 posts
Sound advice - 0 posts
can i use my uk driving licence in spain permenently?? - 16 posts
I plan to start a business in Spain sooooooon! - 16 posts
Travel Insurance? - 4 posts
Iberbanda & Telefónica - 4 posts
Help me make the right decision - 6 posts
125cc Scooter for sale - 7 posts
new owners - 1 posts
Toyota Corolla Verso 2.2 D4D Sport 177cv For Sale - 0 posts
Want to move to Spain but have a brain tumour! - 11 posts
Key Holder/cleaner - 1 posts
Employment in Spain (Around Malaga Area) - 4 posts
2,000 Picture Frames for Sale - Start New Business in Spain??? - 0 posts
Proxy voting at the AGM or EGM - 37 posts
Problems with Furniture and Interiors Company, Mijas - 14 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x