Employment in Spain (Around Malaga Area)

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
31 Aug 2008 12:00 AM by stainsby Star rating in Spain. 14 posts Send private message

My husband and I are considering moving to the Andalucia area in the next 2 years, we currently live in a small hamlet in Derbyshire area (which is very rural)  We are looking for a rural area that is not far from a village, we are  interested in the Comares, Competa, areas, can anyone advise me on on these?

We will be looking to work and are starting to learn the lingo now, I work in the recruitment industry (11 years telesales/ consultative sales experience) and my husband is in sales and works in the parcel/courier industry.  Would we have a better chance of seeking work in the Malaga area? We will have enough savings hopefully not to work for 2 years, but dont ideally want to wait this long  I would get bored doing nothing after 3 months max!!!! 

We do appreciate that the salaries are a lot lower in Spain, but have been told that a couple can live comfortably for 1,400 - 1,600 euros per month? (We would only have a small spanish mortgage if any) and would tend to go out at weekends.

I know that is hard to give a figure as each individuals spending criteria is different, but we are just trying to get a ball park figure

Like 0      
31 Aug 2008 6:46 PM by Lindie Star rating in Andalucia. Velez-Mal.... 23 posts Send private message

Malaga would be your best bet for employment.

Competa is nice but its a long windy road to get there. Can't do it myself, as I get too car sick on hills. It would take a good 30 mins to get down to the motorway and longer if you are stuck behind something slow.

I don't know Comares.

If you are thinking of looking for work in Malaga, the motorway on the eastern side, where you are looking, is a very good road, usually without too much traffic so you could probably look inland anywhere along the stretch from Malaga to Torrox. From Torrox to Malaga would take about 40 mins by car, so you would need to add on however long it takes to reach the motorway.

There are some lovely places in the area. Let me know if you need any help in finding somewhere to stay while you are looking as I could recommend a few places.

Good luck.

Like 0      
31 Aug 2008 7:17 PM by stainsby Star rating in Spain. 14 posts Send private message

Thanks for that Lindie, 

After speaking to a number of individuals i know that you have to have enough money behind you toi fall back on, which hopefully we will have, and finding employment is difficult but we are prepared to take any work to bring the money in. One thread on here said that it can take up to TWO YEARS to find work, that seems an awful long time if you are not too fussy what you do. I have been in touch with the local recruitment agencies and they are saying if you are flexible and have a basic understanding of spanish that you can usually find work within a 6-12 month period????  

I know that we will have to make the move first so we can put a spanish address and NIE number on our CV etc,  I may even think about  working independently as a Permanent Recruitment Consultant over there, but I think if I could I would prefer working for an employer.

Regards
Mandy
x  

Like 0      
02 Sep 2008 1:40 AM by Rob in Madrid Star rating in Madrid. 274 posts Send private message

Rob in Madrid´s avatar
Unfortunatly Spain is heading into a serious recession and the pound is getting weaker, both which are having a knock on effect on the economy which of course makes it harder to find work. It would be best if you could telecommute or something to that effect.

Decided after all I don't like Spanish TV, that is having compared both.

Like 0      
02 Sep 2008 3:02 PM by stainsby Star rating in Spain. 14 posts Send private message

Hi Rob,

If we do decide to relocate it wont be for a couple of years anyway, so hoefully thinks maybe a little better, I have contacted a few recruitment agencies in Spain that have asked me to contact them nearer the time with a view to offering me a partnership. Do you advise having enough money put aside for 12 months to give us a cushion?

Regards

Mandy 

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

2,000 Picture Frames for Sale - Start New Business in Spain??? - 0 posts
Proxy voting at the AGM or EGM - 37 posts
Problems with Furniture and Interiors Company, Mijas - 14 posts
Breakdown of flight costs - 1 posts
singer - 0 posts
Singer required - 1 posts
Marbella Court protects a promoter who sold illegal floors - 2 posts
Moped Wanted - 1 posts
Problems with Ryanair website - 2 posts
Holiday home owners warned they buy at their own risk - 0 posts
Question for Georgia (or anyone else that can answer) - 0 posts
TELMICRO BACK? - 24 posts
Community fees - expected to pay more! - 13 posts
ESCRITURA - 20 posts
Help with postage, posting a letter. - 6 posts
Jacuzzis/Hot Tubs - 17 posts
title deed - 5 posts
mobile homes - 1 posts
mortgage protection - 9 posts
doyouspain.com vs carjet.com - 14 posts
how do we go about getting all of our deposit back - 5 posts
ME TOO ! ! - 0 posts
GMTV: We're looking for expat families... - 0 posts
Unfurnished Duplex availabe for long term rent - 5 posts
FOR SALE: LHD FORD FOCUS GHIA 1.8 TDCi - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x