Internet Modem, called a dongel through the Orange Network, for just 6 euros a month + a 2 euro connection charge

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
13 Jul 2008 12:00 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Georgia was posting ages ago about something like this I recall but can I find the thread ? 

Anyway, I saw this in another forum  & thought it may help our members. It was posted on 28/05/2008 so current info. The Haberneras Centre is ( between Torrevieja & Quesada along the Crevillente road) behind Carrefour supermarket, by the way, for those who don't know it.

I am so pleased, I can now sit here in my Villa and get onto the internet - yippee!! and no phone line needed.

I have purchased an Internet Modem, called a dongel through the Orange Network, for just 6 euros a month + a 2 euro connection charge.

How brilliant, and so much cheaper than having a phone line and broadband.

I got it from The Phone House in the Habanaras, near Carraforre and the staff were fantasitic, as they sorted out my laptop for me and loaded the Orange CD on for me and got me up and running - very impressed.

The only problem I am having is getting onto MSN Messenger, but hopefully I will sort that.

Like 0      
13 Jul 2008 1:07 PM by scampi Star rating in London & Alfaix nr. .... 91 posts Send private message

scampi´s avatar
On the Orange web-site the best deal I can see is a free dongle at €39 a month with the first 3 months free!

Like 0      
13 Jul 2008 1:08 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar
There is an Orange shop in Vera, in the block next to the Intermarche. I will be looking in there next week, although a new wi- fi service is supposed to be going live n the area next month.

Mark

Like 0      
13 Jul 2008 1:12 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Hi Scampi

I thought it was cheap but anyone can check it out , if in that area, at The Phone House.  Worth going & asking for yourselves. 

I could post on the other forum to ask further but what I could ask is debatable unless I infer she's a liar.  Also, I don't post on there these days & don't want to really though I watch threads.

Like 0      
13 Jul 2008 1:26 PM by scampi Star rating in London & Alfaix nr. .... 91 posts Send private message

scampi´s avatar
I'm gonna be in my new house near Los gallardos in August and I'm keen on any info regarding good internet deals and would love to be up and running, cheaply, for August if possible!

Like 0      
13 Jul 2008 1:45 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
I've emailed the poster asking for more info, I'll post if she gets back to me.

Like 0      
13 Jul 2008 1:58 PM by scampi Star rating in London & Alfaix nr. .... 91 posts Send private message

scampi´s avatar
cheers thanks for that

Like 0      
13 Jul 2008 10:11 PM by jane b Star rating in Bedar, Almeria. 222 posts Send private message

jane b´s avatar

If the Orange deal is anything like the Movistar one you get very little download for your money - it can run away with cash very quickly.  Movistar have several different deals.  One is a €1 a day for 10mb download, connecting your computer via a 3G phone.  You only pay on the days you connect, but 10mb is very little.  We tried it experimentally and all you can do for that is check your emails and send the odd one. . I think you need a regular (phone) contract with it to start with but the phone itself comes free if you transfer from another provider.  Then there is a more generous deal via a modem which costs about €40 a month and then there is an all bells and whistles one for €65 ish.   

Vodafone do a better deal at €39 a month which includes all Spanish landline calls and calls to Vodafone mobiles (not sure about to other networks). Again a contract is required.

Both of the above can be found at the respective websites.  www.vodafone.es and www.movistar.es

As Marksfish says, there is a microwave system  hopefully coming soon but I dont know if it will reach you as they are concentrating on the more populated areas of Mojacar and Vera. (it is via Europa Digital and they say it will be much less expensive than Iberbanda which costs €45 a month including IVA for not very fast broadband).  We have the Iberbanda system because that was all that was available when we were desperate.  I am pretty sure that there would be one of their transmitters that you could see from where you are.  You get a phone option with it but it is not that reliable.

www.fincalaserenidad.com

Like 0      
14 Jul 2008 1:46 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
I said I'd post if I heard back from the poster on the other forum though it doesn't say anything & I don't want to press her.  The forum is hers & she's unhappy with me not posting these days on it.

She wrote ..

I puchased the dongle from 'The Phone Shop' in the Habaneras, near the Carrafour.

There were quite a few different rates, but I just went for the cheapest.

No charge for the purchase, 6 euros a month, whether I use it or not, and then 2 euros each time I connect, but I could stay connected all day then if I wanted to.

It is on the orange network and I have set up a Direct Debit through the Halifax Banco Hispania.

Maybe she isn't using it much & maybe unaware of other costs, I don't know. Are there other costs ??? 

All this is new to me & I don't know what's involved, unlike Mark & Jane & others on this forum.

Like 0      
14 Jul 2008 4:06 PM by jane b Star rating in Bedar, Almeria. 222 posts Send private message

jane b´s avatar

I  have now visited the Orange site and I think I understand.

The €6/month plus €2 when you connect gets you up to 1Gb per month and then you pay €4 per 100Mb if you go over.  You can get a similar deal for €29 per month, no connection charge (so better deal if you are here all the time).   

Then there is the option of no limit for €39 , but when you get to 5Gb the speed drops from an astonishing 3.6Mbps to 128kbps.  I assume all these are plus IVA.   As I am a technoprat I do not know how to compute the difference of 10Mb at €1 per day (Movistar) vs 1Gb per month at €2 per day connected plus €6 (Orange).  Perhaps someone can help me??  The €29 and 39 deals currently have a special offer till end July of €15 for first 3 months.  Contracts are for 18 months.

You can have a complete Tarifa Plana for €57 pmonth inc IVA which in addition to internet connection gets you all calls to mobiles between 18.00 and 08.00.  You can add another €7 and get all Spanish landline calls.  Mobile calls outside the off peak are charged at about €0.21 per minute plus connection. It does not say if you get charged the connection fee on the off-peak or the landline stuff.

Here is the link:  http://movil.orange.es/especial/interneteverywhere/index_plana.html

For someone who lives here all the time and has no land line the last option is probably the best but it is worth also looking at Vodafone who do something similar for €49 (plus IVA I think).  They say the speed is 3Mbps,  but it only includes calls to landlines.

Is that as clear as mud?

This message was last edited by jane b on 7/14/2008.

www.fincalaserenidad.com

Like 0      
14 Jul 2008 4:11 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Is that as clear as mud?

Definitely to More, it is, Jane

Thanks for explaining as I realise others will understand it, the way you tell it.

Like 0      
14 Jul 2008 4:41 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar
I have been having an email discussion with Jane about the data transfer rates, and you learn something new every day!! A Gb is not the same as a GB. A Gb is a Gigabit (or about 125MB depending on how it is calculated). A GB is a GigaByte which is about 1000MB (again, depending on how it is calculated). So looking at that, it doesn't appear to be such a great deal after all .

That said, it could always be a typo. I can't imagine that they would offer such a small amount of data transfer. May be best to confirm it with Orange.

Mark

Like 0      
14 Jul 2008 4:48 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar
Just looked at the Orange website and it definitely states 1GB per month of data. Ohhhh, my head

Mark

Like 0      
14 Jul 2008 7:35 PM by jane b Star rating in Bedar, Almeria. 222 posts Send private message

jane b´s avatar
My brain hurts too - not helped by the fact that the page I looked at definitely has Gb not GB!!

www.fincalaserenidad.com

Like 0      
14 Jul 2008 7:50 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar
A Gigabit is 10 to the power of 9 or 1,000,000,000 bits.  There are 8 bits in a byte (a computer word) so a GigaByte is 1 million bytes or 8 million bits.  Therefore a Gigabit is 1/8th of a GigaByte, or 125 million bits as opposed to a thousand million bits in a GigaByte.  (actually 1,084,000,000 to be pedantic). 
Some computer companies advertise memory in Gigabits as it makes them sound bigger.  A 1 GigaByte PC will have 8 times the computing power (well, not exactly power, more processing ability) of a 1 Gigabit computer.
OK, geek time over.  Back to my Guinness (wonder how many Giga molecules make up a pint of Guinness? And would it still taste as nice if I drink Giga Molecules instead?)

Like 0      
14 Jul 2008 7:56 PM by jane b Star rating in Bedar, Almeria. 222 posts Send private message

jane b´s avatar
So I guess I get to draw the short straw and go to the Orange shop to ask the question - wonder if it will floor them!??

www.fincalaserenidad.com

Like 0      
14 Jul 2008 8:18 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar
Come on, you lot at the back!  Pay attention!  I stick a deliberate error in there by saying it is actually 1,084,000,000 when it's perfectly obvious it is only 1,024,000.000.  Tsk, tsk, you really must learn to stay awake in these lessons.  Tell em that lot, Jane, be interesting to be a fly on the wall explaining all that in Spanglish.
Buena suerte.

Like 0      
14 Jul 2008 9:13 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

alhruin de grande - long term let needed - 0 posts
cave house in Rojales - 1 posts
Driving Through France - 5 posts
co/co nut - 2 posts
Electric assist bicycles - 20 posts
Winter weather - 0 posts
HIGH COURT OF JUSTICE NOTICE RE: OVPI - 1 posts
Antequera Blues Festival July 08 11th to 26th (and its FREE!) - 0 posts
Guardamar/Almerimar/Villamartin/Duquesa - 0 posts
MOSQUITO BLINDS AND INSECT SCREENS - 2 posts
SETTING UP MY AVATAR ON E.O.S.WEBSITE - 1 posts
WANTED - PORTABLE AIR CON UNIT - 0 posts
hello from new member - at the 'should i?, shouldn't i? stage' - 8 posts
Car hire at Malaga Airport- full tank/full tank! - 20 posts
Spanish Lessons for my 2 children - 1 posts
Excange my NEW 2 Bed Apartment at LOS LOCOS BEACH for a 3 Bed House - 0 posts
Long Term Rent Wanted - 3 Bed House with Separate Apartment - 0 posts
Portable Air Con Unit Wanted - 1 posts
Happy 4th birthday Eye On Spain 12th July 2008 - 11 posts
Sending legal documents to Spain - 3 posts
Ant problem! - 1 posts
It's not just Spain where off plan goes wrong!! - 1 posts
TOWNHOUSE REQUIRED IN ALCIADESA BIRDIE CLUB FOR LONG TERM RENTAL - 0 posts
TOWNHOUSE REQUIRED FOR LONG TERM RENT AT ALCAIDESA BIRDIE CLUB - 1 posts
Scott Lucy,Living in the Sun? - 10 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 18

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x