working permits...

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
05 Apr 2008 12:00 AM by ismana Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Well hello does any body knows how hard it really is to land a job without any working visa? is it possible? what would be the wage? the situation is this im planning on going over to spain by the end of the year, im gonna meet somebody i met in California she's Spanish but i don't what could happened between us you know? but since i dont count with a lot of money i thought about getting a temporary job maybe as a waiter or somewhere where i can apply my English skills to make some extra money since i want to go so bad!! but i've never been to Spain and i will really appreciate any info or comments!

thanx                      -isma-

Like 0      
12 Apr 2008 12:02 PM by kronos Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Hi Ismana,

I just wrote about getting English teaching jobs in Spain  on another thread, so I don't want to repeat myself! But basically it's really quite easy as long as you go to a big city with lots of corporate offices (they all study English) or a place with lots of tourists. If you go somewhere with tourists, there may be enough stores, hotels, restaurants, etc. who will hire you for private classes. Another option is to contact EF -- I know that they do telephone English classes in Spain. My Spanish friend in Madrid, for example, has two classes a week over the phone with a teacher living in Cadiz!

You may even find work as a waiter or teacher... Or you could probably get a job cleaning or taking care of kids. In fact, many Spanish families like to have English-speaking nannies for their kids and may even give you free room and board.

The only problem with not having a working visa is you can't get a job in an office or anywhere with a lot of exposure to the public... In case the police find out and then the employer (and you) get in trouble. That's why you're stuck with "behind the scenes" jobs or with private families..

Good luck!

http://eslhell-thepaininspain.blogspot.com/

www.allthingsspain.net

Like 0      
28 Apr 2008 6:55 AM by ismana Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Hi KRONOS!!!

well first of all im sorry for the delay but i haven't been able to get on line lately i have a new job and it takes a lot time from me... but i really appreciate your advise  about  landing  job  in Spain  in my case  i found it really helpful  !!!  i  really understand the whole behind the scene job situation but i really thank you very much!!!

Like 0      
02 Jun 2008 7:17 PM by Robert H Star rating in Marbella. 63 posts Send private message

Hi Ismana,

It depends where you are from. If you are a European citizen, working in Spain is not a problem. In that case, you just get yourself a NIE number from the nearest national police station, which costs around 7 Euros. With that, you register yourself at the Social Security office and get a SS Number. These two documents you need when applying for work and get a contract. A normal contract initially lasts for three months, and includes a 15 day trial period. These contracts may be half time or full time. (20 hours pw or 40 hours pw) and more often than not states the basic wage only, (1040 Eur PM full time) and if you earn more, the rest is usually paid in cash when you receive your wages. In the catering industry, your wages also include a meal per shift. Tips are normally paid in cash and depends on how the employer orfganises that.

People outside the EU will find more obstacles, especially now that the unemployed figures go up. A Spanish consulate will give all the information you need.

Working behind the scenes is sometimes still possible, but very risky for both parties. Employers cannot take on any emplyees without a contract and without coverage in the SS system. If there is an inspection, fines up to 60.000 Euros are the norm per employee without papers. For the employee the risk is not being covered when he/she is ill, not getting paid, getting fired at will, and in some cases deportation if an inspection finds out.

Working on contracts can be covering a period of one year, after which an employee becomes an Indifinido employee. Temporary contracts do not have to be renewed by both parties.

Like 0      
17 Jun 2008 7:39 AM by gocat Star rating. 12 posts Send private message

Hi Isma,

As the previous post says if you have an EU passport you're entitled to work anywhere within the EU, but I'm guessing you're from California?  Being an EU resident I'm not sure of the procedure for getting a work permit however I would say that the work situation is getting harder all the time and foreign nationals, especially those without fluent Spanish will be at the bottom of the heap.  There was also a story in El Pais yesterday that the Spanish government plans to offer any legal immigrant who has been made unemployed a lump sum payment to return to their country providing they give up residency and their work permits and do not come back to Spain for at least 3 years.  This will give you some idea on how confident the government is about the state of the economy.

All the best,
Greg
GoCatalunya

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Perils of buying in Spain - 7 posts
Bank Guarantee - 1 posts
Bella Rotja Fadesa development - 0 posts
Hi - 0 posts
Christmas flights - 18 posts
Mobile costs - 7 posts
electiricity problems - 4 posts
Colinas de Lago-Los Balcones - 2 posts
just wanted to say 'hi' - 2 posts
Montemayor property for sale - 2 posts
Can anyone suggest any English owned companies in the Murcia region? - 6 posts
Flight from Newcastle to Malaga for sale - 0 posts
Estepona del Coral portal - 0 posts
Polaris - La Loma - 12 posts
Employed in UK live Spain - 1 posts
El Pinet,La Marina Elche - 1 posts
Long term car rent, from 1 - 6 months? - 2 posts
newcomers in Spain - 7 posts
Looking for a place from 7th May La Zenia Area. - 0 posts
A few questions before the big move, 12th May - 16 posts
Structural Survey - 1 posts
WARNING... ALMERIA .... MAYOR OF ZURGENA ARRESTED - 1 posts
Flexible, english speaking employment, nationwide in Spain - 6 posts
latest pictures thalassa visit www.nuevosvecinos.com - 0 posts
EDITING POSTS - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x