Al Mar El Mar

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
29 Jan 2008 12:00 AM by webster Star rating in Sunny south coast bu.... 86 posts Send private message

in Villaricos.  Excellently traditional food in both Spanish & English style.  Run by Richard Shepherd and his Spanish wife.  Very welcoming and very good value.  Recently included a small tapas bar.  The lunchtime set menu is extraordinary value.  Open all year round except Tuesday I think.

Like 0      
29 Jan 2008 7:24 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Hi Webster. I had to Google "Villaricos" to find where it was as you didn't put Almeria, CB with the title. As you don't put where you have bought in your profile it could've been anywhere. As I'm not in that area, I just thought I'd post. It's Almeria, folks.

Like 0      
29 Jan 2008 7:41 PM by nfm2862 Star rating in Welling, Kent & Al A.... 1460 posts Send private message

nfm2862´s avatar

Hi Webster & More

Sorry to be pedantic but the restaurant is actually called El Mar, La Mar - For those in the area who want to give it a try, I would recommend that you book.

We visited on the Friday between xmas & new year & it was pretty busy. We called in on the offchance & had no trouble getting a table but we heard the waitress tell another customer that even though they were really busy only one party of 2 people had actually booked, Very popular place so definitely one to book in the summer months.

They have a website www.elmarlamar.com & telephone number is (0034) 950 467 030

The seafood paella is exceptional & at €10 euros per person it won't break the bank.

I have to agree with Webster that the food & service is excellent.

Webster, do you have any more recommendations in the area? I have compiled a list of our favourites in Vera, Mojacar & Turre but am always on the look out for new places.

Noreen 

Noreen 

www.alandaluscarhire.com

www.vera-apartment.com

www.verathalassa.es 

Like 0      
29 Jan 2008 11:15 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Hi Noreen. I like "pedantic"  I recall one other review & it took members many posts to figure out  which one it was, because of the wrong name. It was actually posted by a (now) friend of mine on EOS & she & I often laugh at it now. Thanks for telling us more about this restaurant. Website's impressive & beautiful setting.

Like 0      
30 Jan 2008 7:51 AM by webster Star rating in Sunny south coast bu.... 86 posts Send private message

Sorry folks, and thank you Morerosado for pushing me into completing my profile.

So glad the changed name didn't change the review.  Los dos Mars (as we know it in the family) are popular but we have never had to book, not even on New Year Day.  Anyone got a real translation?

Other restaurants consistently good in the area, Noreen, in our own opinion are:

The chiringuito on the beach at Palomares just before the Repsol Garage.  This one is particularly good, although we've yet to find a bad one in the summer anywhere.

Fanny's at the top of Mojacar Pueblo

Argentinian in Garrucha though it is 'English' expensive and the steaks at Fanny's are as good but half the price.

And there is a great restaurant by the roundabout in San Juan de los Terreros whose name is escaping me at the moment, but is something like Casa Pepe.

Sorry, work stress getting the better of my Spanish brain!

All the best you lucky people out there permanently.  Roll on the kids completing their exams in the UK!!

Webster

Like 0      
30 Jan 2008 7:06 PM by nfm2862 Star rating in Welling, Kent & Al A.... 1460 posts Send private message

nfm2862´s avatar

Hi Webster

Thanks for the info. We are going out in a couple of weeks so may get a chance to try a couple of them.

I only said about booking because of how busy it was the first night we went. I have there number now & personally would book because I would be so disappointed if I couldn't get a table.

We actually came across it by chance when out for a drive around & decided to give it a try the next night. It was so good we went back the following night too!!

We thought the girls serving were superb - 1 English/1 Spanish - We even managed to book the table for the second night speaking in Spanish as the Spanish girl spoke no English at all.

It is a really great place & Richard took the time to come & speak to us to make sure everything was ok, which was a nice touch.

Noreen 

www.alandaluscarhire.com

www.vera-apartment.com

www.verathalassa.es 

Like 0      
09 Apr 2008 2:08 PM by jane b Star rating in Bedar, Almeria. 222 posts Send private message

jane b´s avatar

We went to El Mar La Mar for OH´s birthday celebration the other week, in a group of 14.  We had the wonderful Menu del Dia.  It really is exceptional and we took the view, why go and eat in the evening for more than twice the price when you can have that.  Unlike most MODs the wine included (half bottle a head) is of very good quality and the service is very attentive.

With the economic situation beginning to bite we have noticed more restaurants which used not to do MOD are now doing them and some even offering them in the evening.

www.fincalaserenidad.com

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

£19m Lotto winner - 3 posts
Spanish Government hides their banks troubles - 0 posts
swap your uk flat for my 2 bed penthouse - 0 posts
Does this amount sound okay to you tax people out there - 11 posts
About to buy - 17 posts
Camper Van Hire to tour Spain - 0 posts
What is the responsibility of The Townhall? - 8 posts
If you sell a Spanish property and buy another is there relief on capital gains tax? - 7 posts
Flights with British Airways - 40 posts
Towels and bed linen for the rental market - 17 posts
i need a long term let - 1 posts
One for you girls.... - 11 posts
Inland Auctions - 0 posts
FAO Admin: Contacting Rental Agents Problem - 5 posts
Long Term Unfurnished Property Wanted in Alcaidesa - 0 posts
Completion - 20 posts
Ford Transit Luton Van - 1 posts
4 birth caravan for sale - 0 posts
Van Hire - 0 posts
washing machine repair - 2 posts
DRIVING MEDICAL - 10 posts
Property off plan in Darro - 0 posts
Vera Playa area - 10 posts
"Expats under attack" - 2 posts
Shop needed to rent in Fuingarola? - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x